Music naming strategy

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Dear sirs,

I have a music album according to:

Album name: "Jazz at Massey Hall"

Album artist: "The Quintet"

Genre: Jazz

But on each of this album's track, there are only the actual names of the jazz musicians who took part on that track.

There is no "The Quintet" as artist on no track.
Artists on the tracks are: "Bud Powell; Charles Mingus; Charlie Parker; Dizzy Gillespie; Max Roach"

Emby correctly:

- Grabs artists from tracks and lists the tracks on each artist page;

- Grabs "The Quintet" as the album artist and lists "The Quintet" under album artists; and

- Correctly filters "The Quintet" as a "Jazz artist" when the Jazz genre filter is applied to album artists.

But Emby gives no result when I search for "The Quintet".

I wonder this is just a search problem and thus the strategy to define each artist per track is "Ok" or I should not follow this stragegy.

You see, in jazz, artists are of great importance but I think this is really important for other genres...

If I would like to search for "The Beatles" or specifically tracks with "George Harrison" this would be a useful stragegy.

How should I proceed?

Edited by EduardoSantos
  • Like 1

Hi, are you running the latest version of emby server? I'm unable to reproduce the problem as I'm able to search for all artists. thanks.

Hi @@Luke

I can reproduce this. I think the issue in the example in OP is that the album artist "The  Quintet" returns no results, correct me if I am wrong @@EduardoSantos. In jazz there are a lot of combinations of artists that appear under "album artists" and various ways to categorize them. 

Here is a visual example of the problem from my library.. The album artist is "Bela Fleck & the Marcus Roberts Trio"

5a464db9f15b7_bella.png

The individual track list just the two artists Bela Fleck, the Marcus Roberts Trio.

5a464f577d2f6_search.png

Search returns no results for the album artist.

-vicpa

EduardoSantos

Tested again with another album.

Same thing.

Emby will not list "album artist" as a search result unless the album artist is also on the track as "artist".

• 3 weeks later...
EduardoSantos

Thank you very much, @@Luke.

May I abuse a little bit more of your patience?

I am an early Emby user. From the time there was a “MediaBrowser” embedded in Windows Media Center…

I've been using Emby intensively as THE music player and have installed it for various customers who would always give their feedback.

Now, I know Emby main focus is probably not the music but...

Facts are there is a bunch of details on Emby's interface regarding music which could be improved/corrected and would really make the difference.

I've been postponing all these issues - there are various of them - and stuck to actual bugs.

But being a software engineer I see these issues and keep thinking how could some focused effort would leverage Emby’s music capabilities to a new level.

Would Emby’s developer’s team be interested on a structured user interface analysis of the current implemented functions?

The focus would mainly be problem and ambiguity resolution.

Please feel free to tell me if this would be of any use.

Edited by EduardoSantos
  • Like 1