HDMI vs Displayport vs USB-C Thunderbolt 3

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

This is for people playing 4k HDR and using an HTPC/NUC. I've just upgraded to a 4k HDR TV and my motherboard has three video outputs, which are the title of this thread. The HDMI port is 1.4 and doesn't have enough bandwidth to support 4k at 60Hz, so I tried using the Displayport with an active adapter. I should mention that I'm connecting through an AVR. So the adapter converts from Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0. As many of you know, HDMI 2.0 supports 4k. Using this method I had great picture quality, but the audio would momentarily drop out, periodically. This was a problem, for me. So I've been trying various ways to resolve this. I then looked at the possibility of using the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port. Researching the capabilities, Thunderbolt 3 has a bandwidth of up to 40Gb/s. HDMI 2.0 has a bandwidth of 18Gb/s. So I bought and just received this USB-C to HDMI cable. I've been testing it for the last 45mins. and playback has been perfect. I highly recommend trying a cable like this if you have the port, available. Thunderbolt 3 has twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

Guest asrequested

A quick follow up. I just assumed that I needed an active displayport adapter, but apparently I didn't. If it has ++ , you can use a passive cable/adapter. It's worth checking if your GPU has this, before buying. Here are the details my GPU. The ++ is present.

5a44826e36312_Snapshot_382.jpg

Here's a link that explains in more detail.

https://www.startech.com/faq/displayport_converter_dp_multi_mode

Edited by Doofus