Issue setting up Music Videos

Will Dee
Go to solution Solved by Will Dee,

Will Dee

I'm trying to get the system set up with the Music Videos that I have, and for the most part it's working well.

However I'm running in to issues with some of the videos where it groups them, by the same artist, as if they are the same song, even though the filenames are very different.

I can't find a way to tell Emby to split the files, or how to tell it what song it is in general..

Here's an example of what I've got going on with 1 artist

Folder Structure:

\Music Videos\Weird Al Yankovic

Files:

Weird Al Yankovic - FOIL (Parody of Royals by Lorde).mp4

Weird Al Yankovic - Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me.mp4

Weird Al Yankovic.jpg

Weird Al Yankovic - FOIL (Parody of Royals by Lorde)-poster.jpg

Weird Al Yankovic - FOIL (Parody of Royals by Lorde).nfo

Emby shows the 2 files under FOIL and allows me to select a version, but I can't get them to separate so I can show them as different songs all together.

What am I missing here?

I just installed Emby, so it's the latest version.

Thanks

Will Dee

So, I'm going through the library now, putting every single video in to it's own dedicated folder, and that seems to be doing the trick.. but it also means I'm in for a lot of creating folders and such and sorting. Is there any better way?

CharleyVarrick

I pretty much already went through what you're describing.

At first, my music videos were all thrown together in a master folder. As the collection grew, I created artists sub-folders.

I rather shortly reverted back to a single main folder, because Emby would show those artists sub-folder as ugly generic colored tiles without any metadata.

As for your issue, I'm surprised those mp4 shows up the same, as their titles are pretty different. For some artist - song, I have up to 4 or 5 versions without issue, as long as something's different in the filename, I get the same difference in Emby title.

One issue I faced that was kind of similar to yours was having a part 1/part 2, as Emby considers those as multiparts of a same entry.

In early days, I also "grouped" some music videos once, my bad, it was a pain to fix:

See if this helps: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48212-12-different-music-videos-are-now-grouped-as-1-cant-undo/

5a3661d9d28ea_Capture.png

Edited by jlr19

• Solution
Will Dee

Well, it's taken some work for sure. And I'll have to do a little more than I'd like to do for every new file, but at least I finally got the songs sorted and working decently... here's what I ended up with

5a381bf250c9a_Ashampoo_Snap_MondayDecemb

That's the main page obviously, and then when you go in to say, Colbie, you get this

5a381c2f01965_Ashampoo_Snap_MondayDecemb

Like I said, not as easy as I was hoping it would be, but hopefully now adding new ones won't take too long.. hardest part is finding all the album art for the songs

Thanks

So, I'm going through the library now, putting every single video in to it's own dedicated folder, and that seems to be doing the trick.. but it also means I'm in for a lot of creating folders and such and sorting. Is there any better way?

@@Will Dee what would you have preferred? thanks for the feedback.

• 4 months later...
mahuti

Music videos are set up the same as Movies. If you have 

foldername1

-- foldername1 - some file name.mkv

-- foldername1 - some other file name.mkv

emby sees them as 2 versions of the same movie. If the foldername is the exact same as the artist prefix in the file name, it sees the videos as versions rather than individual movies. 

So this works to show them as different videos: 

foldername1

-- some file name.mkv

-- some other file name.mkv

and this works: 

foldername1

-- some file name - foldername1.mkv

-- some other file name - foldername1.mkv

and this works:

foldername1

-- a-foldername1 - some file name.mkv

-- a-foldername1 - some other file name.mkv

So if you use an artist prefix it has to be slightly different than the folder name otherwise it sees the files as alternate versions to be chosen from.