3.2.60.0 Service

LurchZA

I did see the topic about updates failing, but it does not really relate to what I am experiencing.

I run Emby as a service on Windows 7 x64.

I got prompted this morning to update manually from 3.2.36 to 3.2.60.

Stopped the service and ran from the website.

After rebooting the machine I was unable to start the service, and also noticed that the system tray icon was not there, but, the server is up and running (it is showing in my task manager running under SYSTEM).

post-665-0-61680200-1514006342_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-17958900-1514006352_thumb.jpg

Anybody else experiencing this?

Logs attached.

server-63649609145.txt

server-63649609212.txt

server-63649609271.txt

Ermmm... so got it working after 30mins...

Why the rush to get a new version out - change freezes are there for a reason!

Pushing a new release out that is clearly under-tested two days before Xmas is not ok.

Cheers

BTW:  Do very much appreciate your amazing work but...

I am unable to install the new update 3.2.60.0. It says to reboot to finalise the installation, but the server never reboot and I have to reopen the emby server, and it is still the 3.2.36.0 version. 

Hey. I am experiencing the same exact thing. Came here to check. Unfortunately it keeps crashing the service completely so I have to remote into my machine and restart. Hopefully this is fixed fairly quickly with the holiday weekend.

• Like 1

The very first thing to do here is try installing from the website over top of your current installation.

Doing that is going to fix almost all of these issues I believe.

• Like 1

The very first thing to do here is try installing from the website over top of your current installation.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I personally have already tried that, but can try again.

Emby server reboot, or PC reboot?

Both server and PC reboot in my case.

If you're on Windows 7 please also make sure that windows updates are fully up to date. thanks.

I can confirm that Windows is up to date.

drashna

I've noticed this as well.

The MediaBrowser.ServiceApplication.exe is spawning "EmbyServer.exe" and giving a "Failed" error for the service.

Setting the service to use the new EXE fails outright.

Meaning that the old and new executables are not setup to run as a system service on Windows.

I would go into windows service and set the old emby service to disabled.

No.  

Because you're telling us that you've removed functionality, rather than changed or added. 

You've taken way the ability to run as a service natively.  

I want an way to run Emby as a system service natively. Not to "disable the service", and use shit like NSSM or Task Scheduler.

Because at that point, there is little to differentiate Emby from Plex.   (user management, CoverArt, and CSS being the only things that stand out to me). 

This feels like a slap to the face to users. 

• Like 2

drashna

NSSM?  

No thanks. 

https://github.com/dasMulli/dotnet-win32-service

(this was a link in the SECOND search result, which was this:

http://www.ben-morris.com/running-a-net-core-console-application-as-a-windows-service/)

Or I can just install Plex and go back to using the Task Scheduler. 

If you depreciated the main EXE, why not set it up as a service EXE to handle this, rather than forcing users to install another piece of software because YOU couldn't be bothered to maintain the existing user experience.

On more than one occasion Windows 10 updates throughout 2017 have impacted windows services and required developers to make changes. That's taken it's toll and gotten to the point where we'd rather be spending our time on media management and not troubleshooting windows services.

Another nuance with the previous windows service is permissions to media folders. We were constantly troubleshooting this because many users didn't understand that the windows service runs under a service account. Now with NSSM you choose all of these things up front and we haven't had to deal with that at all. I apologize for the change but in exchange for the five minutes required to set it up you're getting new levels of performance and stability within the server, partially due to the new platform that it's running on, and partially due to improvements we've been able to make thanks to having more developer time and decreased troubleshooting time.

• Like 3

Happy2Play

What are the advantages of running as a service vs running as a process?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A process requires you to login and a service will can start without a user logging in.

GhostRider

We have a new process for running as a service that i think you will find equally effective:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50992-how-to-run-emby-server-as-a-windows-service/

Once setup, there really is no difference from before. Thanks.

NSSM web site recommended the pre-release version if running Windows 10 Creators edition.

Do not known enough about Windows 10 to understand why Creators edition is different, I thought it was just a simple command line call to setup a service.

Edited by GhostRider

This is what I did while experiencing the same symptoms.

We have a new process for running as a service that i think you will find equally effective:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50992-how-to-run-emby-server-as-a-windows-service/

Does re-installing/updating require users to re-accomplish the service setup?

Edited by AJNinGA

A process requires you to login and a service will can start without a user logging in.

I have to login to emby server as it is. Are there performance gains to be had too?

In limitted use I see already a reduction in CPU usage and a slightly faster response in ET using emby server as a process.

Seams more work to run as a service so what's the upside?

I have to login to emby server as it is. Are there performance gains to be had too?

In limitted use I see already a reduction in CPU usage and a slightly faster response in ET using emby server as a process.

Seams more work to run as a service so what's the upside?

The only upside is that you don't have to login a user for it to run.  If you don't care about that we highly recommend just running as a normal process.

drashna

The only upside is that you don't have to login a user for it to run.  If you don't care about that we highly recommend just running as a normal process.

Why, exactly? 

If it's network issues, there are two ways to handle this:

• Enable Authentication when setting up network shares
  • Set the logon credentials for the service

Both are fairly simple, and would solve that problem.

If it's for updating, then you fixed this issue: 

Add to the MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe process, so that it's not just a loader, but when using as a service, that it manages EmbyServer.exe. 

This way, you have a system service for those that want it, and a way to handle automatic updates.

Something that "many" users have been asking you for years.

it would be a win-win, rather than leaving some users feeling like they're being shat upon

Edited by drashna

"The very first thing to do here is try installing from the website over top of your current installation."

I'm sorry but what does this mean exactly. I'm not tech savvy. Please excuse my ignorance. Does this mean the dashboard?

The server keeps crashing. Every time I reload, the dashboard tells me:

The following components have been installed or updated:

MBServer (3.2.60.0)

Please restart the server to finish applying updates

In recent activity it says:

Emby Server has been updated
12/24/2017, 1:59:16 pm
Version 3.2.60.0

When I restart the server, it just repeats the above process ad infinitum. It will work for a few minutes and then crash again.

What do you recommend?
Thanks

I was having Emby server crashing when I went into movies while scrolling through it would just stop, and I had to restart the server for it to stop again.

Once I setup the service that issue went away and I could get to and play a movie now.

So changing it has fix the issue I started to have with the latest version.