No support for audio and subtitle toggling on External Players

carloshmm
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

carloshmm

I already tested both VLC and mpv as external media players for Emby and they work without any problems but both of them can't recognize audio tracks and external subtitles, I think they can only recognize the first audio track (the default one for that media) and no external subtitles at all.

Just to clarify, I can watch the same media with the built in/internal/default media player of Emby and I can access all the audio tracks and external subtitles from there.

Am I missing something or support for audio tracks and subtitles is not currently implemented for external players on Emby for Android?

Edited by carloshmm

• Solution

If it is transcoding or remuxing then the external player will only see the transcoded/remuxed stream and that will only contain the selected audio track. Similarly for subtitles, we're only sending the OS a video url which it sends to the player you select in the menu. I'm sure it is possible to support external subtitles depending on how we present the stream to the OS but we just haven't looked at that to this point.

• Like 1

carloshmm

I just tested changing the audio track on Emby before playing the media on the external player but it kept the first audio track, so my guess is that it is directly playing the media so the audio track is immutable in this case. Regarding support for external subtitles on external players, since it is not yet a feature available I let it here as a suggestion :=). Thank you. (Can mark as solved)

carloshmm

I'm trying to directly play some media on my Android device using the built in/internal/default media player of Emby but this media is playing very slowly (stuttering/lagging). The only way I can get rid of this problem is reducing the bitrate of the video, and with this, starting the transcoding process. But I can't do it since my machine is weak for transcoding processes. To solve this problem I started using external players, like mpv and VLC, trying to use their hardware decoding support, as soon as I started using external players with support for hardware acceleration/decoding the same media starts directly playing smooth.

Edited by carloshmm