Live TV Transcoding Crushing CPU

econ

It seems as though the handling of transcoding within emby has changed somewhat recently.  In my case I am having an issue transcoding Live TV via chrome but see the issue on other devices as well.  In the past I was able to utilize all 3 tuners I have available all at once.  Now I can only watch one at a time.  As soon as I start the 2nd tuner stream I see the CPU max out and both streams start to skip.  Looking at the running processes on the server you see the ffmpeg processes taking about the same about of processing power as they have in the past.  However, now you see embyserver.exe taking up way more processing power that in past builds. What is the reasoning for this additional usage in CPU and can it be better utilized?  On my server nothing has changed hardware wise and it is solely dedicated for emby.  I don't have a monster of a server as others do but am running a decent machine hardware wise -- i5 with 32gb RAM.  This should be able to handle 2+ transcoding streams at a time.

One Steam at a time Processes:

post-2254-0-01598900-1512270363_thumb.jpg

Two Streams at a time:

post-2254-0-70460900-1512270357_thumb.jpg

Log.txt

ffmpeg2.txt

ffmpeg1.txt

As far as the server process goes, try removing all plugins and seeing if that has an effect. thanks.

Here's what i see for comparison with two simultaneous transcoded live tv streams. 

5a236eb5e1ac5_Untitled.png

FYI - it says dotnet because i'm running in debug mode.

Yes, that is around what I remember the processing power being around in the past.  As soon as I stop the live tv streams embyserver.exe drops to 0% along with the ffmpeg processes being killed as they should.  It is almost as if the streams are being double transcoded.  

Is the setting "Enable throttling" in "server dashboard- transcoding" enabled? Also are you running a third party FFMPEG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any additional ideas as to why embyserver.exe would be consuming so much cpu? I am running now with no plugins and still see the issue consistently.

post-2254-0-62836700-1512954100_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to doing a clean install of windows and emby in an effort to resolve this issue.  I ran a backup/restore of my old server using the plugin and still see the issue.  Then I ran the portable install of emby with ONLY live TV configured and still see emby consuming a ton of CPU.  What could be causing emby to utilize so much CPU?  This was not an issue previously.

No, when transcoding video files within a library, ffmpeg processes at a high percentage (as it should) and embyserver.exe is at a low percentage (less than 5%, as it should).  This issue is only with live tv.

The tuner is a HDHomeRun using a cable card using their latest firmware if it matters. HDHR3-CC  Firmware: 20170930

In continuing to troubleshoot this issue I have found that it happens in all apps.  It even happens when I am direct playing live tv via emby theater.  Let me know if additional logs as needed as I would like to solve this issue. 

arrbee99

I realize its probably a dumb idea seeing as you have a Homerun, but would it be worth trying out a TV plug-in like NextPVR or something ?

Yes, I thought about that. I’ve used serverwmc in the past but was hoping for a fix since I have a paid subscription to schedules direct. I’ll give it a try but am losing hope on a fix.

So I setup NextPVR and I don't see the issue with high CPU usage.  The issue is isolated to Emby's built in support for the HDHomeRun.  @@Luke would it help if I provided logs of NextPVR vs the built in EmbyTV?

post-2254-0-36176700-1515361540_thumb.jpg

@@Luke is there any rhyme or reason why nextpvr doesn’t increase the CPU usage but the built in EmbyTV does? I know you have been unable to reproduce but I can on multiple machines and am willing to provide additional logs and testing in an effort to resolve.

• 1 year later...

Have there been any updates on this?  I have a similar setup. My CPU isn't quite as bad but a single stream is causing about 30%CPU utilization off my HDHR tuner.  As soon as I stop the stream I get back to around 5% with a single IPTV stream going.