v3.2.60 doesn't fully quit

vangeliis

ChrisJ60

The best thing to do right now is to keep frequent backups of the ~./config/data folder.

I do, but I am not confident of them; backing up database files while they are open typically yields a backup that when restored cannot be used. I am also using the Emby backup plugin but for me that is at the moment an untested situation. I need to verify that I can restore from those backups. Hence my desire to avoid potential database corruptions.

The next release of Emby Server will be updating to .NET Core 2.1. It may help with this issue. Thanks.

vangeliis

The next release of Emby Server will be updating to .NET Core 2.1. It may help with this issue. Thanks.

Hi Luke,

Can you build the beta for macOS so we can test it?

vangeliis

Hi @@Luke,

Initial testing with the above build shows it does not solve the problem with the lingering EmbyServer processes. How does it behave on your test machine?

post-244638-0-12789900-1527746571_thumb.png

Edited by vangeliis

It's always been fine for me but i think i will need to test on another machine.

• 1 month later...
vangeliis

Hi @@Luke,

Initial testing with the above build shows it does not solve the problem with the lingering EmbyServer processes. How does it behave on your test machine?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-31 at 06.58.48.png

Hi @@Luke

Just to let you know v.3.5.0.0 does not solve the problem with lingering EmbyServer processes after quitting the app.

ChrisJ60

Problem is still there with 3.5.0.0 which I just updated to.

Side note: I was prompted to update to this version but after doing so I see that it is marked as 'beta'. That's quite disturbing; I don't expect the software to recommend me to update to a beta version nor that the beta version is what one downloads from the main Emby download site. Wad this an oversight? Is 3.5.0.0 really a beta version?

No it's not a beta, that's just a tagging mistake. You won't see that in 3.5.1. Thanks.

vangeliis

Thanks for the info. We'll do additional testing on it.

Hi Luke,

Same problem with v3.5.2.0. 

• 5 weeks later...
sfatula

Yep, same problem here. Would a dump or trace of some sort help? 

ps waux | grep -i emby

sfatula          56536   0.0  0.5  6644768 118956   ??  S     9:43AM   0:12.41 /Applications/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS/EmbyServer
Edited by sfatula

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
SamES

I'm still seeing this in beta 4.1.0.24.  Let me know if you want a log

BananaManCJ

If I press "Exit," I still see the EmbyServer process running in activity monitor and cant start the server again. If I quit the process and then try to restart the server, It'll say that the program is unresponsive. It will only start again if I log out of my Mac and log in again. Is that the same problem?

P.S. I don't have any problems when I press "Restart Emby Server."

hstamas

Just as an FYI, as of beta 4.1.0.24 I still cant shut down cleanly. My routine is to shut down the server normally. Go into Activity Monitor and shut down the lingering Emby instance thats still running. Restart Emby. Maybe 40% of the time at this stage Emby will not start back up so I need to restart my Mac to make this happen.

ChrisJ60

I've investigated this in some detail and at least in my experience this problem is caused because sometimes the Emby 'helper' process (Electron) does not quit when the server is stopped and if it remains running then Emby will not start. You can just kill that process manually or if you prefer you can just use a script that I wrote to stop and start the server from the command line; the script takes care of this problem and when using this script I have not yet had any issues with Emby failing to stop or start as expected. The script (called 'emby') is attached to this post.

Chris

hstamas

I've investigated this in some detail and at least in my experience this problem is caused because sometimes the Emby 'helper' process (Electron) does not quit when the server is stopped and if it remains running then Emby will not start. You can just kill that process manually or if you prefer you can just use a script that I wrote to stop and start the server from the command line; the script takes care of this problem and when using this script I have not yet had any issues with Emby failing to stop or start as expected. The script (called 'emby') is attached to this post.

Chris

Thanks for pointing this out and offering a workaround! Just note that I am aware of the helper app not quitting but find that even if I shut that down via Activity Monitor so there is nothing Emby still running, very often Emby will just not start back up unless I restart my Mac. This as been going on quite some time.

• 5 months later...
thebnich

This is still an issue for me as of 4.2.1.0.

I created a simple launcher app as a workaround: https://github.com/thebnich/EmbyLauncher.

This can be launched from Spotlight/Launchpad, and ensures that Emby Server starts (and terminates) properly. It works by launching Emby via shell script (thanks to this comment), and monitors the embytray process to terminate the EmbyServer process accordingly.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...