Sort Playlists

Magic-SG1

Magic-SG1

Hi guys, would it be possible to enable sorting for playlists? At the minute when I add something to my 4K playlist it just appears wherever it wants in the list, not alphabetically or by last added etc. Would be nice to have. Cheers guys.

• Like 4

Hi there, can  you please give an example? What Emby app are you testing with? The contents of playlists will appear in the order that you added them. thanks !

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
psybertech

Old topic, but I see the need for this...

Example...

Add all modern-ish Marvel super hero movies (Iron Man, Thor, AntMan, Guardians, Avengers, etc) and have the playlist sort based on release date ASC.
Nice way to watch the stuff leading up to each of the Avengers' movies play out by release of the supporting movies quickly.
Not a chronological order, just by release date. You can re-order as needed after the initial sort.

Anyway...

+1 for this.

J

Old topic, but I see the need for this...

Example...

Add all modern-ish Marvel super hero movies (Iron Man, Thor, AntMan, Guardians, Avengers, etc) and have the playlist sort based on release date ASC.

Nice way to watch the stuff leading up to each of the Avengers' movies play out by release of the supporting movies quickly.

Not a chronological order, just by release date. You can re-order as needed after the initial sort.

Anyway...

+1 for this.

J

Seems better suited to a Collection...

psybertech

You can't sort collections at all.

Plus, I have over 300 collections. I only want a few playlists for things I watch often and want the ability to organize.

anyway........

Pelon

The other problem with this approach, specially with the Marvel example is that you can't nest collections. So you either have an Iron Man Collection or an MCU collection.

The other problem with this approach, specially with the Marvel example is that you can't nest collections. So you either have an Iron Man Collection or an MCU collection.

You can with the next release of the server (or maybe that actually went out with the last one...).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This topic is about sorting playlists. 

Sorting and filtering on playlists is planned for the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
lawprior

Any word on this being added yet? Seems like the last word on sorting playlists was back in August. All I want to be able to do is sort my playlists by date. Seems kinda basic?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
jackandjohn

Suggestion to make this happen short-term:

Allow a playlist to be populated by a database query, restrict queries to admins only, then simply expose the query field to users.

Without code that interprets or sanity-checks the query, there's less for the devs to do, and full power for those users that know how to use it (or are willing to learn)

It probably seems scary from the perspective of Emby Staff, but we're all grownups here.

Put a disclaimer before "allowing us" to enable it if you like.

crusher11

Am I the only one able to drag things around and put playlists in whatever damn order I please?

Am I the only one able to drag things around and put playlists in whatever damn order I please?

Well I think the request is about quicker sorting options based on metadata or other criteria.

jackandjohn

Apologies for sort of adding extra to the feature request: I had thought I was replying in a different (more appropriate) tab and can't find that now.

• 2 years later...
Romek123

wow - this kills my hope. i just recommended nearly same thing and my post got closed with links to other postings with nearly same idea. and the other posts was closed too and are linked to this one here. a post from 2017. so i guess this will never happen than, right?

Edited by Romek123
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
bberger

Do I really need to install a 3rd party plugin to get a playlist sorted by release date? 

Trying to catch up with the Arrowverse (fallen almost 2 years behind now).

It's a massive pain having to resort to having a browser tab with the chronological order open on another device to navigate through the running order of 5+ shows that can contain massive spoilers within the universe if you get it wrong 😕

Edited by bberger

• 3 months later...