Running Emby behind a VPN?

BEis

I was wondering if there was a trick to running Emby behind a VPN. Specifically, how do I access Emby from a device outside the local network, while a VPN is running on the server machine?

If I disable the VPN, I am able to easily connect from outside my local network, using Emby Connect. However if the VPN is activated, I am unable to connect. After I sign in with Emby Connect, I see the "Select Server" screen, and my server is shown with a big blue logo. If I click on my server, then click connect, I get the spinning indicator, which stays on for awhile, until it finally comes back with an error screen: "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

I've tried several different VPN providers, with the same result.

I have made sure to have port forwarding set up on my router. Port 8096 is open on the server for TCP and UDP.

My understanding is that Emby Connect is supposed to take care of all this, but I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong... thanks in advance!

adamstewiegreen

I use IPVanish.  They have a port that you can forward if you need to, but a lot of VPNs (in my experience) don't have this option because it's a less secure connection.  You'll have to find out the ports from your VPN.