Prevent bottom OSD from overlaying subtitles

mueslo

Hey, it'd be great if displaying the bottom on-screen display (OSD, e.g. when moving the mouse) pushed up subtitles such that they are not behind the OSD. That's all :)

Edited by mueslo
  • Like 4

This is possible on the client side with very simple DOM modifications. However, the way the video playback page is constructed by Emby to serve video is, to put it plainly, rather convoluted. There appears to be no clear template, videoosd.html is not complete. Is there a non-minified videoosd.js somewhere? Otherwise contributions are basically impossible.

On the client side it can be achieved via a simple dirty workaround by simply moving the existing videoSubtitles-class div and videoOsdPage-id div into a new <div style="min-height: 15%;position: absolute;min-width: 100%;bottom: 0;"></div>, and removing 'position: fixed' from .videoOsdBottom and removing all padding from #videoOsdPage.

Edited by mueslo

• 1 year later...

This is possible on the client side with very simple DOM modifications. However, the way the video playback page is constructed by Emby to serve video is, to put it plainly, rather convoluted. There appears to be no clear template, videoosd.html is not complete. Is there a non-minified videoosd.js somewhere? Otherwise contributions are basically impossible.

On the client side it can be achieved via a simple dirty workaround by simply moving the existing videoSubtitles-class div and videoOsdPage-id div into a new <div style="min-height: 15%;position: absolute;min-width: 100%;bottom: 0;"></div>, and removing 'position: fixed' from .videoOsdBottom and removing all padding from #videoOsdPage.

Since Emby is no longer open source, there's no way to contribute to fix this, so I'd like to bump it to give it some attention. Once you experience this feature on sites like Netflix, it feels like it is missing on all other sites that don't have it :(

It's certainly better now though with the transparent OSD, right?

It's better (I like the overall design, although I do somewhat miss the poster previews), but it would still be amazing to get some sort of smooth html5 transition of pushing the subtitles up and back down so they remain clear ^_^ Reducing the time the OSD stays extended would also help a bit, I think.

I'm not familiar with the code base but I think it would be a change with comparatively little effort for a lot of "impact". Although I don't know what complications there might be with differing subtitle placements settings etc...

miniliQuid

Added my support to this. Had a few times where the show started right away with the characters talking which was therefor almost impossible to read without rewinding and then pausing.

+1

Added my support to this. Had a few times where the show started right away with the characters talking which was therefor almost impossible to read without rewinding and then pausing.

+1

That should be a non-issue now as we no longer show the OSD on playback start.

• Like 2

miniliQuid

True, that pretty much solves it. Though the suggestion is pretty good.

For example when checking time left, or simply adjusting something the bar pops-up (logically) but could still interfere with subs.

Then again that would be easy to solve by rewinding 10 secs (or restarting the episode/movie when at the start) :D