Manually setting recording path per recording.

guynamedbilly

guynamedbilly

In the Live TV settings you can set Recording Paths for movies and series, but there are some occasions where it would be handy to have a custom recording path set when you schedule a recording.

For example,  I have separate folders and libraries for Kids Movies and Kids TV Shows as well as my regular Movies and TV Shows folder.  If I schedule something for the kids, when I'm scheduling the recording I'd like to have an option to automatically send that recording to the Kids Movies folder.  I'm imagining that being in the settings menu, when looking at the recording through the guide.

Edited by guynamedbilly
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
swhitmore

This would be a great feature. I've just started using Live TV, and my daughter already wants to start recording her own shows. It would be great to be able to put these in her 'Kids' folder.

In the meantime I might setup a batch script to move them over from a default folder. I'm guessing this will break the recordings folder though.

Edited by swhitmore

andyblac644

In the meantime I might setup a batch script to move them over from a default folder. I'm guessing this will break the recordings folder though.

don't think it will break it per se, but you probably  end up with duplicates as emby will not be able to track what you have already recorded.

swhitmore

don't think it will break it per se, but you probably  end up with duplicates as emby will not be able to track what you have already recorded.

Thanks. I tried to write something, but I couldn't work out a trigger for when Emby is finished recording.

andyblac644

Thanks. I tried to write something, but I couldn't work out a trigger for when Emby is finished recording.

check for modified date time thats has not changed in 5 mins say ?

Edited by andyblac644

swhitmore

check for modified date time thats has not changed in 5 mins say ?

oooh I like that. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
seth2958

Came here to put this in as a feature request and saw several threads asking for already. So I thought I'd add my two cents here.

When I used Plex a few years ago, there was already a custom recording paths feature. It was really nice because not only could I have Plex record specific shows to any directory I wanted, I could also define my MCE Buddy (commercial skipper software) rules off  the file directories. Without custom recording paths, I need to manually move files around a lot more and do awkward file pattern matching and folder swapping for MCE Buddy rules...and I have to do a lot more manual work in general with recordings.

Anyway, I see that this is already on the radar. Hopefully this will get some priority for the next release maybe pretty please (with a cherry on top)? I've been hoping this would be added during the couple of years I've been enjoying Emby. Thanks for making Emby so great.

Edited by seth2958

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
dschaper

Any kind of feedback available? How far along in the process, any roadblocks, ideas or attempts that didn't pan out, priority of the tasks left to accomplish?

• 2 weeks later...
MBSki

@Luke Could you maybe just add a couple more folders, like for kids shows or other genres? I'd like to record my kids shows to Emby, but if I do it'll get mixed with my shows.

• 6 months later...
AmiralRichter

I hope work has been done for this feature because it would help me with the multi language setup that I have. A folder for TV in english and a folder for TV in french. Thanks super devs!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just ask a question about this.  Didn't realize it wasn't already included.  Users certainly need their own folders.  Don't believe me, ask my wife.  She doesn't want to see my Star Trek stuff in her folder.  

I know you are still working on it and it will get done when its done.  Maybe someone could point out how to script along side of Emby so I could move the files myself until you get it fixed.   Maybe Python script on my Synology?  I already made up folders for the family and made it so they could only see their own and the shared folder.

Anyway, Ideally, my suggestion would be to create a folder when a user is created and only show the shared folder and maybe their own folder.  It hides the rest unless the admin gives them permission to see the others.  When the user schedules a recording, by default the program is saved it their folder unless they select to allow it to be shared.  Which would be in the recordings folder.  Another way is to tag it as the users name and allow them to filter only their tagged videos.  That might easier.

But anyway, I like your idea guynamedbilly.

• 9 months later...
ember1205

So, we're going on four years in this thread without it being implemented yet. Plex has had this since before this thread was started. Are we going to see this anytime soon? To me, this is "table stakes" for a DVR function. I have at least four different folders / libraries that I am actively recording into at any given time based on who the recording is for or what sort of audience will be watching it (or when - I have one where I record holiday movies off of TV only).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, ember1205 said:

So, we're going on four years in this thread without it being implemented yet. Plex has had this since before this thread was started. Are we going to see this anytime soon? To me, this is "table stakes" for a DVR function. I have at least four different folders / libraries that I am actively recording into at any given time based on who the recording is for or what sort of audience will be watching it (or when - I have one where I record holiday movies off of TV only).

Hi, yes it's planned for the future. Thanks.