HDR Video support?

kmanus

I realize this might be a fringe topic, but I'm starting to get more HDR content in my library. We use PC's around our house, but have recently been moving towards Roku's (and Roku TV's,) for everything but the main home theater.

I just purchased a Roku 4K TV that supports HDR. When I play HDR movies in the Emby app, it doesn't trigger HDR on the TV. Checking the server dashboard, it appears to be direct playing.

I noticed that if I go through the "Roku Media player" and select Emby (I believe this is going through DLNA,) with an HDR movie it gets detected by the TV as HDR and acts accordingly.

Am I experiencing a bug or is this just not supported yet? I can go through the Roku built-in player for now, but would prefer to keep it all in Emby.

Thanks!

Here's one from yesterday. This is for playing through the Emby App on the Roku.

Unless I'm in error, it doesn't look like a log file was made for when I played files through the Roku Media Player App.

Emby-HDR-Log-kmanus.txt

Edited by kmanus

It is probably losing the HDR info because it is being transcoded to h264 (this is a 4k video in hevc).

The reason it is transcoding is because the audio is TrueHD which is not supported.

We'll have to see if we can modify the app to not convert to h264 when hevc is supported by the device and see if that makes a difference.

You are correct. When I switched the audio track to Dolby AC3, HDR kicked on. 

It would be great if your solution works, not all my files have multiple audio tracks.

Thanks!

It is probably losing the HDR info because it is being transcoded to h264 (this is a 4k video in hevc).

The reason it is transcoding is because the audio is TrueHD which is not supported.

We'll have to see if we can modify the app to not convert to h264 when hevc is supported by the device and see if that makes a difference.

Appears hevc can work in HLS with roku devices that, of course, support hevc. Just added the ability to blue neon as a test, and test passed, next version of that app will have it. 

@@ebr ...this should work on appletv devices that support hevc too.

• Like 1

@@ebr ...this should work on appletv devices that support hevc too.

Yeah, we already support that there (and Android TV).  Thx.