Help! - MB Kinect Crashing Immediately on Windows 8.1

Faceman09

chef

Excellent work sir.

I will fix the biometrics folder issue.

As for the kinect not hearing the commands, I will have to look over the code again.

It is strange that the speech recognizer object is not hearing the command.

I will also look at how the kinect app is ending its process.

I know it does take almost twelve seconds for the kinect to totally shut down, so if you start the app to quickly after shut down it may cause issues with the kinect being in use still.

It is good to know that the LED functions are working.

I will fix it. Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate the feed back.

Edited by chef

travelmanics

hi Chef,

tried a fresh install but i am afraid no joy, also tried a different designation but that also had no affect.    on a positive note the exe dies shutdown on exit but as you said takes about 10-12 seconds.  what i have noticed though is that whilst the app is loading the kinect flashes yellow/red but as soon as the app has finished loading it turns solid red and stays that way.  

1 other minor point after you have installed the program, on first run, even if you select "run as administrator" you still get an access denied error before the first splash screen where it asks you to install the LED software.  if you quit and rerun as administrator it works fine  

cheers

• Like 1

chef

@@travelmanics

Inside the media browser kinect folder structure is a file called "install-filter.exe" can you confirm that that executable is set to be run with admin privileges?

I am wondering if maybe the privileges of the filere exe is somehow getting changed when the installer is getting compiled.

This would cause problems.

Mbkinect should not have to be run as an administrator anymore, but if the exe doesn't get run as admin during first run set up that would explain the initial error ("access denied").

Running the app as an admin might also cause issues with the speech recognizer object. I will try and fix it.

Edited by chef

chef

Okay I fixed the "biometrics" folder bug.

I should mention that while the "Silde out Menu" is showing, the speech recognizer doesn't do any speech recognition.

I will have something new to test shortly.

chef

Ops this was a secondary project I have been working in and accidentally posted it here. Crap! I am getting tired. Lol....

Edited by chef

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

Ok. I am logged into the machine as an administrator. Regardless of whether I run the installer exe as "run as administrator" or not the install_filter.exe does not get set to "run as administrator" under properties

Therefore when I try and run the program for the first time I always get access denied

If I set the install_filter.exe to "run as administrator" then the error no longer appears.

Going to try and see if this affects the speech recognition and will report back later

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

Ok. I am logged into the machine as an administrator. Regardless of whether I run the installer exe as "run as administrator" or not the install_filter.exe does not get set to "run as administrator" under properties

Therefore when I try and run the program for the first time I always get access denied

If I set the install_filter.exe to "run as administrator" then the error no longer appears.

Going to try and see if this affects the speech recognition and will report back later

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

Ignore my last two post (sorry for the double post).  I have re-installed several times now and providing you run the installer.exe as "Administrator" the install-filter.exe also gets set to "run as administrator" in properties.  However, regardless of this you still get the access denied error on first run.  This is as soon as the splash screen appears and actually before you click "install LED".  A have attached a screenshot of the error below.  The strange thing is if you click quit and restart the app again then you dont get the error.  It is only on the first run.

what i have noticed though is that there is too install.exe files in different locations.  Probably not causing the issue but thought i would let you know

1.) C:\ProgramData\Media Browser Kinect\Resources\KINECT_LED

2.) C:\ProgramData\Media Browser Kinect\Resources\KINECT_LED\libusb\x86

Still no joy with speech recognition though I am afraid.  Even when install-filter is set to Administrator

535ad804308ef_Untitled.jpg

chef

@@travelmanics

Sorry it had been a couple days for a response.

Yes each install-filter exe is for x86 and x64 OS

I was wondering of you might try to run mbkinect again. This time could you try opening the speech options page and turning down the "speech sensitivity" to a really low number, like "10". Then attempt to give the "kinect" and "start listening" commands.

Before you do that would you mind opening up "recording devices", "microphone array properties"

Choose the "level" tab and turn the kinect microphone up to 100.

I think you will have more luck then.

If this works, I will have to some how programatically make these changes during first run.

Thank you again

Ben

Edited by chef

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

Thanks for the response.  I will check this tomorrow evening (UK time) and report back.  Working away today

• Like 1

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

OK.

I did what you advised after a fresh install of the kinect software.  Changed the levels to 100% (previously they were 10%) and then change the sensitivity in the Kinect app to 10.  Unfortunately nothing at all just a permanent Red light.  Also tried several other sensitivity setting but this made no difference.  

After doing this my Kinect stopped functioning saying it could not install the drivers.  A little strange but thought this may be caused by the multiple installs etc. so decided to do a complete uninstall of all Kinect software/drivers and start fresh.

Once all Kinect software installed I ran the Kinect install.  All went well.  When I do the "first run" configuration I still get the same errors as previously advised (i.e. access denied) but this time when I installed the LED filters the Kinect continued to flash green.  No yellow/Red indication.

Loaded Kinect app and the Kinect started flashing yellow/red and a permanent red once the app had loaded.  Checked levels were 100% and changed sensitivity to 10.  However, I still get no response from the commands "Kinect" or "Start Listening".  Also changed the designation again but that made no difference

So - where next?

Well I still have RC2.5 in my downloads folder so I extracted this to be Desktop and ran it.  Hey presto Kinect works and understands my commands - not 100% but progress - a bit.  Still get strange behaviour with MBC but at least it is understanding what I am saying.

I can only assume something has changed in your programme logic for the recognition of the commands between release RC2.5 and RC2.6.2

• Like 1

chef

Okay,

I have gone through the speech logic again. 

There has been some changes in the Server and MBC in recent builds which is causing remote control functions to not work at the moment.

The strange thing is that I haven't changed a whole lot on the recognition front for a while, so it has been hard to figure out what I did change.

It is there somewhere, so I will continue to search the code for the change. I am glad I backed up my work.

I will be in touch.

• 3 weeks later...
Cynful

Heya,

I've been following dev excitedly for quite a while now but, as I couldn't get my hands on a sensor, I've been content to just watch developments as they occur 'from the bench' as it were. However I recently bought a sensor and, after celebrating loudly and with gyrating dance movements, loaded up. Then came the problems. I truly hope it's something obvious and stupid on my behalf...

I'm a tech-loving clueless person, so the following will be in narrative form with only passing references to any technical jargon or in fact anything approaching sense... Any help from anyone playing around with this wonderful feature would be appreciated.

###################

Win 7 86x

MB3 server and client on same machine.

360 Kinect with powered USB plug.

(Kinect SDK 1.7 works fine and can use as microphone to control PC through Speech Rec)

Attempted build 2.1.6 Test Version

Orange Flash Screen - SDK - Led Filter (No red light, only flashing green) - Speech Training Splash (error - object reference not set to an instance of an object) FREEZE.

Deleted MBKinect

Established permissions and Control on folders and files

Repeat - Same process same effect.

Attempted earlier build 1.6.2 .. identical problems as with 2.6.1.

Attempted earlier build ?.?.? (Black screen version) No red light only flash green - Freezes if attempt face recog. Skip face recog 2nd time? hells yeah! OOOhhhh! Running! :)

User recog done.

No Kinect control of MB3.

Try 2.6.1 again.

Forget to delete MBkinect. Loads over. Runs 2.6.1 as completed (due to 0.mbk file existing?)

No menu screen. Oh wait up. Corner of splash screen menu in bottom right of screen. I'll hook up another tv and run extended. Heya! Menu on second screen! :D Set up. Woot Woot.

Okay. Not recognising anyone in the room. Biometrics still there ... biom's been changed since previous build? ... okaaaay, delete biom png thingies.. rerun user face recog ... done ..

Okay, choose device, designate, all kinds of things set up, train voice, train voice, train voice, train voice ... into the MB3 we go ... no voice control .. ooookay... turn Speech Rec back on. Woot! Can use standard voice control (enter, backspace, press a, move left 15) cool ... this is cool. Not Chef-worthy MB Kinect coolness, but still cool.

Delete everything and try fresh 2.6.1 install - "No reference" error frozen speeech train screen again ... bugger. Repeat above processes. Can at least control with voice for now.

Mainly the problem comes down to not being able to install the newer builds and a lack of a 'hook' between MB kinect and MB3... I know the bastard can hear me because the voice track in MB Kinect is accurate when I move around!

I apologise to anyone having to read this, I hope you understood some of it.

Any help appreciated.

• Like 1

chef

Hey @@Cynful

Yeah I am having problems.

You are correct that the 0.mbk file will decide if the first run has been completed.

Are you running a 64 bit OS?

I have changed some interface stuff to help simplify the entire thing.

I see you have chose a device to control. Did you start out by requesting the designation name?

"Kinect" by default?

Also, you mentioned that the LED didn't change colour?

If the filters where not installed properly then this might throw the whole thing off.

I believe that it comes down to the OS type.

In the program folder structure is a folder called resources.

In side that folder is an LED folder with some LED.exe files.

If you manually run one of these exe files with the LED change colour?

Also, I have apologize to you. I seem to lose testers as fast as I can find them.

I seem to have success controlling MBC only. The problem is that the web client doesn't return certain information that the kinect app needs. I have currently created a work around for this.

Perhaps, I had better release a new version  I have been working on, which changes how the app interacts with media browser, in hopes that it will work.

You could attempt to drop this EXE into your "Media Browser Kinect" folder and see how it goes. This is a quick fix, and may not totally fix all the issues commented above.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/mbkinect/kinect%20and%20control/bin/Release/Media%20Browser%20Kinect.exe

You'll want to copy over the old EXE. But again this may not fix the base line issue.

But, the more I read your experience, the more i think I have an idea what the issue is.

just need to know if your system is 64 or 32.

Edited by chef

Cynful

Thanks Chef. Got your message before I got your post :)

Ooooookay.

Win 7 : 32-bit system

Resources\KINECT_LED\*.EXE - None of these change the LED state of the Kinect.

Copied Kinect etc.exe over original exe in slap-dash-make-it-up-as-you-go working build I talked about in the previous post.

Splash screen - Unhandled Exception : C:\ProgramData\Media Browser Kinect\settings\users\Media One\folder.jpg. - Caaaaaaause it doesn't exist. :)

Ooooh. New interface and on primary screen. Nice :)

Speech Recognised: Test

Set Designation - "Media"

Set Device - MBClassic

Vocalise "Media" - Unhandled Exception : Could not load 'InitializeAssistance' from assembly 'MediaBrowser.Kinect.ReponseDictionary. Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neautral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'InitalizeAssistance' from assembly 'MediaBrowser.Kinect.ResponseDictionary, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at Core.SpeechRecognitionEngineEventArgs.SpeechRecognizedHandler(Object sender, SpeechRecognizedEventArgs e)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.SpeechRecognizedProxy(Object sender, SpeechRecognizedEventArgs e)

Bugger...

I'll try fresh install of build 2.6.1 with your new exe as replacement and see what happens.

Cyn

Edited by Cynful
  • Like 1

Cynful

Hmmmm kay.

Build 2.6.1 Installed

Replaced Media Browser Kinect.exe file

First Run Splash Screen - Finish Configuration

Form 1 - Unhandled exception: The RPC server is unavailable (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA).

Continue

Install L.E.D Filters

Reads as sucessful however is a blinking green light.

Manual attempt at LED exes remains unsucessful

Next

FirstRunSpeechProfileTraining - Unhandled Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Core.FirstRunSpeechProfileTraining.VB$StateMachine_53_FirstRunSpeechProfileTraining_Load.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>b__0(Object state)

Continue

Black Speech Engine Splash Screen with no exit strategy.

Wait.

Wait.

Make a Coffee.

End Process

Bugger...

Hmmm Postscript Side Note Thingy:

When the program terminates unexpectedly it seems to smeg up the microsoft kinect driver for PnP device - a simple click to fix but not something I was looking for at first.

Edited by Cynful
  • Like 1

chef

It is a 32bit system! Okay, I know the problem. You are the first 32 bit system tester, so I have to build a separate installer for 32bit systems.

This is a good thing:) give me a day and I will post a 32bit installer in the website

It all comes back to the driver filter failing because it is currently looking for 64bit system folders which don't exist on 32bit machines. So the app will fail and crash.

Also, speech recognition training for 32 bit systems are found in different folders than 64bit os's, so this is why the training is crashing as well.

I don't have a 32bit OS so I was unable to write a proper testable installer. But if it is okay with you I will attempt to fix this and get a 32bit installer going, since there is good reason to now :)

Edited by chef

Cynful

Thanks Chef,

Happy to help with the app in whatever meagre way I can. I've been looking forward to this for bloody years. Any testing you need me to run just throw the word. I teach during the day but my nights (aside from mountains of papers in need of reviewing) are free.

Glad to figure out the issue :)

• Like 1

chef

@@Cynful

Here is a 32bit installer to try. This should handle the LED Filters and speech recognition for 32bit machines.

thank you again for taking the time.  Please delete: "c:\programdata\media browser kinect" folder before installing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/MBK32bit.exe

there are other places in the app which may need attention for compatibility, but i believe this  version should handle the initialization of the program.

crap, the response dictionary wouldn't work with that last version because it had been updated. that makes sense. this version should handle it.'t

Edited by chef

Cynful

@@chef

Deleted Media Browser Kinect

Installed MBK32bit build

Run Media Browser Kinect.exe

Exactly the same errors as the previous 2.6.1 installer.

LED filter still not changing LED state and individual LED exes not causing change.

Unhandled exception same as previously on speech training again and not picking up any users (at least there is no list)

Cyn

• Like 1

chef

@@chef

Deleted Media Browser Kinect

Installed MBK32bit build

Run Media Browser Kinect.exe

Exactly the same errors as the previous 2.6.1 installer.

LED filter still not changing LED state and individual LED exes not causing change.

Unhandled exception same as previously on speech training again and not picking up any users (at least there is no list)

Cyn

@@Cynful

Does that speech training error happen when you press the next button on the LED Configuration page, right before the Speech training page opens?

Strange that the list of users also is not appearing. Did it appear before in the previous installer?

There must be an issue with the MBK client connecting to the server, but I can't reproduce this.

I also can't reproduce the speech training error, but I believe that it all falls apart when the filters are failing to install properly on a 32bit machine.

I am home now, and I am egar to figure out the issue. I'll be in touch.

I was wondering if you would mind getting a TeamViewer session together, there are some side apps I have to test the LED filters.

Edited by chef

chef

ah ha! i found a couple mistakes and fixed them! I know where the NULL object was....

Cynful

@@chef

That's pretty much exactly when the error occurs. :) Hope your recently discovered null helped with that.

Names didn't show in previous installers. The only intaller which worked was the one where you could skip face recog and all that. That one seemed to find and make the profile folders.

I have NO idea what a TeamViewer session is, but as long as it is outside my working hours then I'm keen to help however I can.

Annnnnd that's me for the next 9 hours.

Cyn

• Like 1

chef

I figured it out. I re worked the server client connection during first run. There were issues when I was trying to build a second connection. I worked it out, so only one connection is made. This will fix the issue of no user names showing on the speech screen.

As for the speech recognition training crashing, I believe that I have fixed that issue with 32bit machines. I had to create a condition specific to the OS type. Not to hard really (famous last words...)

One good thing is that if you have trained the speech engine already, then you will not have to train it again. Kinect uses an "in process" part of the windows seven engine, so training it again will only better the experience.

Next, I worked on the LED filters. This is going to need some testing. Fortunately, I could catch the other errors during debugging, but because I don't have an x86 OS, it is going to be a bit of trail and error.

I will post a new version here shortly.

• Like 1