NextPVR plugin help needed - logos & DVR naming convention

DigitalFool

DigitalFool
After finally throwing in the towel with WMC after latest update, I decided to move on try NextPVR. Everything seems to be working great, but I'm having a few issues.

First - if I used the NextPVR tuner in Emby (not plug-in), I got channel logos but I could only record one show at a time. So I switched to the NextPVR plug-in instead, but now I don't get station logos to load. What's the trick to get them to load? I'm using SchedulesDirect and that populates the guide fine.

Second - how do I get the recordings to put spaces instead of periods. My conversion to mkv is making episode folders on the root instead of show names since before all the recordings in WMC had spaces. I know there is settings in NextPVR, but not the plug-in.

Thanks in advance.

hi @@DigitalFool, if you're using the next pvr plugin then this is all managed with the next pvr software.

do your channels have logos in next pvr? and as for the recording file names, that is something that will need to be configured in next pvr.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

arrbee99

After finally throwing in the towel with WMC after latest update, I decided to move on try NextPVR. Everything seems to be working great, but I'm having a few issues.

First - if I used the NextPVR tuner in Emby (not plug-in), I got channel logos but I could only record one show at a time. So I switched to the NextPVR plug-in instead, but now I don't get station logos to load. What's the trick to get them to load? I'm using SchedulesDirect and that populates the guide fine.

Second - how do I get the recordings to put spaces instead of periods. My conversion to mkv is making episode folders on the root instead of show names since before all the recordings in WMC had spaces. I know there is settings in NextPVR, but not the plug-in.

Thanks in advance.

For your second point, did you see this under the file naming section)...

5a4acea46db85_NPVREmbyperioddot.jpg

DigitalFool

For your second point, did you see this under the file naming section)...

5a4acea46db85_NPVREmbyperioddot.jpg

I do have that unchecked - 'replace spaces with period character' did not make a difference.

DigitalFool

hi @@DigitalFool, if you're using the next pvr plugin then this is all managed with the next pvr software.

do your channels have logos in next pvr? and as for the recording file names, that is something that will need to be configured in next pvr.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

The answer to that is kind of 'no' - they were not in there originally so I copied a handful of channel logos in the necessary directory and they then showed up in NextPVR. They have yet to show up in Emby, however. It's odd that when using the NextPVR tuner, the logos did show. 

DigitalFool

I guess you refreshed the guide, under Scheduled Tasks...

I have - also restarted Emby. Is there something I need to restart/refresh with NextPVR?

arrbee99

Not as far as I know (which isn't very much). Personally, I usually have to tell NPVR to update its epg, but that seems to be because even though its set to update once a week, it doesn't actually seem too.

So when you switched from built in to plugin you removed any use of the built in settings, you didn't add the plugin ?

And you're using SD in NextPVR not Emby ? (though have no idea if that would make any difference or is even relevant...)

DigitalFool

Not as far as I know (which isn't very much). Personally, I usually have to tell NPVR to update its epg, but that seems to be because even though its set to update once a week, it doesn't actually seem too.

So when you switched from built in to plugin you removed any use of the built in settings, you didn't add the plugin ?

And you're using SD in NextPVR not Emby ? (though have no idea if that would make any difference or is even relevant...)

I didn't switch any settings in NextPVR when I removed it from Emby as a tuner and added as a plug-in. I had already removed the check when I was testing everything out after reading various threads to get everything working. I'm just trying to get it as close to WMC as possible.

Good point, I have SD setup in NextPVR AND in Emby, but not sure that would impact the logos and/or how the .ts file is saved.

arrbee99

In that case most people suggest using the built in Emby HDHomerun feature (from the same list where you found the built in NextPVR feature)

DigitalFool

In that case most people suggest using the built in Emby HDHomerun feature (from the same list where you found the built in NextPVR feature)

OK, set that up and everything is looking much better! Thank you, didn't even know that was an option.

Now a dumb question, how do I configure the recordings locations, etc since I don't see that in the HDHomerun setup?

Edit: I see that it is going to where I had NextPVR setup to go, which is fine I guess, but I'm not liking the structure of it at the moment.

Edited by DigitalFool

arrbee99

In the dashboard, the left hand list, there's a DVR option / tab / wotsit with recording paths.

OK, set that up and everything is looking much better! Thank you, didn't even know that was an option.

Just curious. How did you not discover this? You said you initially started using the built in next pvr option. The HD Homerun option is included in that same menu that you went through. Did you just miss it?

If you are still having issues with missing LOGO's, may I suggest checking the filenames of the LOGO's in this folder:

\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Channels

The filenames MUST Exactly match the Channel names in the Channel setup section of NextPVR or they will not display.

• Like 1

DigitalFool

Just curious. How did you not discover this? You said you initially started using the built in next pvr option. The HD Homerun option is included in that same menu that you went through. Did you just miss it?

Creature of habit - been doing the same thing with Emby for years. So when I looked into other options besides WMC, NextPVR seemed like the next best, that is what I was focused on and totally overlooked HDHomeRun as an option when looking at the list.

One final question - is there a way to lop off the "series" folder and even the "season" folder and just have recordings go to show folder with show title/season episode/episode title? Again, creature of habit :) 

DigitalFool

If you are still having issues with missing LOGO's, may I suggest checking the filenames of the LOGO's in this folder:

\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Channels

The filenames MUST Exactly match the Channel names in the Channel setup section of NextPVR or they will not display.

I've moved on to using the HDHomerun tuners which seem to be working out well so far.

Creature of habit - been doing the same thing with Emby for years. So when I looked into other options besides WMC, NextPVR seemed like the next best, that is what I was focused on and totally overlooked HDHomeRun as an option when looking at the list.

One final question - is there a way to lop off the "series" folder and even the "season" folder and just have recordings go to show folder with show title/season episode/episode title? Again, creature of habit :)

What do you mean by lop off?

DigitalFool

What do you mean by lop off?

I have my recordings in a TV folder and each folder is the series name (eg, ./TV/Seinfeld). Inside each folder I just have the show names labeled with 'Seinfeld SXEXX-episode title. With the recordings with Emby, I get ./Series/Show/Season (./TV/Series/Seinfeld/Season 1) - just wondering if there was a preference that wouldn't route to a series folder, and would prefer not to have seasons separated, but that isn't a big deal.

@@DigitalFool there is no preference for that yet because emby tv libraries currently require series folders. If the recordings didn't save this way then you wouldn't get the nice series displays. In the future we'd like to be able to accommodate a more mish mash folder structure and then such an option would be realistic. thanks.

DigitalFool

@@DigitalFool there is no preference for that yet because emby tv libraries currently require series folders. If the recordings didn't save this way then you wouldn't get the nice series displays. In the future we'd like to be able to accommodate a more mish mash folder structure and then such an option would be realistic. thanks.

That's fine, I'll just reorg my media folders. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help!

One last question, is there a log file specific to recordings? I had a program set to record and it didn't and wanted to see what the reason was.

Edit: Looks like I couldn't even tune into a station, it just spins on the guide. After I restarted Emby, I can tune and channel now records.

Edited by DigitalFool

It's just the regular log. IF you can find the log from that timeframe we can try to look at why the tuner was pre-occupied.