Question about my network shares

JasonS
Go to solution Solved by JasonS,

How do I stop the emby server from transcoding files that don't need to be transcoded?

I have Win7 installed on a intel nuc6cayh. I'm using emby for wmc.

I'm trying to play a x265 mkv file and it plays fine in media player. When I try to play it in emby for wmc I noticed its very pixelated and after some looking around I noticed it being transcoded instead of direct playing.

On the dashboard when I'm playing this file it says "direct play" but when I look in the logs there is a transcode log and also ffmpeg is using cpu on the server computer.

Also Im using shark007 standard codec pack. At first I just installed the latest lav and I could not play the mkv files in media player. So I uninstalled lav then installed the codec pack. With the shark pack when I play the files in media player its using lav. Now the files play fine in media player. But in emby they transcode. And with emby its not using lav, no icons in tray.

Edited by JasonS

Looking like I'm having the same issue with x264.

But, this might not make sense but I can get it to stop transcoding but only until a restart if I play a file with media player first.

If I do a fresh restart and play a x264/x265 file in emby it will transcode. If I stop it and then open a file with media player and play it then stop it and go back to emby x264/x265 no longer gets transcoded.

Edited by JasonS

I uninstalled the shark007 codec pack, then I installed only lav again. mkv is working fine now in media player. but I having the same issue as before

emby will transcode my x264/x265 mkv unless I play a file first in media player after that emby no longer transcodes.

Well I uninstalled emby for wmc and then reinstalled it. Now I cant get it to stop transcoding even using the trick with playing in media player first then emby.

• Solution

Well I figured out the problem. It was a credentials problem with my new nuc and the server.

The reason it would work when I played a file in media player first was because I would log in to the server with credentials every time in windows explorer to play one of my files. later I copied a file to the local machine and that's when playing the file stopped working. The problem had nothing to do with playing the file in media player first. For some reson every reboot I have to enter user name and password to the network share and it would not save the credentials. But I found the place to manually add credentials in windows 7 for network shares now after a reboot no more transcoding with emby.

• Like 1

If EMC is ever transcoding something it will always boil down to some sort of access to your media problem.