AppleTV 4K - how is it as a dedicated Emby client?

ShoutingMan

sfatula

I think it will be an integration similar to Plex, only video library playback. No music, no photos, no live tv.

Yeah, that's what I thought so still some minor hassle, though, I could do everything else from iPad and perhaps not need Emby app. I don't use Emby for photos and music. Live TV guide is on iPad also. We almost never do live tv anyway, if we did, I suppose I could use Emby app.

If it works, it is going to be really nice! Looking forward to it.

Edited by sfatula

Dibbes

If it works, it is going to be really nice! Looking forward to it.

Only about 4 months to go, if they keep following their current release cycle ;-)

Though I really like the Shield when it comes to functionality, I miss the remote of the Apple TV...

• Like 1

sky894218

请问有和我一样 appletv版 登陆不上去的吗 可以找到nas 就是登陆密码错误 不需要密码用户也登陆不上去

嗨,您是否设置了自己的Emby服务器,或者您正在连接到其他人的Emby服务器?

vdatanet

根据您的语言,Apple TV主机名可能包含非ASCII字符。 更改主机名,然后重试。

Depending on your language, the Apple TV host name is likely to contain non-ASCII characters. Change the host name to one without non-ASCII characters and try again.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Only about 4 months to go, if they keep following their current release cycle ;-)

Though I really like the Shield when it comes to functionality, I miss the remote of the Apple TV...

I also like Nvidia Shield functionality. But I miss:

- Siri remote

- Apple content (iTunes and Apple TV+)

- iCloud photo library

- Apple Music (It can be replaced by any music streaming service)

My last hopes are in the Infuse-Emby integration, even it's not a perfect solution:

- I prefer Emby for Apple TV UI

- Infuse caches metadata on device, this can be a problem with large libraries, Although this process is getting faster and better.

- No Music, No Photos, No Live TV

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 2

Dibbes

- Siri remote

- iCloud photo library

My last hopes are in the Infuse-Emby integration, even it's not a perfect solution:

- Infuse caches metadata on device, this can be a problem with large libraries, Although this process is getting faster and better.

I don't use anything else but a few apps that are not Apple specific. Emby, Synology Photos, Clan TV, NOS TV and that's about it. With the exception of the Clan TV app, these are better on the Shield... 

I don't like to be locked into any environment, be it Apple, MS, Google or anything... I'd love the AppleTV remote and would love that with the Shield's functionality... best of both worlds, but I doubt that is to be...

Edited by Dibbes

sfatula

You guys sure don't use your *TV devices for many things then! I guess you must watch a lot of TV? We use them for so many other things, including gaming, solar management, security, etc. 

I am actually not a big fan of the Siri remote. I use my own programmed remote.

I guess I can get back to testing now, got back home. Need anything@@vdatanet?

Edited by sfatula

vdatanet

You guys sure don't use your *TV devices for many things then! I guess you must watch a lot of TV? We use them for so many other things, including gaming, solar management, security, etc. 

I guess I can get back to testing now, got back home. Need anything@@vdatanet?

Nothing new. They just Fixed a bug that prevented the Start Now button from working in the Next Up dialog in the Apple Player.  :rolleyes:

sfatula

Nothing new. They just Fixed a bug that prevented the Start Now button from working in the Next Up dialog in the Apple Player.  :rolleyes:

Ok thanks. I'll at least update it.

Dibbes

For gaming I have a fairly decent desktop with a 32" screen, a Xbox one, a Xbox 360, Playstations 2, 3, 4 and an Atari 2600 (connected through a VCR).

For security I have a separate server and do not use Emby at all for this... This server does not have a route to or from the internet, nor do any of the sensors and the Synology I have on that vLan. I also run separate servers for ebooks, audiobooks, comics and music. I have about a 100k tracks imported in Emby, but my full library is running on a dedicated AirSonic server...

I have a Logitech as well, but I have never been able to get used to it. To me it feels clunky. I really like the trackpad of the Siri remote. I do not use voice at all, nor any assistant like Siri, Alexa, Google or Cortana or anything

sfatula

Cool, I use over 50 apps on the ATV that we use, those were examples! Don't need more servers, have one. Don't want more clients. I run a ton of things on the one high end server I have and it's still not even breaking a sweat. But it is Linux. Homekit on the ATV too.

Some old school there. Atari! That's nice, I like it. I still run some old (emulated) apple 2 games (really old) and still enjoy them. I use Steam to take games throughout the house. When I said my own programmed remote, I mean on an iPad not an actual physical remote. I.e., I coded a remote to be used on the iPad, software remote. It controls my entire array of home theater equipment and room.

• Like 1

Everbrave

- Siri remote

- iCloud photo library

In fact, Emby on Nvidia Sield, is almost the only app I use because of the audio Passthrough! Sad the Apple TV app isn’t to this level yet (even without Passthrough).

EDIT: forgot to say, on Nvidia Shield, Kodi with Embuary or Titan Bingie skin, Netflix-like UI, and EmbyCon or Emby for Kodi, makes an excellent Emby client too!

Edited by Everbrave
  • Like 1

ShoutingMan

Good news, Emby support for Infuse is currently in progress for the upcoming 6.4 release. 

Will this include Infuse's recently announced support for Dolby Atmos? That could be a game changer for me. I have an NVIDIA Shield solely for Emby Theater, and use aTV for other Netflix, Prime, etc. If I could consolidate all my home theater viewing into the AppleTV, that would be pretty great.

Though...I understand Infuse doesn't support special features, but I could use the Emby Theater app for secondary uses I guess. Not perfect, but intriguing.

Edited by ShoutingMan
  • Like 1

sfatula

Keep in mind the Atmos support is for movies or content already recorded via EAC3 with Atmos, your file has to already be in that format. It is not for playing Truehd Atmos. There is very little EAC3 Atmos content on Bluray for example, almost all of it comes from streaming. Just want to make sure you realize TrueHD Atmos is not going to come out as Atmos. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

адулыфтвк046
A bunch of decent applications for popular services.

The ability to stream any video that Safari can play on a Mac or a standard video player on an iOS device.

VLC application exceeded expectations and streamed directly from a network drive via UPnP and other protocols.

A large catalog of 4K (sometimes with HDR, sometimes without) new iTunes store movies. Money, especially for renting for 48 hours, is reasonable. All previously purchased films in the library will be “upgraded” to 4K if the film was re-released in this resolution.

Everything works stably, is easily updated, except for the selection of a fast enough HDMI cable for 4K, absolutely nothing came as a surprise.

A decent remote with which everything you need is done quickly.

Edited by адулыфтвк046

• 1 month later...
vdatanet

Apple TV + Emby + Infuse, a killer combination. Infuse 6.4 beta with Emby support is available now. Time to sell my Shields.

5e9491c912435_Capturadepantalla20200413a

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

sfatula

Apple TV + Emby + Infuse, a killer combination. Infuse 6.4 beta with Emby support is available now. Time to sell my Shields.

Yeah, have to get my Beta loaded too and see how good it is, and hopefully find at least one bug. 

psykix

Main problem with Infuse is that there is no user switching - at least there wasn't with Plex integration when I tried it.

Everbrave

Looks like “game over” for the Emby client on TvOS, Plex client tvOS with its mpv based advanced player can also direct play playback 4K, HDR, HEVC mkv flies while matching the frame rate!

Edited by Everbrave

sfatula

Given your previous trouble (before FTP) playing 4k via Infuse, how does it work using Emby backend?

vdatanet

Given your previous trouble (before FTP) playing 4k via Infuse, how does it work using Emby backend?

I have no buffering at all. I get the same speed as with FTP. I can choose whether I want to cache the images or not. If I don't cache the images, syncing is very fast and the metadata on Apple TV takes up very little space. There is still work to do:

- "Next up" row

- Collections

- Playlist

We are in a first beta and these features will come later.

horstepipe

Hey @@vdatanet

Would you please recap the playback capabilities of Emby (beta with mpv) and Infuse on TVOS?
I'm getting a little confused lol

Which formats/container work on which software? Which one can do frame rate matching and properly switch between HDR/SDR?

Best regards

vdatanet

Hey @@vdatanet

Would you please recap the playback capabilities of Emby (beta with mpv) and Infuse on TVOS?

I'm getting a little confused lol

Which formats/container work on which software? Which one can do frame rate matching and properly switch between HDR/SDR?

Best regards

Infuse direct plays everything with dynamic range and frame rate matching. It even does HDR to SDR tone mapping. HDR content played on an SDR screen is amazing.

Emby MPV doesn't support dynamic range and frame rate matching.

On the other hand, I like the Emby UI for Apple TV more than Infuse, but after all, what really matters is the player.