Emby Theatre support for EVC

Daz42

dannygp87

Any other suggestion about the 10bit problem?

I've been searching but I haven't managed to make it work. I'm now 95% sure that the issue is in how ET calls madVR.

Thanks!

Guest asrequested

So I got myself a new 4k tv :)

I have at present, only 2 4k movies. Both are 10bit HDR. One plays correctly and the other, doesn't. Here are the stats from those. If you look at the HDR peak, one appears to be calculating and the other appears to be static at a higher number (100).

Great picture

5a32235895b40_Snapshot_353.jpg

5a3224c4f18e2_Snapshot_356.jpg

Over saturation with a higher HDR peak

5a3223b28201a_Snapshot_354.jpg

5a3224ed00250_Snapshot_355.jpg

Edited by Doofus

dannygp87

Mpv is recommending no hwdec. So I'll test that, tonight. My CPU should be sufficient.

Good! You finnally didn't wait for Santa to come ;)

Which model did you finnally buy?

Is your tv changing to hdr mode when playing the files with mpv?

Guest asrequested

Vizio M55-E0

I haven't got it all dialed in, yet. I just did some quick settings and general testing after I got up and running, last night. I plan to look more deeply into everything.

I did try a little bit in MPC-HC and the color was pallid. I probably need to tweak something. I didn't have much time, last night.

dannygp87

Vizio M55-E0

I haven't got it all dialed in, yet. I just did some quick settings and general testing after I got up and running, last night. I plan to look more deeply into everything.

I did try a little bit in MPC-HC and the color was pallid. I probably need to tweak something. I didn't have much time, last night.

Good choice, same as me!

I'll send you my configuration for MPC-HC tonight/tomorrow when I'm home.

Guest asrequested

Good choice, same as me!

I'll send you my configuration for MPC-HC tonight/tomorrow when I'm home.

Groovy. I'm planning to take a closer look, tonight.

Guys,

Don't waste your time using ET as a player for HDR (or UHD) with madVR. In the history of ET (starting when it was called mediabrowser), it has never allowed full screen exclusive (FSE) mode for madVR. As of now, you need FSE for D3D11 to play 10 bit BT2020 content in madVR.  8 bit bt2020 is not UHD. Unfortunately, these changes will not happen (has not happened in last many years). The developer has not realized its importance, and I am afraid, its not on their priority list.

As much as I love Emby, I eventually switched to Kodi DSPlayer version with madVR, and am perfectly happy with it. Downside it that you get spoiled by ET user interface and ease, for which Kodi is no match. However, I care more about picture quality. 

If there are tricks to get D3D FSE for madVR in ET, please let me know. I will immediately pay for Emby Premier and permanently switch to ET.

JeremyFr79

Vizio M55-E0

Nice, I've got both the M65 and M80, Love em, can't remember if the 55 is one out of the group that had IPS instead of a VA panel or if it was the 50"

Guest asrequested

Nice, I've got both the M65 and M80, Love em, can't remember if the 55 is one out of the group that had IPS instead of a VA panel or if it was the 50"

It has the VA. The P series has the IPS. That was something I was looking at. If Costco had the 55" P series in stock, I'd would have got it. I was too impatient to buy it online :D

JeremyFr79

It has the VA. The P series has the IPS. That was something I was looking at. If Costco had the 55" P series in stock, I'd would have got it. I was too impatient to buy it online :D

My understanding is the VA yields better picture than the IPS, at the loss of angle of vision, and slight brightness.

Guest asrequested

My understanding is the VA yields better picture than the IPS, at the loss of angle of vision, and slight brightness.

Yeah, what I read seemed to be implying that. But it didn't account for new technologies like some of what these displays, have. So it wasn't very concise. Everything is evolving so fast, you almost have to just look at them and juxtapose them, in the moment. 

Guest asrequested

Ok you guys. I have questions. I'm trying to get my stuff dialed in, but I'm not sure if I have a problem, or not. HDR10 is supported

Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
        Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
           Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
            DAC type: Internal
         Device Type: Full Device
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5912&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_04
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 16455 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
       Shared Memory: 16327 MB
        Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)
         HDR Support: Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

But according to this,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

Determine if the current display connection has HDR turned on and has an HDR signal.
Open the text file you saved earlier and look at the value for the Display Color Space.
If the value is DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020, that indicates that this is for HDR10 and the connection is displaying advanced color.
If the value is DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709, that indicates this is sRGB and not advanced color.

advanced color is not working. But I'm thinking that it's just because my desktop isn't HDR?

When playing and HDR10 file with MPC-HC and MadVR with MadVR set to pass the metadata to the display device, the color is definitely different from the desktop, but is only 4.2.0 8bit. Using EVR as the renderer, the color does seem to be correct, but I can't definitively determine if it as it should be (10bit).

This setting is not present

5a35a1c2245e7_Snapshot_357.jpg

@@JeremyFr79 do you have that setting in windows 10? 

Ok you guys. I have questions. I'm trying to get my stuff dialed in, but I'm not sure if I have a problem, or not. HDR10 is supported

Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
        Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
           Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
            DAC type: Internal
         Device Type: Full Device
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5912&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_04
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 16455 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
       Shared Memory: 16327 MB
        Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)
         HDR Support: Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

But according to this,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

Determine if the current display connection has HDR turned on and has an HDR signal.
Open the text file you saved earlier and look at the value for the Display Color Space.
If the value is DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020, that indicates that this is for HDR10 and the connection is displaying advanced color.
If the value is DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709, that indicates this is sRGB and not advanced color.

advanced color is not working. But I'm thinking that it's just because my desktop isn't HDR?

When playing and HDR10 file with MPC-HC and MadVR with MadVR set to pass the metadata to the display device, the color is definitely different from the desktop, but is only 4.2.0 8bit. Using EVR as the renderer, the color does seem to be correct, but I can't definitively determine if it as it should be (10bit).

This setting is not present

5a35a1c2245e7_Snapshot_357.jpg

@@JeremyFr79 do you have that setting in windows 10? 

I wouldn't use Windows 10 to control HDR. On both of my Sony panels (including my brand new A1 OLED), colours are washed out and the picture is dim. I use the nVidia settings instead 4.2.2/10bit/Limited and the colors are spectacular.

I am still getting the TV dialled in too Doofus but I agree with vj950, the only way I'm getting smooth 60fps 10bit HDR playback is by using MPC-HC. I am working out how to use it as an external player.

Edited by Daz42

Guest asrequested

I wouldn't use Windows 10 to control HDR. On both of my Sony panels (including my brand new A1 OLED), colours are washed out and the picture is dim. I use the nVidia settings instead 4.2.2/10bit/Limited and the colors are spectacular.

I am still getting the TV dialled in too Doofus but I agree with vj950, the only way I'm getting smooth 60fps 10bit HDR playback is by using MPC-HC. I am working out how to use it as an external player.

Intel doesn't have any of those settings.

JeremyFr79

I have the same thing with my Vizio TV's as well, it's not the TV that's the issue, but that there's no "drivers" for it, so Windows show's it as a generic display.  Not sure why it's not able to get the full data from the TV as to it's capabilities.  I don't know that we'd have better luck with other brands as there's not really an incentive for manufacturers to create drivers for their TV's to work properly with computers.

Guest asrequested

I think I've got it just about 'tweaked' the way I want it. I'm going to get another display port to HDMI adapter, though. I get momentary audio dropout, and it irritates me. The only thing I think it can be, is the adapter. I'm determined to perfect my setup :) 

The HDR issue isn't a big deal, for me. But I've had a s**t of a time balancing the light and color between the desktop and video playback. 

I think I've got it just about 'tweaked' the way I want it. I'm going to get another display port to HDMI adapter, though. I get momentary audio dropout, and it irritates me. The only thing I think it can be, is the adapter. I'm determined to perfect my setup :)

The HDR issue isn't a big deal, for me. But I've had a s**t of a time balancing the light and color between the desktop and video playback. 

My Sony panels worked well and were recognized straight away. Together with the nVidia GT1030, it only took about an hour to get it all working including HDR10. I could not use the Windows HDR setting as I had mentioned below. Perhaps try Sony or an LG panel?

I am now using MPC-HC as the player and apart from a few frame drops here and there (causing some minor jerkyness), its playing my 4K rips very well and the color is fantastic. I don't know why MPV can't get it right as well as MPC-HC can straight off the bat??

The only main problem I have now is that ET freezes when I exit MPC-HC. Doofus, I see you were involved in a conversation about this a few months back - are you familiar with this problem?

Guest asrequested

Ok, I've figured something out. It looks like mpv doesn't/won't handle HDR in the same way other players do (i.e. switching the display). But I do think it's actually working. I have one movie that seems to just be messed up and I get inconsistent results no matter what I use to play it (I hadn't realized it was a visionplus. HDR on steroids) . With the other two, the picture is just the same in mpv as it is when I play it in PowerDVD and the display/tv is switched to HDR. It looks like mpv uses perceptual quantization to produce the desired output.

pq
ITU-R BT.2100 PQ (Perceptual quantizer) curve, aka SMPTE ST2084
https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/2014-05-06-EOTF-Miller-1-2-handout.pdf

https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/users/user27446/SMPTE%20Montreal%202017-03-21%20-%20HDR%20waveform%20monitoring%20-%20Gord%20Langdon%20Tektronix%20.compressed.pdf

From the mpv log when I tested one movie

[vd] Using hardware decoding (dxva2-copy).
[   0.142][v][vd] Decoder format: 3840x1600 p010 bt.2020-ncl/bt.2020/pq/limited SP=40.000000 CL=unknown (auto 0.000000/0.000000/0.000000)
[   0.142][v][vd] Using container aspect ratio.
[   0.142][v][vf] Video filter chain:
[   0.142][v][vf]   [in] 3840x1600 p010 bt.2020-ncl/bt.2020/pq/limited SP=40.000000 CL=mpeg2/4/h264
[   0.142][v][vf]   [out] 3840x1600 p010 bt.2020-ncl/bt.2020/pq/limited SP=40.000000 CL=mpeg2/4/h264
The one thing that I did see, was that with one movie playing in Theater, the color matrix was set to bt.709, but in my standalone it was set to bt.2020, which was correct. The standalone build that I use is shinchiro's. So I tried copying that into Theater, and tested playback. This time it was set to bt.2020, and the colors were noticeably better, and looking just like they do when I play in PowerDVD. So it looks like if the file is encoded correctly, it plays just fine. And it doesn't use the method of switching the display. I'm very happy with the picture.

And the pq data is encoded into the file, so mpv directly uses the correct information

5a3db9a610c1a_Snapshot_369.jpg

Edited by Doofus