Shield - how is it as an Emby client?

ShoutingMan

Jdiesel

I wonder if the HDR issue is fixed with 7.2? But that does look like it could be a big upgrade for shield.

The colourspace switching should eliminate a lot of the issues around tonemapping granted your display supports both rec.709 and rec.2020 colorspaces. Since the display will automatically switch between the two depending on the source video and avoid any need for conversion you shouldn't run into washed out or too dark images.  

Guest asrequested

The colourspace switching should eliminate a lot of the issues around tonemapping granted your display supports both rec.709 and rec.2020 colorspaces. Since the display will automatically switch between the two depending on the source video and avoid any need for conversion you shouldn't run into washed out or too dark images.

Here's hoping. If all of that gets sorted, the shield will be formidable.

mastrmind11

What bug is that? I only use CEC for power on/off and haven't noticed any changes.

apparently 7.1 broke volume control and introduced a bug on but not off or off but not on for receivers when shield turns on or off, for a few people.  I just noticed my receiver wasn't turning on when the shield turned on which lead me to google around.  didn't have time to see whether it's a change required in my pre-amp cec settings (used to use my tv remote to turn everything on via cec, which worked fine, but switched to a google mini) or an actual regression.  anyway ymmv.

Edited by mastrmind11

apparently 7.1 broke volume control and introduced a bug on but not off or off but not on for receivers when shield turns on or off, for a few people.  I just noticed my receiver wasn't turning on when the shield turned on which lead me to google around.  didn't have time to see whether it's a change required in my pre-amp cec settings (used to use my tv remote to turn everything on via cec, which worked fine, but switched to a google mini) or an actual regression.  anyway ymmv.

i can confirm this bug happens to me all the time.. but i don't know if it's a new bug or not, since i only got my shield last month and have always used 7.1

ShoutingMan

@@ShoutingMan You're using the unofficial ET app on the Shield, or do you mean the official Android TV (ATV) app?

Please clarify.

I don’t know? It’s Emby. It’s the app in the Shield App Store. Edited by ShoutingMan

CBers

I don’t know? It’s Emby. It’s the app in the Shield App Store.

Sounds like the ATV app then.

Can you confirm the version installed?

• Like 1

ShoutingMan

Sounds like the ATV app then.

Can you confirm the version installed?

Emby for Android TV

Version: 1.6.56g Registered

It’s the only “Emby” app in the App Store when I search.

Edited by ShoutingMan

CBers

Emby for Android TV

Version: 1.6.56g Registered

It’s the only “Emby” app in the App Store when I search.

OK, that's the Stable release version of the Android TV (ATV) app.

• Like 1

Coxeroni

By the way, there is no holiday theme on my Shield emby app, although it is enabled in the settings. In kodi (embuary) on the same machine it works. Is this known? Should I provide logs or anything? :)

CBers

By the way, there is no holiday theme on my Shield emby app, although it is enabled in the settings. In kodi (embuary) on the same machine it works. Is this known? Should I provide logs or anything? :)

There should be, it's called "Holidays" and is the last one in the list of themes.

I enabled it yesterday, so I know its there.

Which version of the app are you using?

• Like 1

Coxeroni

Ok than I just don't know where to turn on/change the themes. Where is that? I am using the beta release I guess (not in front of the shield atm).

Coxeroni

Shame on me, I have overlooked that this a premiere feature, and I am (not yet) a premiere user. Since it is working in kodi and the standard web client, I obviously thought this would work on all clients. Nevermind then...

• 4 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

My Shield won't play the video for some video files. At least one of them was interlaced video. They're the Extras from the Blu-ray, so might be encoded for 30Hz, which my display doesn't do. So perhaps the Shield is trying to set the video rate and the display is going black. They play back fine streaming to my iPad, so its not the MPEG 2 transcoding problem.

I'm new to the Shield. This doesn't look like an Emby issue specifically, but any tips on what to check for the possible cause is appreciated. Thanks. :)