Shrinking Movie Posters

mellomade

mellomade

As a long time user of the ATV app - I have been noticing that the movie (and tv) posters have slowly been shrinking in size presumably to fit more posters into the field of view.  

I think it has gotten to be a bit much - and quite out of line with Apple's own interface which is 6 posters horizontally.

Having 8 posters horizontally might be OK for an 80" screen, but they are starting to get a bit tiny on <40" screens.

Thoughts?

I took a month or two off from development so I wasn't around for the change or have knowledge of the motivation behind it but I wonder if we're at a point where we need to expose a 'poster size' setting so users could tailor it to their preferences but within the general guidelines of Apple say ( 3 - 9 items per https://developer.apple.com/tvos/human-interface-guidelines/visual-design/layout/).

If that's something that sounds interesting and @@ebr agrees I can add a feature request so we don't lose sight of it.

• Like 1

mellomade

I took a month or two off from development so I wasn't around for the change or have knowledge of the motivation behind it but I wonder if we're at a point where we need to expose a 'poster size' setting so users could tailor it to their preferences but within the general guidelines of Apple say ( 3 - 9 items per https://developer.apple.com/tvos/human-interface-guidelines/visual-design/layout/).

If that's something that sounds interesting and @@ebr agrees I can add a feature request so we don't lose sight of it.

If you guys are willing to do this I think this would be the best solution.  Thanks!

The problem comes from the fact that our app can show both thumbs and posters on the same row. To do this and have it look decent we have to have both of those have a constant height and then this makes either the thumbs too big or posters too small.

We can still do some tweaking to find a better middle ground.