Emby doesn't fully disconnect from Chromecast after exiting

cnstarz

cnstarz

Good morning, Emby Team.  I recently purchased a Sony Bravia XBR-75X580E and I was having a problem where the TV was automatically switching to the built-in Chromecast source randomly and automatically turning itself on randomly and displaying the built-in Chromecast source.  I've narrowed the problem down to Emby as it only application that stays connected/reconnects to the built-in Chromecast even after the Emby Android app has been disconnected from the Chromecast and exited.  After disconnecting Emby from the Chromecast and exiting the Emby app in Android, after a few minutes the TV will automatically switch back to the built-in Chromecast which displays the black Emby screen indicating that Emby has somehow reconnected and casted to the built-in Chromecast.

These are the steps I take to close down the Emby Android app:

1. Stop playback of any media
  2. Click the Chromecast icon and select "Disconnect"
  3. Click "Yes" at the "Would you like to close Emby on the device?" prompt

At this point, the Emby app is still open and displayed on the phone despite just clicking to "Yes" in Step 3 to close Emby on the device, but is seemingly not connected to any Chromecasts.  The built-in Chromecast is also no longer displaying Emby which also indicates that it is not connected to Emby at this time.  I click the Home button on Android to go to the Home screen, and a few minutes later the TV switches back to the built-in Chromecast and displays the black Emby screen indicating that Emby somehow reconnected to the Chromecast by itself without any user interaction.

The only work-around I've found that prevents Emby from reconnecting to the Chromecast on its own is:

1. Re-open Emby app in Android
  2. Reconnect it to the built-in Chromecast (don't play any media)
  3. Disconnect it again from the Chromecast by clicking the Chromecast icon and select "Disconnect"
  4. Again clicking "Yes" at the "Would you like to close Emby on the device?" prompt 
  5. Force close the Emby app in Android

How can I fix this permanently so that Emby does not reconnect to the built-in Chromecast after I've already disconnected from it?  It's kind of a hassle (and a first-world problem, honestly) to have to force-close the Emby app in Android to get it to do what it told me it was already going to do but didn't do.  Thank you!

hi @@cnstarz, in response to:

At this point, the Emby app is still open and displayed on the phone despite just clicking to "Yes" in Step 3 to close Emby on the device, but is seemingly not connected to any Chromecasts. 

What this means is that it will close Emby on Chromecast, not on your smartphone. Were you expecting the entire app to close after clicking Yes?

cnstarz

hi @@cnstarz, in response to:

What this means is that it will close Emby on Chromecast, not on your smartphone. Were you expecting the entire app to close after clicking Yes?

Ah, I see.  Yeah, I interpreted that statement to mean that it will close Emby on my device because it explicitly says that Emby will close on my device.  If that's not the case and the intent for that dialog is to be a confirmation dialog of disconnecting Emby from the Chromecast (vice closing Emby on the device), then my recommendation is to reword that dialog to reflect the same verbiage that you already have in the app when disconnecting Emby from the Chomecast; that is, reword it to say "Are you sure you want to disconnect Emby from your Chromecast?"  Just my feedback.

But, back to my issue, is there a way to ensure that Emby has permanently disconnected from the Chromecast after it's been told to disconnect?

Happy2Play

Ah, I see.  Yeah, I interpreted that statement to mean that it will close Emby on my device because it explicitly says that Emby will close on my device.  If that's not the case and the intent for that dialog is to be a confirmation dialog of disconnecting Emby from the Chromecast (vice closing Emby on the device), then my recommendation is to reword that dialog to reflect the same verbiage that you already have in the app when disconnecting Emby from the Chomecast; that is, reword it to say "Are you sure you want to disconnect Emby from your Chromecast?"  Just my feedback.

But, back to my issue, is there a way to ensure that Emby has permanently disconnected from the Chromecast after it's been told to disconnect?

When you select the cast device don't you see the name of the device you are disconnecting from?

5a49bc9d09797_cast.jpg

cnstarz

When you select the cast device don't you see the name of the device you are disconnecting from?

5a49bc9d09797_cast.jpg

Yes, I see that -- but what about it?

Thanks for the feedback. We will update the disconnect confirmation to make that more clear.

As far as automatic re-connection, I haven't seen that in my testing but i will perform some additional testing to see if I can observe this behavior. Thanks !

• 9 months later...

I seem to be having the exact same issue with reconnecting after a while when the app is in the background. Force closing the app solves it but I tend to forget it. Any ideas what could cause it?

• 2 months later...
eci_thump

This happens to both me and my wife with the app on both our phones. Especially when you swap straight from casting Emby to say YouTube or a Chrome tab