Live stream probing as a configuration option?

fc7

Hi Luke,

I just checked the github release page before updating Emby to 3.2.60.0 and unfortunately I found this in the release notes:

* Remove live stream probe to improve start time

I understand that this is supposed to be an enhancement since live tv streaming will start faster but for some user like me this decision is an important setback. The reason is that without probing Emby can't tell if the live tv stream has subtitles or different audio tracks. This may not be relevant for users in the US but in many other countries, and more specifically in Europe where I live, is very common that TV broadcasts have subtitles and audio track in different languages available. So for example a movie in a FTA channel may be broadcasted with spanish and english audio tracks and also with spanish subtitles available.

Now that live stream probing was removed, we are stuck with the default audio track and no subs.

I guess the probing code is still around since if I enable stream probing in the TVH plugin (which I contributed in the past) Emby is successfully probing the stream and showing the audio and subs options in the player. :)

Would it be possible to add a configuration parameter to enable or disable live tv stream probing in the server dashboard?

It doesn't matter if it's disable by default but this will allow users to enable it if needed (like in my case) assuming that streaming will have a small delay before starting.

I can switch back to the TVH plugin for live tv but in the last months I got used to the built-in live tv support and I'm happy with it.

I hope you understand.

Thanks.

Fer

I don't believe am option is necessary. If you're having an issue, then let's please look at the issue. Thanks !

Thanks for the reply.

Basically the problem is that without stream probing subs and additional audio tracks are not available when watching live tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and what we're going to do to get the best of both worlds is we're going to probe after the stream has been opened. We just haven't added this part yet. Thanks.

Understood. Is there any ETA for this to happen? Next release?

In the meantime I went back to the TVH plugin and enabled the option to probe streams there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk