Any way to set MB Server to deinterlace?

leebo

So I tried to watch my DVD rip (DVD folder on HDD VIDEO_TS) of Haunted the other night, but the interlacing was very noticeable. I ended up watching it on Netflix instead.

Today I checked playback in the web client, but it showed the same issue. I know it's not simply because it's a DVD, because last night I watched the DVD rip of Fruitvale Station, and it did not have this issue.

Funny thing is, I don't know whether Haunted was shot on video and transferred to film, but I'd be willing to bet Fruitvale station was since it's obviously low budget.

So my question is, is there a setting somewhere to tell the server to deinterlace? I couldn't find any.

Server version is 3.0.5171.19958

Tikuf

Deinterlace is actually in the server it just hasn't been added to all the typed that it needs to be added to yet.

@@Luke we could add the auto deinterlace to dvd type (it will drop the conversion rate a little) but it should be ok.

well we already deinterlace if it is detected as interlaced, it's just that our detection needs to improbe

well we already deinterlace if it is detected as interlaced, it's just that our detection needs to improbe

OK. Since it also happens in the web client (I did mention in my original post) I didn't think it mattered which other client I was using.

But yeah, I thought it was weird that one DVD showed interlacing and another did not. Anything the end user can do to make help the server detect a DVD as interlaced?

Fruitvale got de-interlaced, and I didn't notice any buffering. The only issue I had was my MB server machine going to sleep several times (not sure why since Fruitvale isn't boring ;)

Luckily I have the Ceton MyMediaCenter app on my phone and it has WOL.

Tikuf

It may just mean that there is not a flag on haunted indicating it is interlaced in which case there is not much we can do about it. A blanket deinterlace everything is not going to work as de-interlacing non interlaced source will affect the quality.

What about a button or something? For instance, VLC has a switch under Video in the file menu. Though it would have to be available in the client, since you never will know if you need it until you hit play.

I wonder if I convert it to mkv would it continue to play with visible interlacing?

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

OK. Since it also happens in the web client (I did mention in my original post) I didn't think it mattered which other client I was using.

You still didn't say what the original client was ;).  Yes, you said it "also" happens in the web interface, but what were you using the first time?

It matters because the different apps use different methods for playback.  For instance, if it was MBC or MBT (in most instances) then the server would not be involved at all and it wouldn't matter what features it had for de-interlacing.  This is why I asked. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry. Haven't been back to check this thread till tonight.

Roku. Roku client. So since I was already using the Roku, it was simple to switch to Netflix to watch the movie.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

• 3 weeks later...
bakerja

I am having deinterlace problems also.  Most of my home recordings are 1080i and when I use the library viewer in media browser, it lists the video as progressive: 

}

Media Streams:

[
    {
        "Codec": "h264",
        "IsInterlaced": false,
        "BitRate": 14273667,
        "IsDefault": false,
        "IsForced": false,
        "Height": 1080,
        "Width": 1920,
        "AverageFrameRate": 29.97003,
        "RealFrameRate": 29.97003,
        "Profile": "Main",
        "Type": "Video",
        "AspectRatio": "16:9",
        "Index": 0,
        "IsExternal": false,
        "PixelFormat": "yuv420p",
        "Level": 40
    },

We're actively working on the interlaced detection, and when this is complete, you won't have to worry about a way to tell it to deinterlace

• 4 weeks later...
bakerja

We're actively working on the interlaced detection, and when this is complete, you won't have to worry about a way to tell it to deinterlace

Just wondering if there has been any progress on the deinterlace issue.  I uninstalled MBserver until it gets resolved.

Thanks