Access SMB share and add it to a library

jemus

Blockmove

That's not currently possible. It would have to be anonymous. We plan to support credentials in the future. Thanks.

Something new on this topic?

Is anyone working on it?

For me and i think for many others share access with credentials would be usefull.

Mounting a share local is just "pain in the ass"

Thx

Blockmove

Mounting a local share really is the best way because it supports all features of smb and all versions of the smb protocol. Otherwise we have to build all of these things ourselves. Is smb really what you want us spending our resources on, rather than media playback and consumption?

• 2 months later...
juro1971

Mounting a local share really is the best way because it supports all features of smb and all versions of the smb protocol. Otherwise we have to build all of these things ourselves. Is smb really what you want us spending our resources on, rather than media playback and consumption?

Hi Admins,

to be honest, YES.

I think SMB is a common protocol and supported by a lot of OS, NAS, Routers. I my case I will totally remove my media server. Typical client server constellation are to oversized today, based on the fact that a everting moves to cloud.

My idea is just to use a fire tv stick(s) with kodi and emby server (on one stick ) installed. A network hard drive is connected via Fritzbox USB 3.0 SMB share to the network. Kodi is up and running, emby is up and running. Hardrive is up and running. Unfortunately now emby does not support to connect media folders to an SMB share. Kodi does. So for now I have to use kodi as stand alone solution. Fire TV Stick has no native support to connect to smb share also to external drives. The application is required to support this.

This would be the killer combination for me! Maybe for a lot of other people as well?

Thanks!

JuRo

I think SMB is a common protocol and supported by a lot of OS

But we can just use the support from the OS. Why do you see this as a problem?

juro1971

But we can just use the support from the OS. Why do you see this as a problem?

Android does not support SMB, also not access to an external USB device is allowed. Application, in this case emby, needs to support this

I understand, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about platforms that do support it.

juro1971

?

I talk about the fact that emby does not support SMB , but it would make sense from my point of view.

And as I explained the Fire TV Stick has everything what you need, no additional server hardware would be required. I see a huge potential for emby. See how many users have already a Fire TV Stick.

Edited by juro1971

?

I talk about the fact that emby does not support SMB , but it would make sense from my point of view.

This topic is about adding an SMB library to the Synology server. 

• 5 months later...
nick naim

I have a similar setup as described by several posters here. I am running emby server on an Ubuntu machine. The media files are on a separate NAS. I have mapped the media share on the Ubuntu machine and it is working fine for the most part, but every once in a while I am running into the same issue: If the CIFS mount fails because the NAS is offline for example and emby server does a library scan, it deletes the entire database. The same behavior has been reported in this thread by @minos.

This can be quite frustrating: The library scan will restore most of the database, but it takes quite some time. What's even worse is that all playlists and collections are gone and other manually entered/modified metadata.

Being able to add libraries directly as smb shares with credentials, would alleviate that issue (I hope). Alternatively, it would be helpful for people with a similar setup, if emby would just stop a library scan if it detects a large number of files or entire folders are missing.

8 hours ago, nick naim said:

I have a similar setup as described by several posters here. I am running emby server on an Ubuntu machine. The media files are on a separate NAS. I have mapped the media share on the Ubuntu machine and it is working fine for the most part, but every once in a while I am running into the same issue: If the CIFS mount fails because the NAS is offline for example and emby server does a library scan, it deletes the entire database. The same behavior has been reported in this thread by @minos.

This can be quite frustrating: The library scan will restore most of the database, but it takes quite some time. What's even worse is that all playlists and collections are gone and other manually entered/modified metadata.

Being able to add libraries directly as smb shares with credentials, would alleviate that issue (I hope). Alternatively, it would be helpful for people with a similar setup, if emby would just stop a library scan if it detects a large number of files or entire folders are missing.

Hi, no, the same situation could happen with SMB. We're looking into better handling of offline media.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Luke @solabc16 I'm thinking about buying a second SYNOLOGY. In order for me to have the media from that SYNOLOGY B displaying on the SYNOLOGY A, the only working method to add library shares is still this one below?

I'm asking this since I've tried tinkering around the "Network" button on the library of the Emby Server and I'm one of the cases where it doesn't display anything, so I was wondering if I could reach my second Synology this way or the preferred method would still only be the one listed above, from 2016

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest mounting the network path to a local folder using the tools in the Synology OS. Then add the local path into emby server.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 12:23 AM, Luke said:

I would suggest mounting the network path to a local folder using the tools in the Synology OS. Then add the local path into emby server.

Sorry for the late reply. So basically following the post I placed above?

When you say "add the local path into emby server", the "emby server" would still my first synology, correct? 

Also: Is there a way to fully copy an emby installation in order to mirror it/move it to a new synology in case I would like to make the switch?

Edited by djhifi

On 12/18/2020 at 10:27 PM, djhifi said:

Sorry for the late reply. So basically following the post I placed above?

When you say "add the local path into emby server", the "emby server" would still my first synology, correct? 

Also: Is there a way to fully copy an emby installation in order to mirror it/move it to a new synology in case I would like to make the switch?

I would take a look at our backup guide here:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

If you have any questions that it doesn't cover, please let us know and @cayars will add more information into the article. Thanks.

I am attempting to mount the network share as a local share in windows 10 but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.  Also will this method allow any security?  As I understand it right now you have to give everyone on your network full access to your shares for emby to use it.

4 hours ago, bxsteez said:

I am attempting to mount the network share as a local share in windows 10 but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.  Also will this method allow any security?  As I understand it right now you have to give everyone on your network full access to your shares for emby to use it.

Hi there, what have you tried? Yes it will support security.

• 2 years later...
hapylestat

6 years passed, nobody even tried to add support for authorization.   Mounting it in the system is just workaround, same as enabling anonymous access. Both of them are security threads.  

What even more outrageous - i'm running Emby in docker, and need to mount shares on host system and then share them as volumes inside docker. Workaround on workaround...

18 minutes ago, hapylestat said:

6 years passed, nobody even tried to add support for authorization.   Mounting it in the system is just workaround, same as enabling anonymous access. Both of them are security threads.  

What even more outrageous - i'm running Emby in docker, and need to mount shares on host system and then share them as volumes inside docker. Workaround on workaround...

This will be in the upcoming 4.8 server release but even with that we still recommend mounting on platforms where it is possible.  In fact on platforms where it is possible we are considering disabling the built in smb and having the user interface instruct you to mount. It is not a workaround, it is the better way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 11:04 AM, Luke said:

This will be in the upcoming 4.8 server release but even with that we still recommend mounting on platforms where it is possible.  In fact on platforms where it is possible we are considering disabling the built in smb and having the user interface instruct you to mount. It is not a workaround, it is the better way to do it.

Is this only for SMB and not other protocols?
What about Windows installs running as a Service?

3 hours ago, Carlo said:

Is this only for SMB and not other protocols?
What about Windows installs running as a Service?

With the server on windows, the smb support is built into the OS, so Emby Server just uses that. My previous comment was about all other platforms other than Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
hapylestat
On 7/13/2023 at 6:04 PM, Luke said:

nice to hear! 

Mounting solutions have a huge disadvantages. When samba client loses connection, files disappear for Emby and it treats it as files were removed and removing them from the index. When the shares come back - it reindexing the whole library, what takes ages and stress the metadata sites... 

So - even if it is "mounted solution", it would be good that Emby could detect it or some setting near folder selection (idk) - that instead of removing the files from the index - mark them as temporary inaccessible and remove only during manual reindexing.   

It could be disabled offc. by disabling real time monitoring, but it apply to the whole Library. It could be nice to apply it to the folder level ....

Edited by hapylestat
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 6:33 PM, hapylestat said:

Mounting solutions have a huge disadvantages. When samba client loses connection, files disappear for Emby and it treats it as files were removed and removing them from the index. When the shares come back - it reindexing the whole library, what takes ages and stress the metadata sites... 

So - even if it is "mounted solution", it would be good that Emby could detect it or some setting near folder selection (idk) - that instead of removing the files from the index - mark them as temporary inaccessible and remove only during manual reindexing.   

Curious how you are mounting these?  Are you mounting these in a part of the library that already exists and has a parent path already listed i the library setup?
If so, try creating a new area on disk that is not part of any current library.  In this new area, remotely mount your external file location so it looks something like this:

/ExternalMounts/NAS1-TVShows
/ExternalMounts/NAS2-Movies

So the above shows a new folder created called "ExternalMounts".  Under this you add 1 new mount point for each parent path you wish to add to your Emby Library. The above shows mounts to two different NAS boxes.

Next add a new library path to your existing library. For example for your Movies library you may have something like:
/volume1/Media/Movies
/ExternalMounts/NAS2-Movies

The library now has 2 entries to find files.  If either of these parent paths return no files/folders Emby should ignore them without removing anything. Emby would be smart enough to recognize there is a potential problem with the path and skip it vs removing/adding them anytime the path isn't available.

Carlo