Is there a post describing user experiences with different QNAP models?

Gaitkeeper

Gaitkeeper

I’m looking at the QNAP TS-453A, but I’m wondering what other users experiences are with it’s performance. Currently I’m running a QNAP 431 and hosting the server on an i5 Alienware small form factor pc. It handles transcoding beautifully, but I’d like to host the server on the NAS and get rid of the computer all together. Will I experience the same performance with this set up?

Not that I know of, but the 251 model is very popular, so I imagine the 453 is great if it's an upgraded version of that.

PenkethBoy

.netcore server version works fine on my 853A But...

transcoding on an x53A is limited as its only a celeron processor - one 1080p transcode is your limit

You could pre transcode your movies to a suitable format that your clients can play natively - say using Handbrake or similar - although it can be a lengthy process

QNAP do produce NAs's with i3 i5 i7 but they are much more pricy than the 453A - also the new Ryzen versions are out or will be very soon - again likely to be pricy though

Well the community version with mono does work but there are a lot of videos freezes.

The netcore version does not work at all on my qnap (TS-459 PRO II)

PenkethBoy

yes the .netcore version will not work for your 459 Pro II (i have one as well) as its running a 32 bit OS and Emby is only available in 64bit .netcore at the moment

There was a 32 bit version i tried approx a month ago which was pulled that worked on my 459 - hopefully MS will fix the issues on 32bit .netcore etc etc

Edited by PenkethBoy

yes the .netcore version will not work for your 459 Pro II (i have one as well) as its running a 32 bit OS and Emby is only available in 64bit .netcore at the moment

There was a 32 bit version i tried approx a month ago which was pulled that worked on my 459 - hopefully MS will fix the issues on 32bit .netcore etc etc

Thanks for clarifying that.

Is there an github issue you are aware of (on dotnet/core)?

I just found this: https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/9265

Edited by IQ2000

PenkethBoy

no idea what the actual issue is but as your NAS's is EOL and no more firmware updates are coming its probably not worth the effort for Luke et al to produce a 32bit version - they have enough different flavours of linux to support as it is.

But they might so you may be in luck sometime in the future :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have the TS-569 PRO, just an Atom CPU. I'm using it only locally and with Premiere, so I can use all Emby Apps. Mostly transcoding isn't needed. Sometime only transcoding audio. And it handles this quite fine.

When it needs transcoding video it is hopelessly useless... If then I could pre-transcode or revert to Kodi.

Gaitkeeper

Well the community version with mono does work but there are a lot of videos freezes.

The netcore version does not work at all on my qnap (TS-459 PRO II)

Ok, I think I'm experiencing the video freezes that you mentioned. The first movie I watched was running Emby through my FireTV (new gen) and the movie just stopped playing. I had to completely reboot the FireTV to get Emby to start playing the movie again. That was extremely frustrating. The second time, I was using an Xbox One S and the movie stopped. I almost shit, but then it started playing again without any prompting. The third one I tried (with Xbox again) played through without incident. I am absolutely LOVING running the Emby server through the QNAP. It's exactly what I've wanted for the past 8 years. But I can't handle the stop/starts. I dread having to hook that computer back up and go back to the old way. Any suggestions?

Edited by Gaitkeeper

Ok, I think I'm experiencing the video freezes that you mentioned. The first movie I watched was running Emby through my FireTV (new gen) and the movie just stopped playing. I had to completely reboot the FireTV to get Emby to start playing the movie again. That was extremely frustrating. The second time, I was using an Xbox One S and the movie stopped. I almost shit, but then it started playing again without any prompting. The third one I tried (with Xbox again) played through without incident. I am absolutely LOVING running the Emby server through the QNAP. It's exactly what I've wanted for the past 8 years. But I can't handle the stop/starts. I dread having to hook that computer back up and go back to the old way. Any suggestions?

@@Gaitkeeper We should look at some examples. Please follow the guidelines in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Gaitkeeper

Thanks, Luke. If it happens again I will be sure to send the log. Should I post it here or create a new thread?

• 6 months later...
Gaitkeeper

I figured I should update this as it's been several months. So I've been using the 453A since January with the xbox as my client and it's been a great experience so far. I should mention that I only store DVD's on the qnap, no Blu-Ray.