Thanks!!!

chipper

chipper

First off, thanks for creating this software.

I have used quite a few programs and so far this is the best.  About a month ago I wanted to try to get rid of the PC in the living room (running XBMC) and move to a Roku for our movies and live TV (I know that isn't completed yet, but I'm hopeful it will be soon).  

Right now I have the recordings going to a directory and simply watch them as a video.

I do have a question though.  I have PLEX installed as well, and when I watch a recorded show (MPEG2 in WTV format), it seems to play better in PLEX compared to MB3.  The picture on MB3 just doesn't seem to flow as smoothly as it does on PLEX.  I have the Roku set for 20MB quality, is there anything else I can look at?  We watch  mostly finance/news shows so it isn't horrible, just curious if there are any additional settings to tweak.

Thanks again and looking forward to live TV!

Tikuf

Ya it is an extreme version (zoomed in) but do you see the lines (not that big) on the edges of things that are moving you may have to look pretty closely

Tikuf

Ya it does sound like a combo of deinterlace and frame rate miss match.

Which is entirely possible since roku doesn't support 25 fps are you tv rec pal?

chipper

I'm in Arizona, so it is using NTSC.

When I watch TV tonight, I'll try to take a close look.

Thanks for your help.

chipper

Very difficult to describe.  It might be the deinterlacing...

The picture looks great, but there is a slight jerkiness when they pan or zoom.

As they zoom into a product during a commercial, it doesn't smoothly zoom, it's like it skips every other frame.  

Can't really describe it other than that.

Tikuf

This is an extreme image and it shouldn't ever look as bad but something like this?

531a3f6e937f1_distortion1.jpg

Edited by Tikuf

Tikuf

Hmm can you describe the difference visually.

Does it have horizontal lines across the screen?

Luke I just checked my rec tv folder and the auto deinterlace is not being called for it.

chipper

We watched a couple of news programs last night and it doesn't look quite right still...

I don't notice the blockiness from deinterlacing and the HD channels, but when words are scrolling at the bottom oft he screen, they seem to keep jumping instead of scrolling.  On an SD channel, I did notice some jagged lines, but not too bad.

Even though the picture is clear, it gives it a soft tone (like a slight blur).

Like I said, it is slightly noticeable so I'm not too concerned.  Perhaps when the live TV is enabled, it will play properly.

sinjen

The default bitrate is set very conservatively for the Roku client. Have you gone into the preferences for the client and played with the bitrate any? Also, what are the specs of the machine you're running MBServer on?

Also, what Roku device are you using?

Edit: I re-read your first post where you stated you have adjusted the bitrate. Oops :)

-Sinjen

Edited by sinjen
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Do you have a newer 120 hertz television? Turn off its motion blur fixes. Look in its setup menu.

Edited by Wayne Luke

chipper

I'll have to look for that.

However, the same file plays perfect using Plex (same server box, same Roku).  Everything else looks fine on the box, except for the WTV files when played back.

Thanks.

chipper

I changed a couple of settings (noise and MPEG2 something) from LOW to OFF and that didn't make a difference.  It did make Netflix streaming look worse, so I changed it back.

Someone asked about my server and it is AMD Phenom II X4, Windows 8.1 64-bit with 8GB RAM.  Plenty of drive space (long story - want to bring up NAS, can't decide FreeNAS (mirror vs RAIDZ) vs unRAID - another topic).

We tried to watch Suburgatory last night, but had to switch to Plex.  Supposed they had a character on the screen talking and then switched to another character, but there was a lot of background movement, the video seemed to slow down for a few seconds (very noticeable) and then back to normal.  Unfortunately, for that scene, they kept flipping back and forth, so it kept slow and then normal.  I couldn't watch it like that.

We typically only watch news shows, so there is very little background movement or flipping of people.

Does that help any?

sinjen

Chipper,

Your problem sounds eerily familiar to an issue anyone without a Roku 3 was experiencing several months ago. It took Roku fixing a bug in their playback engine to finally resolve it. I was experiencing the issue myself, but that issue was resolved with the latest firmware update from Roku. Sorry if you've posted this, but exactly what device are you using and what is it's current firmware level?

-Sinjen

sinjen

Hi Sinjen.

I'm using a Roku 3 with the latest firmware (5.3).

That's certainly not the problem then. To my knowledge no version of the Roku 3 software had the video bug that was fixed for all the previous devices. We'll probably end of having to gather all kinds of log files to solve this, but I wanted to ask this first; are any of your recordings that experience this issue small enough that you can upload the file some where and provide Tikuf via pm a link to the file (please don't post a link publicly)? That would allow him to test locally and troubleshooting time would greatly be reduced.

-Sinjen

• Like 1