Embedded Subtitle Troubles

jrcorwin

jrcorwin

I am having all sorts of trouble with embedded subtitles. I have tried every combination of settings I can think of. They are not appearing when viewing via Apple TV (4 and 4K models) or via the web portal. These same files work perfectly through my Plex server and with Kodi however. I am using Emby Server Version 3.2.60.0 on MacOS. 

For the purposes of this post, the file I am using as an example is the German film Downfall (Der Untergang) from 2014.

(Note: All of my films with subtitles...either foreign language films or films with portions in a foreign language...are embedded.)

5a41c8a544eee_ScreenShot20171225at105543

Log-2.txt

jrcorwin

Update: They DO seem to work if I, while playing the video on one of my Apple TV's, pull down from the top to access the menu and turn the subtitles from "Auto" to "English." That shouldn't be necessary if the subtitles are flagged as forced though, right?

Edited by jrcorwin

So it sounds like they just weren't turned on? I would check your emby user profile settings by clicking your user icon in the top right of the web app and setting your subtitle preferences.

jrcorwin

So it sounds like they just weren't turned on? I would check your emby user profile settings by clicking your user icon in the top right of the web app and setting your subtitle preferences.

I have tried it with default, auto and only forced on. 

5a41cf3ea1b59_ScreenShot20171225at112342

jrcorwin

Here is another wrinkle. When using the embedded and forced subtitles...the subtitles section of the drop down Apple TV menu while playing doesn't even appear. My only options are "Info" and "Audio." 

If I download subtitles first via the Emby web portal, the subtitles will then only work if I choose those new subs...play the video via my Apple TV...access the drop down menu...and switch the subtitle option from Auto to English. 

Again, the embedded and forced subs I already have in the file play perfectly with everything other than Emby. Very, very strange.

jrcorwin

Can you try them in the web app and manually enable them? Thanks.

Yes, I have just tested it. With the embedded subs manually turned on...I get nothing. With the downloaded subs (via the option in Emby to do so)...they work. Seems very odd that my embedded ones aren't working.

The embedded subs say they are "SUBRIP" and the downloaded ones are "SRT."

Edited by jrcorwin

jrcorwin

Just for the hell of it, I tried an experiment. I created a copy of the movie I am testing and removed my embedded subtitle track and remuxed it with the subtitle track that Emby downloaded. It didn't work. It still ONLY works if I use the a non-embedded subtitle track AND toggled subtitles from "Auto" to "English" from the Apple TV drop down menu while playing the movie. 

Thanks. Is this the original file or did you cut a sample? if you cut a sample then please verify the issue occurs with the sample as well. thanks !

jrcorwin

Thanks. Is this the original file or did you cut a sample? if you cut a sample then please verify the issue occurs with the sample as well. thanks !

This is the original file

jrcorwin

I know you are busy, but I wanted to see if you have had an opportunity to look I to this further. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

In the web app these subtitles are playing fine for me. What are the specs of this system and what kind of storage is this video on? Thanks.

jrcorwin

In the web app these subtitles are playing fine for me. What are the specs of this system and what kind of storage is this video on? Thanks.

5a63a56273104_ScreenShot20180120at31831P

All of my videos are hosted on Google Drive, mounted locally with PlexDrive. Playback on both an Apple TV 4K and a standard Apple TV 4.

Edited by jrcorwin

Ok well that seems to explain it. Trying to extract the subtitles before playback is going to take a long time when the file is on google drive.

We need to look into a new way of playing these subtitles. The workaround for right now is to acquire external text based subtitles. Our subtitle download feature can help with that. Thanks.