Voice levels are always too low

TheMafia

TheMafia

Hi Everyone. I am running Emby theater on a Intel NUC running windows 10, and the installer (not the app from the store)

Unfortunately I have a significant hearing impairment. Subtitles are a little frustrating because they take the focus off the screen.

All voices, mostly male voices (I have lost my low frequency hearing range) I struggle to hear.

My partner has perfect hearing and she says the levels are definitely quite low. 

I was wondering if the was a way to somehow specifically boost the voice channel? I have tried increasing the channel on my yamaha receiver, but when increasing the volume through the center it seems to push everything through the center more.

It's working correctly in 5.1, just low voice volume. 

My friend also runs emby and had this same problem with his windows Emby non store installation. he has recently purchased the new LG TV with WebOS 3.5 and install the emby app whihc he said runs like a dream. It works beautifully. He has a sound bar and he says the voice channel is much louder and clearer.

One of the other issues is when you turn up the entire volume to hear them speaking, if there is a sudden scene with very loud explosions or something, it just about blows you out of the chair and the windows out of the house because it is so loud, and you have to turn it back down. This causes me to have to keep turning the volume up and down.

Any suggestions would be absolutely great. Thanks.

Hi @@TheMafia,

I have a similar problem. If you go into ET Settings / Audio  and set a percentage in the "Dynamic Range Compression" it will level out the highs and lows in the audio, This makes it easier to hear speech. Essentially, it puts less oomph into the louder sounds and more into the quieter sounds which has the effect of making speech clearer. At least it did for me.

I think the best way is to use headphones though. I've been using then for quite a while now and it definitely helps. Only problem is, if you plug them directly into your TV, that generally cuts off the TV sound for others...

5a2929cabf210_ETAudio.jpg

post-196-0-21105200-1512647240_thumb.jpg

Edited by jordy

Guest asrequested

If there are others in the room listening to the output through the receiver, and you want to plug headphones into the TV, I think there may be a way to achieve that with the desktop app. I'm not entirely sure. I'll have test it.

I'm actually getting a new set of headphones for Xmas - Sennheiser RS195. They are not cheap, but are Wireless RF (so no cables and no audio delay) and have settings that can boost sounds in different frequencies, especially designed for people with hearing difficulties. As they have a separate base with inputs for 3.5mm Stereo jack or Optical SPDIF straight from the receiver, they are able to output their own audio stream thus not affecting others in the room. Can't wait to try them :)

The only way I overcome this problem is to go into the Windows Playback Devices on my server and click the Enhancements tab.

Then check the Loudness Equalization then click OK.

This makes everything much louder so I need to lower the volume levels in on the server and in Emby Theater, but at least I don't get the very loud sound effects (explosions etc.) when watching movies or TV.

TheMafia

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

I don't really want to use headphones. I prefer my 5.1 home theater. 

The advanced tab in windows is gone for me unfortunately. I am using windows 10. 

I have tried the dynamic range compression and the voice is still fairly low. Even with the compression turned all the way up. 

It's just strange that my friends LG TV has very loud and clear voice with the LG emby app. I really need to find a good solution. I know my hearing isn't great but my partner says she struggles to hear what they are saying too so it can't but just my hearing.

Any other ideas?

Brendon

The only way I overcome this problem is to go into the Windows Playback Devices on my server and click the Enhancements tab.

Then check the Loudness Equalization then click OK.

This makes everything much louder so I need to lower the volume levels in on the server and in Emby Theater, but at least I don't get the very loud sound effects (explosions etc.) when watching movies or TV.

I do the exact same thing on my main pc but it only happens with tv shows that are web-rip or web-dl for some reason they are a much lower volume and i can't get my pc with 2.1 sound loud enough without using the equalization and on the HTPC with 7.2 sound i have to punch the amp to half the output volume on them, every other format is fine.