Emby Server on Drobo (5N)

Dewey80

Hi,

I can see that emby is now supported on quite a few NAS devices... I'm wondering if there is a beta in the pipeline for a Drobo 5N as I would like to experiment moving my server over to this device? If not, does anyone have any pointers on whether or not I can get it on there still via the standard ARM Linux version??

Thanks,

Dewey

Drobo devices are on the expensive side right? It's something we'd like to do but from what we can see it seems to have a smaller audience than other nas devices so that's why we pushed it down the list.

mastrmind11

I'd leave the NAS as just that.  Unless you're direct playing literally everything, it's going to choke.  Also I'm not entirely sure how you'd get Emby on there... can you ssh into the OS?  If I had the same NAS and planned to direct play all my media, I'd add a rPi to my network and put Emby on that (already supported, and proven to work).  My 2c.

@@Luke yeah, I think they aren't that common. I got given it, so was going to put it to use :)  I saw Plex is on there, so thought maybe a beta was in the works...

Thanks @@mastrmind11, I'll explore the option of using a rPi for the server and leaving the NAS for pure content storage.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for Drobo 5N. It's not powerful enough for transcoding but vast majority of the devices can direct play any content these days over local network. I have Plex installed on my 5N and the Plex app on my LG TV works well for 1080p but not 4K content as it tries to transcode (unnecessarily). Would love to try the Emby app but would hate to build another 24x7 device (even if rPi) when my 5N has quite a bit of spare power (3 cores on avg stays <5% when acting as pure NAS).

Edited by rexian

Yea, we'd love to get to Drobo, we've just prioritized it a little lower than the other NAS devices for the reasons I've mentioned above. Thanks.

Yea, we'd love to get to Drobo, we've just prioritized it a little lower than the other NAS devices for the reasons I've mentioned above. Thanks.

Understood - just discovered the Emby app on LG store so signed up here to vote for a 5N version :) Thanks Luke!

• 1 year later...
Biofects1

I would love to see a Drobo app released. Im testing Emby and looking at all the features, and with Drobo app I have to use a Raspberry to be the server mounted to Drobo(B800FS) then connect clients to that. 

Edited by tfam404

Hi, yes, now that we've done many other NAS devices, perhaps now we can revisit Drobo. Thanks !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
smrked

Thanks for posting the beta for DROBO installation, Luke. How would I go about setting up the files and connecting? Apologies as I have been running my Emby server on a Windows 10 machine that died. I'm using a DROBO Pro.

smrked

I'm attempting to install but unsure of the steps. I have copied the compressed files, unpacked them directly on the DROBO and run the install.sh from command prompt. However all that does is open up the "Open Any File" program and displays.

#!/bin/sh . /etc/service.subr /bin/sh "${DROBOAPPS_DIR}/emby-server/service.sh" start

Apologies for my confusion.

smrked

I renamed and I still only get the "Open Any File" popup. I am using WIndows 10 to install on DROBO. I think I am completely missing something. It's probably something silly too,

smrked

I am running an old DROBO pro when they only had 2 versions. It was released in 2009. There was no DROBO apps back then and my version of the dashboard doesn't support that. I'm betting I just have too old of a DROBO to get this going at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
Dewey80

Hey @@Luke, thanks for the bump on this one... however, unfortunately I gave away the Drobo so I can't test it for you to see how the Beta performs. Sorry :(

• 3 months later...
SofiaBunny

I have a Drobo5N and I have been trying to load the beta.  Once I click start on the application it acts like it's doing something but fails to start.  It returns to the Start/Stop Configuration screen with the app showing as not started.  Is there something I am missing or need to manually setup?

• 3 weeks later...
FiercePierce

I own two Drobo units, an Original 4 bay with a Droboshare and a Drobo-FS.  I recently bought an ASUSTOR 3204t v2, but am seriously considering getting two of the Drobo 5N2 units.  One of the reasons I would switch back to the Drobo platform, would be if it supported the EMBY server.  Has anymore development been done and or tested on the Drobo 5N2 units?  If you, Luke, or anyone else has tested it and got it working without issue, I would love to hear about it.  I'd really like to know soon as they have a deal going on right now.  Thanks to anyone who has any updated info.

I own two Drobo units, an Original 4 bay with a Droboshare and a Drobo-FS.  I recently bought an ASUSTOR 3204t v2, but am seriously considering getting two of the Drobo 5N2 units.  One of the reasons I would switch back to the Drobo platform, would be if it supported the EMBY server.  Has anymore development been done and or tested on the Drobo 5N2 units?  If you, Luke, or anyone else has tested it and got it working without issue, I would love to hear about it.  I'd really like to know soon as they have a deal going on right now.  Thanks to anyone who has any updated info.

We haven't put a whole lot of effort into it because the audience seems to be small. If you want to try this test package that would be helpful:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkw645gzz9o19f8/emby-server-drobo_4.1.0.13_arm.tgz?dl=0

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
FiercePierce
8 hours ago, Luke said:

@FiercePierce were you able to try it?

No sir.  Had issues getting the Drobo to install any of the DroboApps, and Data Robotics was ZERO help because this is an old model.  Heaven forbid that actually support any of their older products.  Like customers can afford to be swapping out their NAS units every time a new model is released.  So, if someone had all the apps that would let me install the EMBY app on it, I could try it, but I wasn't able to find anyone who did.  Sorry.  Really wanted to make use of this unit besides the file storage.  What a waste of money.

• 5 months later...