Access SMB share and add it to a library

jemus

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to add a smb share as a path to one of my libraries.

The point is, my server doesn't run 24/7 but of course my router, which provides the smb share, does.

The posters and *nfo files which belong to the media on this share would be saved there too, and I could access them via Kodi even if the server is not running.

So I read and tried but unfortunately I failed.

I set the path like that:

smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@IP/path

When I enter it like that in the library, I'm able to see all the containing subfolders, but after saving the settings I get an error while scanning the library:

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

So I wanted to know, is there a different way how this has to be done or is it just not possible?

LG

Okay so I already searched if it was possible to grant anonymous access to the storage unfortunately it is not.

Is it possible that this function is implemented in the future?

Or is it just that too few people would actually use that?

The workaround in the meantime is to mount that smb path to a local share in synology and then add the local share to emby.

• 2 weeks later...
GoodFellow
I'm brand new to Emby but was able to set up something similar.

In my case, I have two Synology servers: Elaine and Jerry.  Emby is running on Elaine and I have video shares on both servers that I want to access from four Amazon Fire TVs running Kodi.  The videos all have local .nfo files in each separate video directory.

First, Emby is running with the default user, embysvr, on Elaine and this user needs to be able to access both the local shares (Elaine) and the remote shares (Jerry).  On Elaine, you need to grant read/write access for embysvr to the local video shares. 

To access Jerry's shares, on Elaine you set up a remote folder pointing to each share on Jerry.  This is done using File Station -> Tools -> Mount Remote Folder -> CIFS Shared Folder. These mounts need to be permanent and use a valid userid/password to access Jerry's shares (it does *not* need to be the embysvr account). For me, the shares on Jerry are named Jerry-1 and Jerry-2.

I created these remote mounts under the embsvr home directory for convenience. When you create the Emby libraries, you can refer to folders on the remote shares this way:

/volume1/homes/embysvr/Jerry-1/DVD-A-M

/volume1/homes/embysvr/Jerry-2/DVD-N-Z

This allows the embysvr account to access the remote shares to collect the metadata to be placed in the Emby library.

In my case, I also wanted the Kodi boxes to be able to play the content directly (smb access), not by streaming. This proved tricky for the remote shares. In Kodi you need to set up file sources (Videos -> Files -> Add videos) for each of the remote shares, and these video sources need to be created with valid userids/passwords to access those shares.  So, for example, I created two Kodi video sources, one for server Jerry, share Jerry-1, and one for server Jerry, share Jerry-2. Again, these video sources were created with valid accounts to access these shares (not the embysvr account).

In Kodi, these video sources need two other important characteristics. The Media Type for the sources needs to be set to "None" and the sources need to be excluded from media scans.  If you don't do this, the content from the folders will be added directly to Kodi's library as it normally would be (instead of through Emby).

The Emby libraries are then set up like this:

Folder:  /volume1/homes/embysvr/Jerry-1/DVD-A-M

Shared network folder:  \\Jerry\Jerry-1\DVD-A-M

So far, everything seems to be working fine and I can play the content from both the local and remote folders, but I'm still in my first few days of working with Emby (which I like a lot, by the way!).

Hope this is of help!
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

any updates here? just waiting still for the real smb support in Emby for Synology

the workaround is ok but if the second server is shortly offline the hole fileexplorer in DSM is not proper working.

oh i dont know that!

now i try it but i get always with the right path

The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

where i have to put the login data?

Edited by minos

thx i try it but that second server is a win10 maschine.

but win10 dont oben the folder for anonymous :(  

if i google a lot of people have that problem, maby it a windows 10 bug.

path like that is not possibel?

//user:pass@destination.com/share

\\yourUNC\path /user:uname password

solabc16

...here's some screen shots, this is a scenario where it makes sense to take advantage of the inbox functionality you have with DSM.

It's pretty straightforward and reliable :-

5bf4085377cde_FileStation_Remote_Mount1.

5bf4086a64082_FileStation_Remote_Mount2.

5bf409f369c92_FileStation_Remote_Mount3.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

yes i have it 2 years long like that!

but its not always working good, if the server with the folders are offline the hole DSM file explorer is not working proper!

it needs a long time until he is realizes that the second server with the folders is offline and so long i can do nothing on the synology

thx i try it but that second server is a win10 maschine.

but win10 dont oben the folder for anonymous :(  

if i google a lot of people have that problem, maby it a windows 10 bug.

path like that is not possibel?

//user:pass@destination.com/share

\\yourUNC\path /user:uname password

That's not currently possible. It would have to be anonymous. We plan to support credentials in the future. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
_delete_my_profile

Is there a better guide on how to setup a remote folder share from ONE synology nas so that emby running on a pi 3 can access it?

I stuck on the mount remote folder in the synology..  I get "You can only enter the IP or server name from another server" when trying to create a CIFS share.

i.e. I need to share a folder from my nas that already has movies in it without needing an username and password to connect to it.

Edited by niblettr

_delete_my_profile

never mind got this sorted, scanned media. played a video, worked. Went to gui on browser, saw homescreen, clicked dashboard icon. Emby crashed. REBOOT EMBY for the 50th time, click daskboard icon, emby crashes again! Seems every release of emby gets worse. had enough, DD cancelled. by bye!

never mind got this sorted, scanned media. played a video, worked. Went to gui on browser, saw homescreen, clicked dashboard icon. Emby crashed. REBOOT EMBY for the 50th time, click daskboard icon, emby crashes again! Seems every release of emby gets worse. had enough, DD cancelled. by bye!

Hi there, I apologize for your issue. We're happy to help if you can provide a little more information. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
minos

...here's some screen shots, this is a scenario where it makes sense to take advantage of the inbox functionality you have with DSM.

It's pretty straightforward and reliable :-

5bf4085377cde_FileStation_Remote_Mount1.

5bf4086a64082_FileStation_Remote_Mount2.

5bf409f369c92_FileStation_Remote_Mount3.

Best

- James

I do it like this, but when the second NAS is offline and Emby checks the Folders all files gets deltetet out of the DB.

Is there any solution?

I do it like this, but when the second NAS is offline and Emby checks the Folders all files gets deltetet out of the DB.

Is there any solution?

@@minos, we're happy to help. Please see how to report a problem. thanks.