Alexa not finding any players

fusrodah26

fusrodah26

I am using English US and I believe I have the release version of the app.

I'm trying to get Alexa to run Emby on my Samsung Smart TV which has the Emby app open and running on it, but she keeps telling me there's no players available. 

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I haven't used the Alexa app much yet.

Thanks.

Edited by fusrodah26

Angelblue05

Ok, to test. Open the webclient. Click the play to icon (on the right side). Is the app listed there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fusrodah26

I do not have the app for the TV showing in the web client. Only "my device" and "chromecast" which is connected to a tv in another room.

• Like 1

The Samsung smart TV app doesn't yet support remote control. Please try the next release of the app. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
pir8radio

So, to be clear Alexa needs to use emby connect, it can not work with my stand alone server install?

So, to be clear Alexa needs to use emby connect, it can not work with my stand alone server install?

Correct.  The way Alexa works is:

Echo -> Amazon servers on web -> your server

And the only way we can tell Amazon how to get to your server right now is via Connect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
drodner

Is the Echo or Echo Show an available player? I can't seem to get my Echo Show to play a song on itself. It will play it to Firefox, but not out of it's own speaker.

Thanks!

Angelblue05

Is the Echo or Echo Show an available player? I can't seem to get my Echo Show to play a song on itself. It will play it to Firefox, but not out of it's own speaker.

Thanks!

I'll add this to the wiki.

mastrmind11

I have 2 shields and a MiBox.  When I click the Play On button in the browser, it doesn't list any of them, while the Android app does.  Since Alexa is tied to Connect/the web, does this mean I won't be able to wake the devices using Alexa since they're not showing available in the Emby web app?

@@Angelblue05

Edited by mastrmind11

Angelblue05

Playback on Alexa devices is not supported at this time. It will come eventually. Right now it is not a priority, as much as getting the google home skill completed. Once that is done, things will be revisited. It's in the wiki. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to help to the best of my ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mastrmind11

So I am able to determine that the skill is working because I can ask Alexa who the current user is, which is me.  So I have 3 questions:

1) the one posted above (most importantly)

2) if I have multiple users in my house, do they all have to have connect enabled or are users/servers/devices/libraries determined by what Connect can ascertain from the admin connect account(s)?

3)  Is Alexa smart enough to determine if devices w/ the same name are tied to a particular skill?  ie, I have Sonos speakers everywhere, and for eg I have one named "Living Room" but also have a Shield in the living room that I've named "Living Room".  Is the modifier in the command enough for Alexa to know which device I'm referring to, (ie, because I said "tell Emby", Alexa knows to look at Connect devices) or do I have to rename everything to "Living Room {whatever device type}"?

Thanks

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

2- No, you could use the same emby user to linked Emby to Alexa on every device. Then switch Emby user within the Emby skill when needed by voice (change user).

3- Everything with voice activation depends on the context. By that I mean, what has been said to Alexa so far, will determine where she looks/what she does. So if you are locked into the Emby skill, because you already said tell Emby, then everything you say will be directed at Emby only, until you exit the skill (by saying thank you or quit) or when the session end (lights turn off). Does this help? :)

While testing, I notice a little quirk when selecting the user via change user. Normally I say change user to {username} and she gives me a list. I will look into that right now.

Edited by Angelblue05

mastrmind11

2- No, you could use the same emby user to linked Emby to Alexa on every device. Then switch Emby user within the Emby skill when needed by voice (change user).

3- Everything with voice activation depends on the context. By that I mean, what has been said to Alexa so far, will determine where she looks/what she does. So if you are locked into the Emby skill, because you already said tell Emby, then everything you say will be directed at Emby only, until you exit the skill (by saying thank you or quit) or when the session end (lights turn off). Does this help? :)

While testing, I notice a little quirk when selecting the user via change user. Normally I say change user to {username} and she gives me a list. I will look into that right now.

Ok cool, but #1?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

1- Yes, Alexa uses the remote control api provided by the server to find devices. If they are not listed in the webclient, Alexa will not see them either.

mastrmind11

1- Yes, Alexa uses the remote control api provided by the server to find devices. If they are not listed in the webclient, Alexa will not see them either.

So, to clarify, I need to turn on my atv device(s) prior to using Alexa w my device(s)?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Can you wake/turn on your atv devices via the Emby server?

Emby with Alexa is to control what happens within Emby apps (while they are running). I don't believe the server provides a turn on option, therefore the skill is not able to do that either. I hope this answers your question :)

If you tell me yes, that the server turns on your atv devices, please explain how/which settings in the server and I'll add the server functionality to the Alexa skill.

Otherwise, what other people use is the harmony skill which works with turning on your hardware, but you have to have a harmony remote so it can trigger such functions for you. Then once everything is running, they use the Emby skill to do the rest.

Edited by Angelblue05

mastrmind11

Can you wake/turn on your atv devices via the Emby server?

I think I recall having done it in the past, which is why I'm trying to determine why Alexa gets stumped when I try. Standard shield setup.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

@@Luke

Is there such a function available in the server api to wake up devices.

If I select to play on something from my Android phone, my shield fires up, cec kicks in and everything is good. If I try from the browser, no devices are shown and thus can't do it. So is Alexa tied to what the browser sees or what the Android app sees? Guessing the former based on the behavior, which is fine, just want to know for sure before smashing my face on the wall.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

You say on your Android phone, can you be more precise? What app are you referring to? It should display the same devices regardless of the Emby app you are using, unless I'm missing something here.

mastrmind11

You say on your Android phone, can you be more precise? What app are you referring to? It should display the same devices regardless of the Emby app you are using, unless I'm missing something here.

If I open the emby app on my phone, I see all my atv devices. If I open emby for chrome anywhere I see no devices (besides "this device"). If I select a movie and send it to one of my atv devices from the Android emby app it plays on the device. Cant test chrome for reasons mentioned previously.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@Luke

What are your thoughts on this? How can that be? I am stumped.

Is there such a function available in the server api to wake up devices. Why is he not seeing the same available devices from app to app?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

If you tell Alexa while using the Emby skill "change the player" does she list anything or say there's no available players?

Edited by Angelblue05

mastrmind11

If you tell Alexa while using the Emby skill "change the player" does she list anything or say there's no available players?

No player. But she knows who I am. Fwiw I'm behind a reverse proxy but have external access and Connect works fine. However none of my devices show up in chrome externally or internally, if it helps.

Listen, not trying to be a pita, I'm probably not ever going to use the skill. If whatever the issue is is just me, no worries, I'm not trying to turn this into a problem. I know you guys have more important stuff to do.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I have my phone and other devices and the apps available to me are the same across the board. If we can fix it for you, or at least understand why this is happening to you, then I think you'd be happy as well. Because if Alexa can see your devices like your Android can, then you can do the same thing and send playback that will incidentally wake up the device at the same time.

I don't believe it's related to chrome, but something is definitely not adding up. I appreciate your bringing up this issue though, no pita I promise :)

Let's wait on Luke's input so we have an idea where the issue might lie.

Edited by Angelblue05