AppleTV 4K - how is it as a dedicated Emby client?

ShoutingMan

vdatanet
10 hours ago, RedeyeMike said:

Given this, what's the value of switching to Emby from Plex?

This is the short list of reasons why I use Emby instead of Plex, even though I am an Apple TV user.

1. User management and library sharing
  2. Responsive web server
  3. Metadata management
  4. Plugins and Customization, important for the Infuse sync plugin
  5. Live TV
  6. Support

I acknowledge that the Emby app for Apple TV is a long way from the Plex app, but I make up for its shortcomings with Infuse.

• Like 1

vdatanet
11 hours ago, RedeyeMike said:

There's a premium version of Emby just like PlexPass, so its not free

As far as I know you don't need Emby Premiere for use Infuse with Emby @ebr Can you confirm this? , but Emby Premiere is good for Emby development 😀 and you can use other features like Live TV, I record Live TV using Emby and I play recorded items with Infuse.

Edited by vdatanet

• 4 weeks later...

My Apple TV is being delivered on Thursday and reading this thread I wish I had done more research before buying.

Can I still get the Emby look whilst using Infuse as the player?

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, Emby71 said:

My Apple TV is being delivered on Thursday and reading this thread I wish I had done more research before buying.

Infuse is a good player but it has nothing to do with the experience of using Emby.

Emby for Apple TV has improved dramatically in the last year. The latest beta version even supports HDR. It does not reach the level of Emby for Android TV, but it is acceptable, although there are several details to polish and some tvOS bugs that need to be fixed.

sfatula
2 hours ago, Emby71 said:

Pretty much yes, I have mine looking the same. Almost the same, except, for live tv. Infuse is still way superior to Emby in playback even with latest Beta though, depending on your content. For live TV, we use Emby but can only do so for non interlaced channels, else we move to a different room where we have a TV with tuner. Due to many different things we use the Apple TV for, playback of which video being one small part of it, I would never trade it for any other device. But that's us, others mostly use their device only for playback. 

Edited by sfatula

• 7 months later...
ShoutingMan

Going on four years later, and I've found the AppleTV Emby player to be the least of the options I've got. The Emby app for Shield is the best, IME. The Emby app in my LG TV is also much better than the AppleTV.

Last I tried, the AppleTV emby app couldn't play music right -- songs restart halfway through playback. And of course, Atmos isn't available. 

I'm an Apple user for my home computing, and use the AppleTV for all regular streaming services. But as an Emby player, it's pretty mediocre for me.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just curious if there have been any improvements on the Apple TV 4K front?  I currently have an Nvidia Shield, but there is some wonkiness between it, my soundbar, and my Shield that I'm hoping an Apple TV will remedy.  We're also almost entirely in the Apple ecosystem, so it would make more sense to have an Apple TV than a Shield, but it works very well with Emby—aside from some sound issues unrelated to Emby.

That said, can someone either direct me to a resource that lists outstanding issues with the Apple TV 4K, or share their recent experience?

vdatanet
4 hours ago, Jägs said:

Just curious if there have been any improvements on the Apple TV 4K front?  I currently have an Nvidia Shield, but there is some wonkiness between it, my soundbar, and my Shield that I'm hoping an Apple TV will remedy.  We're also almost entirely in the Apple ecosystem, so it would make more sense to have an Apple TV than a Shield, but it works very well with Emby—aside from some sound issues unrelated to Emby.

That said, can someone either direct me to a resource that lists outstanding issues with the Apple TV 4K, or share their recent experience?

There have only been minor changes, neither the MPV player has been improved nor has HLS fMP4 support been added to be able to play MKV HEVC HDR content.

I am also a user of the Apple ecosystem, but for Emby I use Nvidia Shield and Apple TV for the rest.

• Like 1

horstepipe
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

I am also a user of the Apple ecosystem, but for Emby I use Nvidia Shield and Apple TV for the rest.

yep same here. I think we need to accept that android tv is the lead platform for Emby and that there are not enough resources for making a good Apple TV experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

coolkidsdoit

Are we really accepting this as ok, and without any reply from Emby mods/admin?

Why is iOS being updated, Carplay and Apple Watch support, when the flagship AppleTV is left with no updates for 5 months, whilst Carplay! gets updates.

What is going on here?  As a lifetime subscriber, I feel like I've wasted my money and should have gone Plex.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, coolkidsdoit said:

Are we really accepting this as ok, and without any reply from Emby mods/admin?

Why is iOS being updated, Carplay and Apple Watch support, when the flagship AppleTV is left with no updates for 5 months, whilst Carplay! gets updates.

What is going on here?  As a lifetime subscriber, I feel like I've wasted my money and should have gone Plex.

Hi, we are continuously working on improving the apple tv app and will have a new update out soon. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

coolkidsdoit
53 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, we are continuously working on improving the apple tv app and will have a new update out soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Luke, based on what version/feature set - and how soon is soon?  Days, weeks or months, or next year?

Is the delay a common issue with Apple's review cycle, or the AppleTV development, or other?

Edited by coolkidsdoit

34 minutes ago, coolkidsdoit said:

Thanks Luke, based on what version/feature set - and how soon is soon?  Days, weeks or months, or next year?

Is the delay a common issue with Apple's review cycle, or the AppleTV development, or other?

We currently have an update in Apple review. I would suggest following the testing are of the community:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/161-apple-tv/

That will give you an idea of what changes are available to the beta testers for testing. We'll have an announcement on the blog as soon as it is released. Thanks.

• Like 1

LightMoon
On 25/07/2019 at 14:42, vdatanet said:

Apple TV 4K supports Atmos from tvOS 12, but limited to itunes movies and some streaming services (Netflix..). it's not allowed passthrough for local content (Plex, Emby, Infuse...) so audio must be decoded to LPCM and this doesn't support spatial audio metadata. I don't know if one day Apple decides to change its mind and allow passthrough for local content of Atmos audio and other codecs. 

Is this statement still correct? Given the tvOS 15 is out now

vdatanet
2 hours ago, LightMoon said:

Is this statement still correct? Given the tvOS 15 is out now

As far as I know, no changes, ATMOS is only supported in the DD+ flavor (streaming services), TrueHD is still not supported.

Hi i've just notice the app for stable version in app store is now 1.5.4 (11) it was 1.5.3 but but there is still no hdr passthrough hmm so does that mean even the beta app has no passthrough hdr ( to be honest hdr to sdr via mpv is very bad when it comes to high nit content its the same with mpv on pc with theater so passthrough is only way to go)

If beta has passthrough why hav'nt you updated the stable release?????

vdatanet
1 minute ago, kalg said:

Hi i've just notice the app for stable version in app store is now 1.5.4 (11) it was 1.5.3 but but there is still no hdr passthrough hmm so does that mean even the beta app has no passthrough hdr ( to be honest hdr to sdr via mpv is very bad when it comes to high nit content its the same with mpv on pc with theater so passthrough is only way to go)

If beta has passthrough why hav'nt you updated the stable release?????

Unfortunately the only way to get HDR passthrough (in beta and stable) is using native player playing mp4 files. No HDR passthrough for MKVs (neither native nor MPV). If Emby will support HLS fMP4, we could have HDR passthrough for MKVs using the native player (Direct Streaming). 😀

• Like 1

many thanks for the reply my take is if dev's wont update then maybe best thing for devs is pull the plug on apple tv app  why make a app when they cant do the stuff like plex and infuse and mrmc then pulling plug is only way 

sfatula
1 hour ago, kalg said:

many thanks for the reply my take is if dev's wont update then maybe best thing for devs is pull the plug on apple tv app  why make a app when they cant do the stuff like plex and infuse and mrmc then pulling plug is only way 

That would make no sense, a number of people use the app. It's far from ideal, but it's still useful for many.

• Like 1

coolkidsdoit01

Interesting, I hadn't used Infuse before and tried it briefly today

With Infuse, the new AppleTV remote controls the media as it should (scrubbing, RW/FF, etc) without the marker running away ahead, or flying back to the start, or not working at all.

It doesn't show my shared media folders up front on the default home screen the same way Emby does (you need to go inside the share first NAS\TV Shows for example), hopefully I can fix that easily.

• 2 weeks later...
Hitsville

While we are on the whole Emby/Plex/Infuse on tvOS subject my sweet spot would actually be an “open in infuse” option within Emby. 

There’s lots to like about Infuse. 

1. Video scrubbing (tone mapped) on the fly. 
2. Spatial Audio already working. 
3. Actually there is no 3

But…

Navigation of TV shows in Infuse is probably the worst thing I have ever experienced in all my years of viewing media. (Movie navigation is tolerable.)
I would just love to see you guys get your heads together. 

sfatula

I don't get what is missing from Infuse, for me the way I set up Infuse (without Plex), TV show (and Movie) navigation is 99% identical to Emby. Curious how it's worse for you, what feature are you using in Emby that Infuse doesn't do? There's only 1 feature that affects me, and that is specials in order within a season.

I like the idea of open in Infuse though.

Edited by sfatula

Hitsville

@sfatula
Mostly the issues with Infuse directly are…

1. My storage is totally in gdrive and server is remote and Infuse (last time I checked and still seemingly an issue) is Infuse natively leads to API bans on occasion. An Rclone mount solves this. 

2. I seldom watch my media while out and about but it does happen occasionally so having an Emby or Plex server running makes sense for such occasions. 

Regarding the navigation, Infuse shows very few active shows on deck. James commented on this the other day. If we have more than 10 active shows we are apparently doing it wrong. 
Also I watch a lot of documentaries and stuff that don’t necessarily need watching in order. Clicking on any item that’s on deck in Plex… (only just trying out Emby again after a while away so I’m not sure if its the same here)…gives a one click option to go back to the season or show level from ANYWHERE in the UI. Infuse forces you to actually browse to the show. You can see all episodes for the season that the on deck episode belongs to on the preplay screen but sadly not other seasons. Small things and fringe cases maybe but things to matter to me personally. 

As mentioned my priorities are Spatial Audio which Infuse in any setup works with. 
Trakt, which I have always found more reliable in Emby and Infuse than Plex.

If (for my needs) Infuse TV navigation improves or Plex, Emby or Jellyfin offer fully working spatial audio on the ATV, that’s where I will end up.
But just having tonemapped video thumbs on the fly in Infuse will probably mean I will always use infuse for movies at least. 

The whole idea of the “open in Infuse” just gives the best of both worlds. 

Edited by Hitsville
Clarification