Automation on Emby Server

CarlosLima

CarlosLima

Hi,

Since 2010, every day, I use Kodi in my home theater and in conjunction with Global Caché and iRule, Kodi is fully automated.

I've also used Emby Server Premiere since 2016 as a unique Kodi scraper and to share collections with remote clients. I have now chosen to use Emby Server as my video player and would like information to automate Emby's functions.

Thank you

• Like 1

AgileHumor

I'm heavily automated at home (lights all motion activated in every room). At wakeup time the tv turns on (via global cache), thermostat gets warmer, lights slot ramp up, and kodi plays NBC so wife can watch Today.

Sadly, Emby has no automation ability without heavy custom coding.

I've asked, devs just not interested. It needs a simple https trigger (without authentication) would be needed for key functions.

Also, another reason not ditching Kodi is Emby Theater front end don't support pip security cameras (along security camera pop-ups without interrupting main media).

You can have kodi as front end (with emby add on) and emby as backend for a good automation setup.

Check out HomeSeer as one of the better smart hub systems that I've used. Has Kodi plug in, plus many others (hue, nest, kodi, Zwave, synology surveillance, global cache, etc)

I've asked, devs just not interested.

You haven't asked an Emby developer because nobody ever said "not interested".

CarlosLima
Hello, thank you all for the information.

I'm actually opting to use Emby Server for the videos because I understand that for songs, Kodi far outweighs features and layout.

The automation I've developed for Kodi is something simple and basic, just power on and off, navigation, and shortcuts to commonly used functions. Everything works perfect on the iPad, iPhone and tablet with Android, and being very used to using the device as a remote control, I would like to be able to automate Emby too.

I think one way to start this process of automating Emby is to find a physical remote control that is compatible, maybe an MCE standard and so I can use the MCE Controller to copy the remote control keys and use everything on the device.

Automating the Emby Server should even be something that your developers need to pay attention to, after all, we are in a very dynamic world and using keyboard and mouse in mediacenter, is something that does not look modern.

Hugs and a Merry Christmas to all of the Emby Community.

CarlosLima
I'll try.

The Emby Server on Windows has full keyboard / mouse navigation.

Automating the Emby Server means using a tablet or smarphone instead of the keyboard and mouse.

This is what I do in Kodi.

Does Emby Server have API or navigation commands (Hexa codes) can be provided? That's all I need to have to automate Emby and share in the community, so everyone can use it as well.

Merry Christmas !!!

AgileHumor

You haven't asked an Emby developer because nobody ever said "not interested".

You should Google this forum for "home automation" and see the ignored posts...Or post you replied and said I needed a token and authentication (like every other client app) for home automation features integration.

Also, asked for security cam features in theater app... And it was ignored.

Kodi has all of this already. So until many users are clambering for it...im not expecting emby to be a automation capable system...when most automation systems have kodi plug in that work well for this niche.

So, I don't have power to make devs reply to a post... I just know it's been asked many times before....and stated that as a fact that it is not even on devs plans (as 0 road map communicated). Thats fine, just setting others expectations.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25409

Edited by AgileHumor

I'll try.

The Emby Server on Windows has full keyboard / mouse navigation.

Automating the Emby Server means using a tablet or smarphone instead of the keyboard and mouse.

This is what I do in Kodi.

Does Emby Server have API or navigation commands (Hexa codes) can be provided? That's all I need to have to automate Emby and share in the community, so everyone can use it as well.

Merry Christmas !!!

Yes emby server has an api.

You should Google this forum for "home automation" and see the ignored posts...Or post you replied and said I needed a token and authentication (like every other client app) for home automation features integration.

Kodi has all of this already. So until many users are clambering for it...im not expecting emby to be a automation capable system...when most automation systems have kodi plug in that work well for this niche.

So, I don't have power to make devs reply to a post... I just know it's been asked many times before....and stated that as a fact that it is not even on devs plans (as 0 road map communicated). Thats fine, just setting others expectations.https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25409

Feature requests are never ignored. We actively monitor them for community support and feedback from your fellow members.

• 1 year later...
sfatula

So, I don't have power to make devs reply to a post... I just know it's been asked many times before....and stated that as a fact that it is not even on devs plans (as 0 road map communicated). Thats fine, just setting others expectations.https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25409

You can send commands to Emby API from iRule, you get an access token from the server dashboard API keys section and just use it as part of the url to do a GET command. The key doesn't expire as far as I can tell.

From the main dashboard page, scroll to the bottom and click on api to see and play with various functions. It's actually pretty easy. Whether or not you can do every specific function you may do now, don't know as it depends on the details of course.

Here's a simple GET to acquire channel info from an ID in the guide, it's just an example likely not useful to you:

http://serverip:8096/emby/LiveTv/Channels/12345?api_key=yourkey
I've found the api quite fast, can download the entire program guide in under a second for example.

For keyboard / mouse commands, not sure emby api has those. A standard iRule tool to help is eventghost.

Edited by sfatula