Emby app on Synology keeps stopping

dvanthuyl

Mdrodge

So at the moment all is running well and it almost never stops....

But for some reason it's currently using 5.57GB of RAM. (it's a good job i have the 8GB model ((DS916+ 8gb)) ) 

I think that's a bit high.

The largest video i have in my library is 3gb and i haven't played a video in 16 hours.

(the cpu usage was low so i don't think it was transcoding)

I stopped the server app and restarted it and it went down to the normal 135mb but in the time it's taken me to type this its at 500mb.....600mb.

...memory leak???...

maybe that's what's stopping the server app

Edited by Mdrodge

It's mono based and mono apps tend to run high on memory. Once this is transitioned to .net core this shouldn't happen anymore.

• Like 1

Elfman

I just started testing Emby on my Synology DS1815+ using a Docker image.  It had been running completely fine for several weeks when I notice it started crashing on a consitsent basis.  I have disabled my Collections plugin and turned off realtime monitoring on all library folders with no luck.  The container loads just fine but as soon as I click on a media item, the server crashes.  I can consistently create this error.

I am running Emby Server 3.4.1.0

Attached is my most recentl log file.

Much appreciated.  Fortunately, this is just for testing purposes and my Windows Server Emby server is rock solid. 

I do realize I have a ServerWMC Recordings permission error in there, which is fine.

Any help is appreciated.

embyserver.txt

I just started testing Emby on my Synology DS1815+ using a Docker image.  It had been running completely fine for several weeks when I notice it started crashing on a consitsent basis.  I have disabled my Collections plugin and turned off realtime monitoring on all library folders with no luck.  The container loads just fine but as soon as I click on a media item, the server crashes.  I can consistently create this error.

I am running Emby Server 3.4.1.0

Attached is my most recentl log file.

Much appreciated.  Fortunately, this is just for testing purposes and my Windows Server Emby server is rock solid. 

I do realize I have a ServerWMC Recordings permission error in there, which is fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi, can you try removing these plugins and see if that has any impact?

2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading RokuMetadata, Version=3.1.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/RokuMetadata.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.PushOverNotifications, Version=3.1.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/MediaBrowser.Plugins.PushOverNotifications.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading CoverArt, Version=4.0.72.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/CoverArt.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading wmc2mb, Version=1.1.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/wmc2mb.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.299 Info App: Loading statistics, Version=2.0.4.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/Statistics.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.299 Info App: Loading Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue, Version=2.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.dll

Thanks.

Elfman

Hi, can you try removing these plugins and see if that has any impact?

2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading RokuMetadata, Version=3.1.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/RokuMetadata.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.PushOverNotifications, Version=3.1.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/MediaBrowser.Plugins.PushOverNotifications.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading CoverArt, Version=4.0.72.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/CoverArt.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.298 Info App: Loading wmc2mb, Version=1.1.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/wmc2mb.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.299 Info App: Loading statistics, Version=2.0.4.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/Statistics.dll
2018-06-23 15:31:31.299 Info App: Loading Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue, Version=2.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /config/plugins/Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.dll

Thanks.

Uninstalled and server crashed shortly after.  Restarted the server to test.  So far so good.  Will test today and let you know.

Ok, admittedly, we are not testing the docker package on Synology due to the fact that we have a dedicated Synology package. In fact, it's been reported that on the beta channel, the Docker package won't even start on Synology, although I'm not yet sure that will affect everyone or not. If it does start for you then there's a chance this crashing may be resolved, as I think it's happening in a layer that isn't ours. Thanks.

Elfman

So after removing the plug-ins, things seems to have stabilized.  I have also turned back on real time monitoring to see if that impacts things.  So far so good.

Understood about Docker v Native package.  I prefer docker due to its flexibility and isolation.  If this starts acting up, maybe I'll give that a try.  

Do we know if this can be isolated to a particular plugin?  I'll add them back one at a time and do some testing.

Thanks again!

It's hard to say unfortunately as i'm not familiar with the code for all of them. You could always try adding them back one at a time.

Elfman

Narrowed it down to The Cover Art or Auto Box sets.  Definitely one of these two plugins that is causing this.  Easily repeatable. At least in my case. 

All my other plugins seem to work fine and do not crash the server when I click on a specific media.

Cover art would be more likely as it utilizes the skia graphics library, and if there's a crash in skia's native layer then that's the type of thing that would crash the server without any error message.

FrostByte

I've got the Backup, Boxsets, and Trailers plugins and I haven't had a single reboot since the last stable release.  I would guess it's CA also if it's a plugin issue

Edited by FrostByte

Elfman

I must have tested Boxsets too closely to CA as I got a crash after playing with it but I bet I didn't restart the server after I uninstalled. 

So yeah, Cover Art seems to be the bad apple in this scenario.

I will continue to monitor for stability over the coming days.

I've got the Backup, Boxsets, and Trailers plugins and I haven't had a single reboot since the last stable release.  I would guess it's CA also if it's a plugin issue

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello All

It won't be Skia, as this is disabled by default in the current releases, as we weren't happy with the reliability.

There was a sharp increase in the number of 'unexplained' failures being reported.

@@Elfman, if possible please can you run the send logs utility: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

I should be able to tell you what the cause of the crash is, once I have this.

Best

- James

He's actually using our docker container and not the native Synology package m

solabc16

Hello

Ah right, yep, see that now. Any particular reason for running the Docker version in this instance?

It’s a great option to have available, but for the majority of cases it’s not going to be the best option for Synology/XPEnology based Emby systems.

@@Elfman, how about trying the platform optimised package and seeing how you get on? As you’re only testing at this point, it’ll wouldn’t take long to make a comparison and once you’ve uninstalled it you’re back as you were.

Best

- James

Elfman

When I bought my Synology, I don't believe there was an official installer created at time so I went with a stand alone server for my Windows server.  Been running that version since going lifetime.  Shortly after that, I started learning about Docker for other apps to run on my Synology and got several up and running.  Since my Windows install runs smoothly, I hadn't ever considered switching but when I did, I just saw there was a Docker version available and decided to give it a go.  I didn't even know there was an offical package available.

Now that there is, I will give that a go and go from there.  I just like using Docker because I am familiar with it and gives me some flexibility where files are stored(logs, artwork, etc).

Regardless, I will give the official package a go and do some testing.

Thanks!

Hello

Ah right, yep, see that now. Any particular reason for running the Docker version in this instance?

It’s a great option to have available, but for the majority of cases it’s not going to be the best option for Synology/XPEnology based Emby systems.

@@Elfman, how about trying the platform optimised package and seeing how you get on? As you’re only testing at this point, it’ll wouldn’t take long to make a comparison and once you’ve uninstalled it you’re back as you were.

Best
- James

• 8 months later...

Was this log from after it had occurred? if so then the previous log would probably be better. Thanks.