#1101 EODCrafter OFFLINE  

EODCrafter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • LocationSouthEastern USA

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

Thanks dude, can you tell me please whats file works on my Android device mibox4

IDK, I don't have that device just try both till one works.....Sry

#1102 nbat58 OFFLINE  

nbat58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

If the pause issue only happens in Android App and not from any other App, it's a good indication. I'm just trying to help you narrow it down. Your right, you mentioned Shield in your Post and since this is Android Server Thread we have to assume it's a Android Server Issue. Specifically BETA Server......

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to try playing from another App and see how that goes.

• EODCrafter likes this

#1103 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • LocationRocky Mountains

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

I set up Emby Server (4.0.1) for the first time today on my NVIDIA Shield TV. It appears to me to work pretty well. Thank you for all of your work on it!

One pretty significant issue I'm having though is that I can't get it to write anything to my NAS. It reads just fine. When I was setting up my first library, I tried a variety of path expressions to get it to find my media: \\smbshare\path didn't work. Nor did smb://share/path. Nor did nfs://share/path. Finally, I found a feature in the NVIDIA settings that allows you to attach an SMB share by providing the share, username, and password. I verified that it remained in place after a reboot. Once I'd done that, I could browse to the library location from the Emby/dashboard/library UI wizard thing. The location that Emby recognized, for my movies library as an example, was /storage/D2015/mediafull/movies where D2015 is the server, mediafull is the SMB share, and movies is the path under that share where my movies are.

Even though it can read files there just fine, and even though the username and password I provided on the Shield to keep that share mounted has both read and write access to the share, it seems Emby Server cannot write to it. Like many other Emby users, I have learned over the years that it is a best practice to keep metadata with my media files whenever possible. And because I also use Kodi as a player on my home network, I have Emby write metadata to NFO files. Whenever Emby Server on the Shield tries to write to one of those NFO files, I get something similar to this:

2019-01-30 11:53:35.637 Error ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.0.1.0
	Command line: /mnt/expand/0875db30-4433-4393-a0dc-5471a62265cc/app/com.emby.embyserver-R84V3vaXGe0-a2aTFmHpcg==/base.apk
	Operating system: Unix 4.9.109.2
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: False
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.emby.embyserver/files
	Application directory: /mnt/expand/0875db30-4433-4393-a0dc-5471a62265cc/user/0/com.emby.embyserver
	Mono: 5.14.0 (explicit/969357ac02b)
	Android Version: 8.0.0-REL - SDK: 26 'O'
	Patch Level: 3664093_1378.1894 (2018-11-05)
	Fingerprint: NVIDIA/foster_e/foster:8.0.0/OPR6.170623.010/3664093_1378.1894:user/release-keys
	Model: SHIELD Android TV - NVIDIA/NVIDIA
	Hardware: foster/foster_e/foster_e/unknown
	SupportedAbis: arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/storage/D2015/mediafull/tv/Banshee/tvshow.nfo" is denied.
	  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x001b7] in <fe08c003e91342eb83df1ca48302ddbb>:0 
	  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <fe08c003e91342eb83df1ca48302ddbb>:0 
	  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions)
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream (System.String path, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenMode mode, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileAccessMode access, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileShareMode share, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenOptions fileOpenOptions) [0x00045] in <8c99ead7fd9c44cab05a9d44c2163ecc>:0 
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream (System.String path, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenMode mode, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileAccessMode access, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileShareMode share, System.Boolean isAsync) [0x0003b] in <8c99ead7fd9c44cab05a9d44c2163ecc>:0 
	  at NfoMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.SaveToFile (System.IO.Stream stream, System.String path) [0x0002b] in <d2cea98514f5404392e37d4d0d9e05ab>:0 
	  at NfoMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.Save (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem item, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00026] in <d2cea98514f5404392e37d4d0d9e05ab>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveMetadata (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem item, MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.ItemUpdateType updateType, MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.IMetadataSaver[] savers, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00100] in <831dc56a08a74b9290f1ebbd0a901a63>:0 
	Source: mscorlib
	TargetSite: Void .ctor(String, FileMode, FileAccess, FileShare, Int32, Boolean, FileOptions)
	  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x001b7] in <fe08c003e91342eb83df1ca48302ddbb>:0 
	  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <fe08c003e91342eb83df1ca48302ddbb>:0 
	  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions)
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream (System.String path, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenMode mode, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileAccessMode access, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileShareMode share, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenOptions fileOpenOptions) [0x00045] in <8c99ead7fd9c44cab05a9d44c2163ecc>:0 
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream (System.String path, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenMode mode, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileAccessMode access, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileShareMode share, System.Boolean isAsync) [0x0003b] in <8c99ead7fd9c44cab05a9d44c2163ecc>:0 
	  at NfoMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.SaveToFile (System.IO.Stream stream, System.String path) [0x0002b] in <d2cea98514f5404392e37d4d0d9e05ab>:0 
	  at NfoMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.Save (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem item, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00026] in <d2cea98514f5404392e37d4d0d9e05ab>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveMetadata (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem item, MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.ItemUpdateType updateType, MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.IMetadataSaver[] savers, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00100] in <831dc56a08a74b9290f1ebbd0a901a63>:0 

Interestingly, in this other thread another user reported the same exception, but in regards to the backup plugin not being able to save a backup to his NAS. If you've also read that thread, I apologize that this thread is a little cross-posty. In the other one I was replying to him so he knows that I've seen it too, but in this one I'm providing a bit more detail.

I recently read a thread on the NVIDIA community forums about Android server apps not being able to write to attached SMB storage. In that thread, a moderator claimed that Android server apps must be "whitelisted" before they can write to an SMB attached storage location and said that Plex, for example, had been whitelisted. Later in that thread, after some more months had past, a moderator said that there is no longer a whitelist, but an application must support a specific API in order to write to network attached storage on the Shield.

Can anyone confirm that they've gotten Emby Server running on an NVIDIA Shield TV to write to their NAS? Or can you only read from the NAS? And if so, do you have the Shield save metadata on the internal storage (like somewhere in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.emby.embyserver/files)? I only have 16 GB internal storage, and half of that is already used by other apps, but I do have a (slower) 64 GB SD card on the shield I could possibly configure to hold metadata. I'd rather keep it with the media on the NAS though. Any pointers? I hope the Emby devs (we love you Luke) can figure this one out. Thanks.

Edit: Here is another mention of a "write" API for writing to attached SMB share from an app on NVIDIA Shield TV, as well as another confirmation that Plex can do it: https://www.reddit.c...e_to_smb_share/

Attached Files

• Attached File  Log.txt   30.64MB   0 downloads

Edited by harrv, 30 January 2019 - 09:51 PM.

#1104 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Luke, if you are the primary developer of the Emby Server for Android, will you please send a DM to "sniper" over at forums.geforce.com? He is saying in this post that when Emby Server runs on an NVIDIA Shield, there is a private NVIDIA API that you need to use in order write or delete files on a NAS, and he wants the developer who would likely do the work to contact him directly. Or if you'd prefer, you could DM me your email address and I'll pass that on to sniper in a DM there--he seemed to indicate that would be OK too.

Obviously, pursuing this would be a big help for us users who want to keep images, subtitiles, other metadata, and backups on our NAS, as well as being able to delete a movie or episode that is stored on our NAS. But it also seems like a way to increase exposure for Emby, since right now the NVIDIA app that runs on the Shield and seems to be for writing to attached storage mentions Plex in its description but not Emby. So, pursuing this seems like it would be a win all around, both for users and for Emby exposure.

Edited by harrv, 31 January 2019 - 09:47 PM.

• jasonmcroy, hoppel118 and KarlDag like this

#1105 unhooked OFFLINE  

unhooked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 AM

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for kicking this up a notch. I knew there was some undocumented feature causing this, didn't ever get around to asking about the existence of an unpublished api. 

• harrv likes this

#1106 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for kicking this up a notch. I knew there was some undocumented feature causing this, didn't ever get around to asking about the existence of an unpublished api. 

It should be noted that although sniper first replied to my question on that forum by calling it a private API, that wording caused a bit of a stir from other users in their forum, and he has since edited his response to simply call it "our API". He's also said tonight that an app's package must be whitelisted to use the API, although he hasn't actually used the term "whitelist" and seems to be trying pretty hard not to. He describes it as a security measure to prevent rogue apps from wiping out all of the data in your SMB share. In any case, Emby/Luke really should strike while the iron is hot. It seems NVIDIA has motivation to have more than just one app (Plex) that utilizes their API to write to an SMB store, and I think they'll give all the help required.

Out of curiosity, I asked sniper whether Kodi is using the NVIDIA API too, since I know Kodi can read and write to both SMB and NFS locations. I had already guessed that they aren't using NVIDIA's method, since I had only seen Plex mentioned as using their API, and also because in Kodi you can read and write to network storage locations without first mounting them to /storage, and because the NVIDIA feature which allows you to mount network shares to /storage only supports SMB, not NFS. I surmised that Kodi had probably implemented their own SMB and NFS stacks in their app code, so didn't need to use the NVIDIA feature or API. Sniper confirmed all of that. Sniper also pointed out that if you do mount your NAS that Kodi can access it directly through the mounted /storage path too (although I suspect if you did that, it would be read-only).

And finally, I asked if there is any plan to add NFS support to their network storage mounting feature. He said that it's not on the roadmap for the coming year. They're working on adding fuller support for SMB 3 and improving product stability. Maybe down the road.

#1107 unhooked OFFLINE  

unhooked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:12 AM

Out of curiosity, I asked sniper whether Kodi is using the NVIDIA API too, since I know Kodi can read and write to both SMB and NFS locations. I had already guessed that they aren't using NVIDIA's method, since I had only seen Plex mentioned as using their API, and also because in Kodi you can read and write to network storage locations without first mounting them to /storage, and because the NVIDIA feature which allows you to mount network shares to /storage only supports SMB, not NFS. I surmised that Kodi had probably implemented their own SMB and NFS stacks in their app code, so didn't need to use the NVIDIA feature or API. Sniper confirmed all of that. Sniper also pointed out that if you do mount your NAS that Kodi can access it directly through the mounted /storage path too (although I suspect if you did that, it would be read-only).

Yeah kodi uses libnfs and smbclient to access remote content as a URI as opposed to a mounted filesystem. I was under the impression that plex supplied the fuse/smb package the shield uses, but that might not be the case even though it explains only plex using it and their reluctance to publish the api. Also, it's kinda buggy as if the resource is in write mode other apps can pop in there and make modifications. Emby creates nfo files on my nas, but only when plex is recording.

#1108 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:24 AM

I was under the impression that plex supplied the fuse/smb package the shield uses, but that might not be the case even though it explains only plex using it and their reluctance to publish the api. Also, it's kinda buggy as if the resource is in write mode other apps can pop in there and make modifications. Emby creates nfo files on my nas, but only when plex is recording.

Oh, that makes sense and explains a lot. When I first bought my Shield, it came with Plex pre-installed and for a while you couldn't uninstall it if you wanted to. Sounds like they had a partnership agreement to ship with Plex in exchange for the fuse/smb package you mentioned.

Regarding bugs, yeah, I've heard other people describe what you described quite succinctly about other apps sneaking in file writes if Plex was writing. That's an interesting one. Another bug I ran into early on was that mounted SMB shares wouldn't persist when rebooting the app... or sometimes even if not rebooting, just the passing of time seemed to mess with that persistence. Over the last couple of days with me testing mounted network storage with Emby Server 4.0.1, it seems that particular aspect is more stable now.

#1109 unhooked OFFLINE  

unhooked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:37 AM

SMB would get wedged a lot in the past, you'd have to pop into settings and it would kick-start. It's been much better since they updated smb with 7.2.2. I was in that beta and I can't remember the last time it got stuck, but previously it would do that constantly, and any time plex pushed code you were guaranteed to have to reset it. 

#1110 davy4475 OFFLINE  

davy4475

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

Is the new Nvidia shield server the same as the server for Android

#1111 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

Yes.

#1112 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

Important: If you already installed yesterday's 4.0.2 release, please download and install again on top of your existing version, as there was an android-specific issue preventing transcoding from working. Thanks.

#1113 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:28 AM

I've updated the build in the first post with the latest beta release. Thanks everyone.

#1114 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:20 AM

I've updated the build in the first post with the latest beta release. Thanks everyone.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to switching my Emby server from Windows 10 to NVIDIA Shield, but I really can't until Emby can write nfo and srt files to my NAS via either SMB/CIFS or NFS. That wasn't working the last time I tried because of the issue discussed 5-11 posts ago, but you (or other Emby devs) were planning to contact NVIDIA (someone named Sniper) about getting on their whitelist and using their recommended API.

When there is a beta that includes that capability for NVIDIA Shield, would you mind calling it out explicitly?

Thank you very much.

• Luminous likes this

#1115 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

What you should do is mount the share to a local path using the tools in the OS, then add the local path to Emby. 

#1116 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:09 PM

What you should do is mount the share to a local path using the tools in the OS, then add the local path to Emby. 

That's what I was doing before, but Emby wasn't able to write to that location, only read. Is writing working now?

• EODCrafter and Luminous like this

#1117 EODCrafter OFFLINE  

EODCrafter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • LocationSouthEastern USA

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

That's what I was doing before, but Emby wasn't able to write to that location, only read. Is writing working now?

I can't get it to. Let me know if you do.

#1118 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

Try it with the Shield 7.3 software.

• EODCrafter likes this

#1119 harrv OFFLINE  

harrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:22 AM

Try it with the Shield 7.3 software.

Oh, OK. Cool. My Shield says it's up-to-date and on NVIDIA software version 7.2.2, so I'll look forward to the 7.3 release!

#1120 Luminous OFFLINE  

Luminous

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:43 AM

Very nice I'm running this on my Nvidia Shield TV Box the release version.

The only 2 things I wish I had was a MCEBuddy plugin for skipping commercials. Is there another plugin that would allow this? The second thing, is there a way to enable secure remote connections (https) with a Android app for SSL Certificate? Sorry I'm new here, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users