Live TV Slow Channel Change Discovery

TheMafia

TheMafia

Hi Everyone

I have the latest server beta release (3.2.50.0), and the latest Emby Theater for windows release. I'm also using the NextPVR plugin in Emby server, and for the TV backend. (Latest version)

Connecting directly to NextPVR with VLC and streaming a channel takes about 1-3 seconds to view / change channels.

Emby - 30 to 60 seconds.

This is what i have noticed - Once the channel finally loads, you can go to the gear icon in the bar at the bottom, and change to something like "720p 2mbit". Once changed to this, channel changing in emby only takes about 7 seconds or so to load a new channel. 

1080p 4mbit seems to be about the same (7-10 seconds). Auto, or higher bitrates cause the change to take forever. (60 seconds or more)

Watching the NextPVR "show status" box, the stream doesn't start until about 3-4 seconds before emby has it on the screen.

For example, if I select a channel (in auto, highest stream possible), "Show status" in Next PVR will show nothing for almost 60 seconds, and then show the stream, then a few seconds later, emby starts playing it in Emby theater. 

I have also noticed that it takes minutes to drop the stream when you stop that particular channel in "show status" in Next PVR. (This is with the stream set to Auto or a high bitrate within Emby Theater)

I hope this helps in diagnosing this frustrating problem. 

Edited by TheMafia

@@TheMafia, try changing your next pvr plugin setup to use the network address rather than localhost. this should allow emby theater to play directly to the next pvr url instead of routing the stream through emby server. let us know if this helps. thanks.

Well that won't affect the web app but using that technique emby theater for Windows and emby for Android mobile should both direct play.

TheMafia

Hi Luke

Changing the IP to a direct ip not a local (127) allows direct play with a 5 second channel change. Much better now. Thank you! 

Quality is brilliant on the HD channels. 

• 10 months later...
Rick1971

I have actually did this and it is still just as slow changing channels and before, I don't use NextPVR with Emby though

but I have the latest Firestick that just came out on Halloween

and my server is an AMD 8350 with 16 gig of RAM

changining channels takes about 10-15 seconds each time

oh BTW I use two HDHOME RUN so I have 6 tuners

Edited by Rick1971