Emby App Crashes When Playing Videos

rhummer

Hi,

When attempting to play most videos via the Emby App on my Samsung TV the app will either crash when starting to play a movie or a few seconds into the movie playing. I've tried playing the extra features for some of the movies that cause the app to crash and some do work, others do not.  There are movies that do work, and comparing the media info they are for the most part the same.  Bitrate values are the only difference.

Samsung model number:

UH65H7150AFXZA

Samsung firmware version:

Samsung Emby client version #

Emby Server Info:

Version 3.2.50.0 - Synology DS1515+

Server log attached.

Media Info:

5a47b7221b53b_SMMediaInfo.png

Thanks!

SamsungPlayBackLog.txt

Edited by rhummer

hi @@rhummer, that's interesting, thanks. haven't seen an app crash on video playback before. We have a new update 0.111 that has just been approved. Hopefully Samsung will launch it sometime next week. Let's see what happens with that version, thanks.

FrostByte

Does your M4V contain DRM?  I know that container is used by iTunes movies.

Also, my H-series manual doesn't list M4V as a valid container.  Though technically it's the same as MP4 inside

rhummer

Yeah, playing through the webapp is fine. I can play on the TV via DLNA. and I can play the same video on the iPhone & XBOne apps (granted only the 1 minute preview since I don't have premium yet, still doing my evaluation).

There should be no DRM, I rip my blu-rays and encode them via handbrake. I can play some videos just fine and I rip/encode them all the same way.

I'll look at getting you guys the file in question, or a much smaller one.

Edited by rhummer
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Also, as a test you can try and play the movie from usb drive connected to the tv using the built in Samsung media app.  If it Direct Plays then the file should be good with no transcoding needed. 

I'm running the same year hub on my one tv so I can test any sample also

Edited by FrostByte

rhummer

Ok, an update here.

I copied some videos to a thumb drive, and they work just fine, after changing the extension to mp4 so the TV would see the files in the drive.  Another positive is I found a small file that exhibits the behavior. a 70MB file.  I'm uploading that now.  @@FrostByte, I imagine you'll want a PM with the information?

Since it's a different video then what I was referencing in my initial post.  I've attached updated info about the new file and a new server log. The new video in question is 'Thor Ragnarok Trailer.m4v'.

.5a4d9dfa95572_VideoInfo.png

SamsungPlayBackLog-1-3-18.zip

Edited by rhummer
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Well, probably not what you want to hear, but that trailer Direct Plays fine on my TV using Samsung app v111.  I've tried it several times with no issues.

https://pastebin.com/t5ZFVCFv

I'm assuming that's the latest firmware for your TV.  The website doesn't list 2200 so they probably aren't updating it any more.  Sometimes updating the firmware has been the answer.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2014-led-tv-h7150-series

rhummer

heh, definitely not what I want to hear. :)

I'm going to play around with my tv a bit more. I was looking at my firmware before I came here to post my issue, and I did find it odd that I have a newer firmware than what is shown on the website.  I wonder if they pulled it.  I'll see if I can downgrade the firmware, among other things.

If I find out anything interesting I'll report back.

Thanks for the assistance!

FrostByte

I'm not sure you can downgrade firmware, thought I read over on the Samsung developers forum that it wasn't possible.  Never tried it myself though :)  It's very possible that page isn't updated too.  I was just wondering if you had checked for a later one lately.

The only thing that looks different is that you are running a different version of server and off a Synology.  I'm running the latest beta on Windows. 

Have you tried playing the movie from Emby after you renamed with an mp4 extension?   The user manual says it doesn't support m4v, though I had no issues with it as a m4v.

I didn't see anything odd in your logs, but maybe Luke can take another look.  It should play from Emby though since you had it playing from usb, so there's an issue somewhere.

rhummer

Yeah, I was digging on the firmware and found that out too. It appears I *could* through the system menu, but I'd rather not brick my TV. :)  It appears the firmware came out late Q3 of 2017. So maybe their site just lags behind on showing the firmware release. *shrug*

I'll give it another go when the server package for Synology is updated. I did rename the video on my server to .mp4 and it still failed.  It's interesting that the videos that fail fail right away or with in the first few seconds of playback.