Nvidia Shield TV - ASS/SSA Subtitles not displayed

barat

Hi,

Yesterday i bought Nvidia Shield TV to replace my Pi2. I installed Emby for Android TV App. Problem is, that this app is not displaying ASS/SSA subtitles at all.

Previously I had problems with other devices, but this was fixed (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48932-assssa-subtitles-not-playing-nice-with-androidioskodi/).

Android Mobile App is playing nice - only Shield TV is not sowing them.

Was searching for some kind of option for "smart subtitles" like in phone app, but there is none.

Can you make something with this?

I switched shield to debug mod and sent logs at ~11.38 GMT+1 time (Poland - user Bartek / barat). Also - i attach server logs.

ffmpeg-remux-936e26f4-2ee4-4256-bb19-ea32ac131b88.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-16d7b2f1-1357-4a5b-b7e1-802ff67baec3.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a216fe9e-f55b-4236-96d3-372ddc4685a6.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-e4c36b0e-1ccb-4f9f-b259-45160ce38e8b.txt

server-63648274462.txt

Edited by barat

Are they all external subs or both internal and external?  I see one example where the app is not seeing your external sub stream at all for some reason.

For this movie ASS/SSA subs are external. There might be some internal as well (during debug session I was trying to select them - ENG and Unknown). Weird thing also is, that for Android Phone app (s7 edge Nougat) it's working fine ...

EDIT:

Checked newest beta - still no subtitles (which are present on Android mobile app, emby theater (web and windows), and Emby for KODI)

EDIT2:

@@ebr - any ideas why ass/ssa are not working? Do you want a file I'm testing, or should I make specific test case which will allow you to track root cause?

Edited by barat

• 2 weeks later...

@@ebr

I made a test today with two files (episodes). One (145) had internal subs, and second (146) external. Tried this with debug enabled. Log sent at 22:07 CET+1 Warsaw time.

Server: 3.2.50.0

Servername: HomeNAS

Username: Bartek

Again - I first checked it on Emby for Android Mobile on my S7 Edge and there it plays nice (I have subs)

@@ebr

I made a test today with two files (episodes). One (145) had internal subs, and second (146) external. Tried this with debug enabled. Log sent at 22:07 CET+1 Warsaw time.

Server: 3.2.50.0

Servername: HomeNAS

Username: Bartek

Again - I first checked it on Emby for Android Mobile on my S7 Edge and there it plays nice (I have subs)

Hi.  What is the "145" and "146" in this...?

Two movie episodes numbers (I was thinking that it's visible in logs). So "Movie Name EP145.mkv" and "Movie name EP146.mkv" (don't remember exact strings but EP146 and EP145 are in them as well as Dragon Ball).

If you want, I can place those two episodes on my Amazon Cloud Drive and share link on PM (but that will be possible in 2-3h from now).

Edited by barat

Can I please see the ffmpeg logs for those items?  The app thinks the server is burning in the subs with ffmpeg.

12-18 22:06:01.445  7623  7623 I System.out: Play called with pos: 0 and sub index: 5
12-18 22:06:01.456  7623  7623 I System.out: *** Subs are being burned in

• 2 weeks later...

server: 3.2.60

Nvidia shield

Pixel xl

I also noticed a lot of my internal and external subtitles (*.txt) are not rendering on nvidia shield, but yet they are rendering on my pixel xl and web browser.

subtitleIssues.txt

Edited by teiva

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Issue with ASS subtitles is still there (external ones). It was some time since my last post, but now I again had time to check it with newest Synology server + newest apps (S7 Edge Android and Android TV on Shield).

For Emby app for S7 Edge subs are played fine (even animations work), but for Shield there is nothing.

Logs attached. I ssh into server and deleted all logs from /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs + server restart. Then I just played few seconds on each device so logs should be only about shis issue.

I can also upload problematic file somewhere for you to test @@ebr if it'll help.

NvidiaShield-ffmpeg-transcode-c814ff6c-e8fb-4c3c-9b2e-e9bba83d3d0a.txt

S7Edge-ffmpeg-transcode-dc9d74fb-4939-4a78-9f71-31f71adbbedc.txt

server-63655368574.txt

The Shield is asking the server to burn in the subs and it looks like that is failing:

[Parsed_subtitles_2 @ 0xe4a5a0] Using font provider fontconfig
Impossible to convert between the formats supported by the filter 'Parsed_hwupload_1' and the filter 'auto_scaler_0'
Error reinitializing filters!
Failed to inject frame into filter network: Function not implemented
Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:0
Conversion failed!

@@Luke - my version is 1.5.54g so I have newest Beta (27.02.2018).

I also switched VA API off for tests - still no subtitles.

Do you want a link to the file I'm trying to play? I can upload it to my private Amazon Cloud Drive (it's ~270MB)

Still - weird thing is that Android mobile is working OK (I even "chromecasted" this episode to shield and subs was there), and Shield not :/