"Unable to seek" in tvheadend recordings

acn128

Hallo,

I'm using Emby 3.2.50.0 together with tvheadend 4.2.3 on a Debian Linux server. I've subscribed to Emby Premiere to test it before buying the lifetime pass :)

I managed to connect these two via the Emby Plugin "TVHclient" 1.1.1.0.

For watching my media, I'm using the Android TV app (from the Play Store) on a Minix U9-H Android Box.

My problem is:

When watching TV recordings (via "Live TV" => "recordings") the recordings start, but when I want to seek forward or backwards, I only get the message "Unable to seek".

The recordings are stored as H.264 + AAC files on the tvheadend server (profile "webtv-h264-aac-matroska").

As the better integration of tvheadend is my main reason for switching from Plex to Emby:

How can I configure Emby and/or tvheadend to make the recordings seekable?

By the way:

When using the normal Android App for Emby on a Moto Z Play phone, the recording does not even start.

I notice that the server starts transcoding (at least the CPU usage rises a lot), but the screen does not show anything.

But as the Android TV app is more important, let's focus on this first.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards

Anna

Hi,

1) 1.5.11g Registered

2) it pauses the video. After another press of "pause", it continues at this position - so "pause" seems to work as desired.

Thank you!

Does the progress bar show a proper length and position?

It sounds like the player does not have a length for the video coming from the plug-in.

Yep, exactly.

The player only shows the elapsed time - no information on the length of the recording is shown.

Interestingly, when I watch the same recording via the web interface, the length information is "dropping in", i.e. the duration increases over time.

I added the storage directory to Emby as a library folder (next to Movies and TV shows) - there the recordings work as intended, via Web interface and via Android TV app. (But there is no tvheadend server in between, I know :))

Try adding your recordings folder as an emby library instead of going through the plugin. It's a much simpler way of doing it. Thanks.

Hallo Luke,

I tried that and it works. But it is only a workaround in my eyes and does not solve the problem.

Besides, using this workaround I still have to navigate to "Recordings" for correctly deleting a recording.

I would appreciate a hint on how to configure it correctly. Thanks.

I realize you consider it a workaround, but truthfully, if we were going to do this all over again then this is how we would handle recordings with the tv plugins.

I'm sure the deletion situation is something that could be improved.

And why does the "recordings" section in the "Live TV" section exist when using a TV plugin? (Besides it does not really work correctly)

So to sum this up (at least that is what I learned here): The problem I encountered is a kind of bug that has the label "wontfix" at the moment, right?

So at the moment, I have to live with the workaround (that e.g. does not show me the station I recorded the video on and does not show any EPG description etc.). That implies for me that Emby Premiere has not really a great value for me at the moment.

Or did I misunderstand something?

And why does the "recordings" section in the "Live TV" section exist when using a TV plugin? (Besides it does not really work correctly)

We wish we had never done this in the first place, because everything is a thousand times simpler when using a regular emby library. We are considering possible changes for the future of not having this section.

It would be a good idea to think about how to fetch the metadata from the TV plugin.

Then I could live without the "recordings" section without any problem. (Btw: Is it possible to disable this section?)

But just another question concerning the original problem:

When using e.g. the Android App "TVHclient" (+ MX Player) or the tvheadend web client (+ VLC), I am able to seek inside these movie files without any hassle.

Also when using Kodi with tvheadend plug-in on a Raspberry Pi, it works without any problems.

Why is it so difficult to accomplish this in Emby?

The recordings are available (in my case) as MPEG2 or H.264+AAC files which should be playable without transcoding in Emby. (And even tvheadend offers this functionality by itself!)

It could be an idea to ask the other projects on how they have solved this problem.

Thanks!

When you add the recordings folder as an emby library, everything just works because you get to use the features we've already built.

The problem with this separate recordings section is that it's not a regular emby library, therefore in order to accommodate all of these features that you expect, we have to build them all over again. That is why we'd rather just not have it anymore because it is causing a major duplication of effort. It's not because we need help figuring out how to do it. Thanks.