Request: To Watch List

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

One thing the streaming community hasn't done well is really create tools that allow us to simulate live TV well.

I think the biggest reason that binging on Netflix (and Emby) is so popular is because you push a button and go.

I'd like to see Emby create a "To Watch List" that basically allows you to sort shows into a specific order. When you watch that list, it will only play the most recent episode of each show in the list that premier inside that week.

Lets pretend I made a DC TV Watch list, it would only play this weeks episode of Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl and Gotham one after another. If an episode didn't premier that week, it gets skipped.

Additionally, I'd like to see this system *ALSO* allow us to insert bumpers similar to Cartoon Network or Toonami. In the here and now, it would only insert bumpers between the series, but it would be nice if in the future, a system that allows some method for choosing the appropriate points between each act of an episode where bumpers could also be inserted.

Bumpers would be a community thing to create, but inside the "to watch list", you'd choose what bumpers (if any) are used. Bumpers could even be surrounded by previews. 

Finally, another thought: while Emby already can pull Movie Trailers, it might be another cool future project if we could pull previews of related series not in the "To Watch List" and/or perhaps ones that aren't on your server that are similar to what you are watching. 

There's a lot of ideas in this post to digest and several should be their own project as part of this concept.

Thoughts

• Like 34
  • Agree 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I think it's a great idea and we are actively monitoring it for community feedback. Thanks !

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Definitely would like to see the watch list  ! Seems like someone could almost copy and paste the favorites code and just make a few changes. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that but I would imagine that some of the programming to be reused

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
gallaamstart

Also heavily interested in that!

Like a "bucket list" to watch and not having to write huge posts with all the movie and series names in my calendar/tasks :D

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Couldn't one create a "To Watch ListPlaylist or Collection to achieve this list of items?

TravelersTheatr
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Couldn't one create a "To Watch ListPlaylist or Collection to achieve this list of items?

I’ve tried this but my playlists sometimes randomly disappear. And also it’s nice to have that easy little button to toggle 

gallaamstart

Thats what i just started doing.

Still, whats not optimal about it:
-everybody can see collections, not personal
-fully watched content doesnt get removed from that automatically

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, TravelersTheatr said:

I’ve tried this but my playlists sometimes randomly disappear. And also it’s nice to have that easy little button to toggle 

What do you mean button to toggle?  Are you referring to Remove from Collection/Playlist as it is a menu option.

8 minutes ago, gallaamstart said:

Thats what i just started doing.

Still, whats not optimal about it:
-everybody can see collections, not personal
-fully watched content doesnt get removed from that automatically

Yes, Collections and Playlists are global item.  Playlists will eventually get revamped to be public/private.

What thinking about this as would everyone want removal upon played state.  But this would have to be in the design of a feature like this "To Watch List" having auto removal upon Played state.

TravelersTheatr
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

What do you mean button to toggle?  Are you referring to Remove from Collection/Playlist as it is a menu option.

Yes, Collections and Playlists are global item.  Playlists will eventually get revamped to be public/private.

What thinking about this as would everyone want removal upon played state.  But this would have to be in the design of a feature like this "To Watch List" having auto removal upon Played state.

On the movie page there is a favorite button and a watched button. It would be nice if they could at a watch list button. Very convenient. Zero downside 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

MBSki
29 minutes ago, TravelersTheatr said:

On the movie page there is a favorite button and a watched button. It would be nice if they could at a watch list button. Very convenient. Zero downside 

Agree. I've started to use tags, but I'd prefer a fully functional watch list. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

So the idea of cloning Favorites would be a viable option for a basic "To Watch List".  But OP request is way beyond a basic watch list.

• Like 1

Romek123

i simply made a to-watch playlist

easy to add or remove  movies

the only thing im missing is that i can't attach it to the start screen

TravelersTheatr
Just now, Romek123 said:

i simply made a to-watch playlist

easy to add or remove  movies

the only thing im missing is that i can't attach it to the start screen

I tried that a few times but my playlists sometimes just disappear. 

TravelersTheatr
On 4/15/2022 at 6:03 PM, Happy2Play said:

So the idea of cloning Favorites would be a viable option for a basic "To Watch List".  But OP request is way beyond a basic watch list.

Personally I’d be happy with just a basic watchlist that was cloned off the favorites.

• Like 1

Romek123

a basic watchlist that was cloned off the favorites.

Well, i would hate this. You always can add stuff you have in your favorites to any list - and so to a "To Watch" List.

I have a lot stuff in my favorites that i already saw and its stuff i can rewatch over and over again.

But in my to watch list i only wanna have stuff that i never saw before but plan to see.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Junglejim

This would be a great feature for Emby! It would compare to the big streaming companies. (Netflix, Prime, etc..)

The favorites is ok but it's just that.. Your favorite movies/tvshows, something that you will watch again.. and again. :)

I would like this list, sometimes content gets overlooked for some reason and this would be a great place to find that content. 👍

• Agree 1

Junglejim

Hi guys, Just thinking out loud here. :)

What if we had a option to rename 'Favorites' to 'Watchlist'? That would be a user specific list and I would personally be up for that!

I just recently cleaned out my fav's list and started using it as a watchlist!

While favorites is ok, I don't use it much because I already know what my fav's are. Just a thought. :)

I've tried playlists and that works but not as personal (I know that is being worked on) but favorites just seems like a throw back to the early XBMC/Kodi days.

The way playlist work at the moment (basic music playlist) adding movies and tvshows or anything else to that playlist just look's shit!

Edited by Junglejim

TravelersTheatr
1 hour ago, Junglejim said:

Hi guys, Just thinking out loud here. :)

What if we had a option to rename 'Favorites' to 'Watchlist'? That would be a user specific list and I would personally be up for that!

I just recently cleaned out my fav's list and started using it as a watchlist!

While favorites is ok, I don't use it much because I already know what my fav's are. Just a thought. :)

I've tried playlists and that works but not as personal (I know that is being worked on) but favorites just seems like a throw back to the early XBMC/Kodi days.

The way playlist work at the moment (basic music playlist) adding movies and tvshows or anything else to that playlist just look's shit!

I agree, but also it seems like the code for favorites could be cloned and given a new name and logo. I’d really love to have both.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

MBSki
36 minutes ago, TravelersTheatr said:

I agree, but also it seems like the code for favorites could be cloned and given a new name and logo. I’d really love to have both.

Agreed. I don't want to lose favorites for the watch list. We need both.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Happy2Play

Yes this idea could work but would require database changes I would think with this route, as isFavorite is Userdata.  So an additional column would be needed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
dannymichel
On 4/27/2022 at 7:13 PM, Happy2Play said:

Yes this idea could work but would require database changes I would think with this route, as isFavorite is Userdata.  So an additional column would be needed.

Watch list I imagine is almost identical to favorites 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
G4n0nD0rf
On 8/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, dannymichel said:

Watch list I imagine is almost identical to favorites 

Items stay in favorites when watched. Items in a 'to watch' list should automatically be removed when watched. I want this!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

dannymichel
17 minutes ago, G4n0nD0rf said:

Items stay in favorites when watched. Items in a 'to watch' list should automatically be removed when watched. I want this!

Same 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1