Initial sync error on FireTV stick

cw-kid

cw-kid

Ok thanks. Both sticks are currently syncing music.

Very slow going.

Not sure how to get the logs off now, but going to install an application called adbLink on my imac, think you can use that to connect to the file system on the Fire stick.

You can also use it to make backups of the Kodi setup / userdata folder.

I could not find any setting that cleans the DB on update.

Angelblue05

Yes, the database locked fix slows down the process because it commits after every modification preventing the database locked error from happening.

Anyway, the main reason I added backup/restore was to work around issues like that on low powered device. I didn't want anyone to sync their database for hours. It's way easier to build on a fast pc with the user you want, then porting everything (as long as it's the same Kodi version)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Create-and-restore-from-backup

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

cw-kid

Thanks.

This sync is gonna take a week at this rate. Will checkout the backup / restore option

Also how you getting on with Alexa?

I've got a Google Home Mini on order, gonna test it out.

Angelblue05

Yes, I'd still try to get a log with the database locked error (disabling the option) to see why it's happening, otherwise backup/restore will save you a lot of time.

The skill is being certified at this time. So we'll see. I haven't had difficulties myself, and no one really reported issues. I've added support for the issue when two titles were the same, as we discussed. Will go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

cw-kid

I havent used it much since to be honest but happy to go over it again. Just need to look back at previous test examples / issues and compare.

cw-kid

Will try and get you a log off the fire stick with the DB locked error if I see it again with the setting turned off etc

• Like 1

cw-kid

@@Angelblue05

After what seemed like days one of the fire sticks has finished syncing the music library.

Initially no music would play I got a playback failed message until changing the server address in the Emby addon settings from the local LAN IP address / http port to the WAN domain address / https port. Then the music then began playing OK.

The total albums count says 1387. Yet if I look in Kodi on my imac that is also using the Emby addon for Kodi, the total in there is 1376. So a difference there for some reason.

Tried to play a few movies in Kodi on the fire stick most I tried seemed to play.

Blu-ray ISO titles don't play and give a playback failed message. DVD video-ts titles did play OK and just started playing the main movie, didn't see the DVD menus.

HD MKV titles started playing OK. As did a few mp4 and avi ones I tried.

Tried to play some TV show episodes most played OK, but episodes from a particular show make Kodi bomb out completely and it goes back to the Fire sticks home page / GUI.

Navigating around Kodi can be a bit laggy at times, scrolling through movie titles and then it stops with the spinning circle and you have to wait a bit before you can continue moving down through the titles.

Overall a complete nightmare to do a sync with my large media library. Just limitations of the hardware I guess.

I am using the default native Estuary skin.

Not sure if you have had much feedback before about running Kodi with Emby on these Fire sticks?

Edited by cw-kid

Angelblue05

Yep, that's why the backup/restore.

All that testing and no logs? :P

You should also look into advanced settings to make your artwork more reasonable, That will help with the lag, well now it's too late but if ever you reset... Overall Kodi on fire tv stick is not great, even without emby for kodi. ISO have never worked if you set your addon playback. And you have no choice since this will be used remotely to your server.

Edited by Angelblue05

cw-kid

The TV show episodes that bomb Kodi right out back to the FireTV home menu..

I tried to play one of those same episodes in the Emby app on the Fire stick. It was buffering and looking on the Emby server dashboard it was transcoding it.

Think they are HD mkv but will look at their codec type.

I will also try and play that episode on the imac in Kodi with the Emby addon see what happens?

I've only really just started to test playing content. Will get some logs if I can.

Also the album count in the Emby app on the Fire stick is 1392 total. So I have three different totals on three different Emby connected apps.

When you mention making the artwork more reasonable using the advancedsetting.xml what did you mean?

Thanks.

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

My folks were using Now Tv boxes aka Roku with the Emby Neon app. But Sky blocked side loading apps and made those devices useless.

So they have been running Kodi with the Emby addon on their laptops. Which has been working OK.

But wanted to make it easier for them, so bought these two Fire sticks in the Black Friday sales.

But they are not great it seems with a large library.

I guess most people running Kodi on FireTV sticks have no "local" library and just use banned addons.

Angelblue05

You can set the size of the cached artwork. 

http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.xml#imageres

I have a firetv stick myself for testing purposes only. I pull logs with abdfire or abdlink. I honestly cannot remember how I set it up, but you can look it up.

However yeah, I would imagine with a large library it may lag a bit.

cw-kid

Thanks. Yes I had read about adblink will set that up today on the imac.

And I will read about the cached artwork size.

cw-kid

So basically add these two lines to an advancedsettings.xml

<imageres>720</imageres>

<fanartres>1080</fanartres>

Or possibly make them even smaller like:

1280x720 fanart and 341x512 thumbnails.

<imageres>512</imageres>

<fanartres>720</fanartres>

Edited by cw-kid
  • Like 1

cw-kid

Also neither of these remote users in Kodi seem to have access to the Photos or Home Videos. I cannot see these in Kodi.

If I launch the FireTV Emby app instead they can see / access Photos and Home Videos.

Looking at the users in the Emby server dashboard on the Access tab, under Library Access. Enable access to all libraries is turned on.

Actually in Kodi if I go to the Videos main menu the area where it lists Categories, Media Sources and Playlists.

If under Categories I select "Emby" it then lists:

Movies

Kids Movies

Kids TV

TV

Home Videos

If I go into Home Videos and select the sub item Home Videos I can then see our home videos listed.

But not obvious how to access them. Maybe I need to add them to the Kodi favourites?

As for Picture in the Pictures main menu it just shows

Picture addons

Add Pictures

So I went to addons main menu in Kodi and down to Picture addons and selected Emby.

I could then see "Photos" listed clicked in to that, selected the Photos sub item and then I could see my picture folders.

So I've added Photos to the Kodi favourites as well.

I guess in a more advanced skin you would create custom menus or sub menu items to point to Home Videos and Photos that are in Emby.

Not sure if you can do that with just Estuary skin.

Angelblue05

Nope, you can't with Estuary. Need to use a diff skin or an Estuary mod that allows for customized main items.

Angelblue05

I'm confused by your post, are you saying ur pics and home videos are not showing up? Sorry if I don't reply, I might have fallen asleep :-)

cw-kid

Sorry I am saying initially I could not see our Home Videos or Photos in Kodi. But after digging around in the various areas I found them and created Kodi favourites to access them more easily. 

For the average user he/she would never know to look in those areas to find them. 

cw-kid

I have just installed adblink now and just working out how to connect and upload an advancedsettings.xml file to the Sticks, to down res the artwork files. I understand I need to reset the DB and delete the artwork files to do this. 

But I may have to reset them anyway as some movies still missing on one of the sticks. 

cw-kid

I think i just put this in the advancedsettings.xml file

<advancedsettings>
    <imageres>512</imageres>
    <fanartres>720</fanartres> 
</advancedsettings>

cw-kid

Another issue?

In the Emby addon settings on both Fire sticks, the server address keeps reverting back to http://SERVER-LAN-IP:8096

if I set it again to my domain name, like https port: https://mydomain.com:8920 when I exit and relaunch Kodi, its changed the server address back to the local LAN IP http port. 

Is this just because the sticks are currently connected to my local LAN ? I hope they don't do this when they are located remotely away from this LAN etc. 

cw-kid

ok so I added the advancedsettings.xml to down res the artwork. So on one of the sticks i reset the local DB. The lock fix setting is currently turned off, to try and speed up the sync. 

It seemed to sync all the movies OK and moved on to TV Shows, the next time I looked up at the screen the sync was no longer running. There was no popup error message on the screen or anything. 

Looking on the Emby server the system tray app had quit out for some reason. So I restarted Emby server. 

The Kodi log file is too big for Pastebin site. So I have put in on my Dropbox:

LINK REMOVED

There doesn't appear to be an exception error in the log. However there is an awful lot of time out errors. 

It appears the initial sync takes down the Emby server ! 

Thanks x

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

So after the sync bombed I used the "Repair local DB" option and selected each type in turn. Like TV shows, music, music videos. All content is now present.

The thumbnail folder size before adding the advancedsettings.xml file was 2.54GB.

After this "sync" the thumbnail folder is now 2.04GB. So it is a bit smaller in size.

However navigating up and down through the movie titles seems much improved and much quicker all round for the title cover images to appear and no more spinning circle !

Likewise with the albums much snappier.

I've just reset the local DB and deleted all the artwork files on the second stick, to rebuild it for the down sized resolution artwork etc.

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

I mentioned some TV Show episodes when attempting to play them crash Kodi and it immediately bombs out and you are taken back to the FireTV sticks home page area.

Looking at one of these files in MediaInfo its a newer H.265 HEVC .MKV file with AAC audio channel.

I can send the file to you if you want to take a look at it.

I then attempted to play the same episode in Kodi with the Emby addon on my iMAC and it played OK. So maybe the little FireTV stick just can't handle them ?

Thanks

EDIT:

Just tried playing this same episode in the Emby app on the FireTV stick. Its starts playing but not well keeps stopping and starting.

Emby server dashboard says its transcoding and my servers CPU is pegged at 100%. So the little HP Microserver not fast enough to transcode it.

Still strange though why Kodi crashes out and doesn't even attempt to play it.

post-2165-0-91000500-1511861372_thumb.png

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

In the addon settings Force transcode H265 is currently Disabled.

Force transcode of Hi0P is turned off.

What's Hi0P ? Never heard of that.

I changed Force transcode H265 to 480p(and higher)

Tried to play it again in Kodi, after relaunching Kodi and I get an Emby error check log for details message.

You want the log?

Thanks