Use Apple TV app without internet?

rbritton

rbritton

I'm trying to put together a media center setup for an RV where there won't be an always-on, always-available internet connection. I initially tried Plex but found its authentication and server discovery to be heavily tied to network requests.

After some searching, I found suggestions for Emby, which seems to work well enough from the web UI, but the Apple TV app won't even complete launching without an internet connection. Is this a bug? By design? Something that might be addressed reasonably soon? I've done iOS development for close to ten years, so I know the necessary device discovery and playback is at least possible from a technical level, but I don't know how high of a priority it is for this or if other design choices make it more difficult.

I realize I can use DLNA playback, and I will if I can't find any other option, but I was hoping for the more polished experience that a dedicated server/app pair provides.

corey

but the Apple TV app won't even complete launching without an internet connection. Is this a bug? By design? Something that might be addressed reasonably soon? 

This is by Apple design. Our Apple TV app is a TVML based app which is composed of XML and JavaScript which is downloaded from the Internet at startup time as well as while you're using the app. 

There is the possibility of re-architecting the app so it isn't dependent on the Internet but the assumption I believe we're operating under is that generally speaking the Apple TV is heavily dependent on Internet connectivity and re-architecting the app to not depend on an internet connection has a number of disadvantages that we're not ready to accept.

@@ebr correct anything I may have misstated :)

rbritton

This is by Apple design. Our Apple TV app is a TVML based app which is composed of XML and JavaScript which is downloaded from the Internet at startup time as well as while you're using the app. 

There is the possibility of re-architecting the app so it isn't dependent on the Internet but the assumption I believe we're operating under is that generally speaking the Apple TV is heavily dependent on Internet connectivity and re-architecting the app to not depend on an internet connection has a number of disadvantages that we're not ready to accept.

@@ebr correct anything I may have misstated :)

Thanks. I'll see if I can figure out something else then. Of the various mainstream streaming devices (e.g., Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, etc), the Apple TV is the only one I've found that doesn't just block the rest of the UI when an internet connection isn't present, which was my reason for choosing it.