How to remove duplicate Movie Genre

GoHuskies

Genre Cleaner did not remove the duplicate Genres. They were in the Genre Cleaner settings, and I deleted it from there. Now it is gone from the Genre Cleaner list, but still remains in the actual Genre page. Tried restarting the server, no change. Guess I need to repair the DB after all.

So I installed SQLiteDatabaseBrowserPortable and I opened Library.db

Can't find where the Genres are located. The Item ID's are not unreadable. Not even sure if library.db is the correct place to look.

What table would I find the Genre's in and then what steps do I take to apply the change?

If I just delete the Library.db, will Emby recreate it?

I stopped Emby server, renamed the library.db to library.old, restarted the server and re-scanned the library.

Not only did that rebuild the library and fix the duplicates, but the library.db went from 450MB to 19MB and sped up Emby.

Shouldn't there be a way to schedule a library.db cleaning? Or is there a plugin for that?

PenkethBoy

What version of the Emby server are you using?

As you say the ID are not readable i guess you are on the Stable Server

If you delete the library.db it will be recreated on startup (although you may lose some of your metadata customisation) - although this may not solve your problem as the lowercase genre may be embedded in a video file and/or in an nfo (if you use them) and the library scan may pick it up again

Although the newer versions of the Stable server have changes in place to prevent this problem now - as its a long time since i have seen a lowercase genre being picked up. 

[edit]

Good you solved it :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

Happy2Play

I stopped Emby server, renamed the library.db to library.old, restarted the server and re-scanned the library.

Not only did that rebuild the library and fix the duplicates, but the library.db went from 450MB to 19MB and sped up Emby.

Shouldn't there be a way to schedule a library.db cleaning? Or is there a plugin for that?

Of course a new database will be smaller and will grow over the next day or so.  Did you restore any userdata, since you deleted it also?  

Edited by Happy2Play

Gilgamesh_48

Genre Cleaner did not remove the duplicate Genres. They were in the Genre Cleaner settings, and I deleted it from there. Now it is gone from the Genre Cleaner list, but still remains in the actual Genre page. Tried restarting the server, no change. Guess I need to repair the DB after all.

Just want to say that the better way to handle this using Genre Cleaner would be not to delete the unwanted entry but rather to map the unwanted entry to the wanted one. This allows Emby to be as initially "wrong" as it wants to be but fixes it later.

Also I think that the delete only happens on the next full library refresh so that simply deleting a genre will have no effect at all until the library fully refreshes. After a full refresh the deleted genre may well be gone.

• Like 1

I did not restore the userdata. Really don't have any and made very few changes to the metadata except for some images.

Didn't know I could combine genres in the cleaner.

Rebuiding the DB did remove the duplicate Genres

• 1 month later...
nomatches4mikey

Finally got this resolved on my server.  I had a lot of older library entries with media.xml files.  I deleted all the xml files, then edited the library database to remove the genres starting with lower case (after shutting down Emby Server and making a backup, of course.)  Then restarted server and performed a full library scan.  Now the extra genres are gone.

Thanks for the feedback. Newer releases of Emby Server are better at preventing this from happening, though they won't necessarily clean up older existing duplicates for you.