Install Emby as a service

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Followed the guide on https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50992-how-to-run-emby-server-as-a-windows-service/ and it took me 30 minutes to figure out the reason why Emby service would not start.
Message on service initialization was  "The system cannot find the file specified".

The machine is 64bit but the guide only mentions the System32 path.

Though this is really, really obvious and plain simple, I thought Emby should be started by 32 bit NSSM.

I would suggest editing the guide just to prevent others from stucking on the same silly issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Followed the guide on https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50992-how-to-run-emby-server-as-a-windows-service/ and it took me 30 minutes to figure out the reason why Emby service would not start.

Message on service initialization was  "The system cannot find the file specified".

Though this is really, really obvious and plain simple, I thought Emby should be started by 32 bit NSSM.

I would suggest editing the guide just to prevent others from stucking on the same silly issue.

Just for info..

Just to make it clear for others like me: On 64 bit systems... Unzip and put the 64 version of nssm.exe into the system32

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
tonyp4420

After 30 minutes of digging around, I came across this article to resolve my issue.  I'm a bit disappointed they took away the built in service and left vague article to do it manually in it's place.  Thank you EduardoSantos.

One more quick tip that I found, remove Emby Server from startup applications once you start running it as a service.

One question, do I lose auto update once running as a service? The Dashboard now tells me to shut down Emby and install the latest version instead of allowing me to just restart.

One more quick tip that I found, remove Emby Server from startup applications once you start running it as a service.

One question, do I lose auto update once running as a service? The Dashboard now tells me to shut down Emby and install the latest version instead of allowing me to just restart.

Yes, the service won't automatically update. Thanks.

It's just an unfortunate coincidence that the new .net Core work removed the auto-service-creation feature in the same time-frame that M$ "created" the delete-non-microsoft-services issue with it's post-creator's-version-update-process.

I prefer to have a service because it guarantees emby is always running regardless of who logs on the server m/c.   

I'm happy with NSSM because as a 63 year old fart, I used srvany from the NT ResourceKit circa 1996 (great with compiled PERL)...having previously used scarey Daemons from multiple SVR4.2 UNIX flavours (sic).

But many will struggle, I predict a peak in your windoze desktop support workload.

BTW the instructions don't explain HOW to work with System PATH....

Thanks for all the work you chaps put in.  I really do like the EMBY platform.

Edited by slapt0p

BTW the instructions don't explain HOW to work with PATH....

I'll look at updating the instructions, thanks for the feedback.

I'm also not opposed to forking NSSM and rebranding it as Emby Service Manager, if that would make people feel more comfortable.

This removal of running Emby as a service REALLY ANNOYS ME. I have followed the NSSM instructions, but when the service attempts to start it fails with the error

Failed to start service Emby Server. Program C:\Users\hcpc_user\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system couldn't be launched. CreateProcess() failed: Access is denied.

Why change something that was working perfectly before? It now makes the whole process frustrating......especially when it fails work.

hi @@wyerd, judging from the error message it sounds like you might be pointing NSSM to the folder path and not the .exe inside the folder.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Happy2Play

This removal of running Emby as a service REALLY ANNOYS ME. I have followed the NSSM instructions, but when the service attempts to start it fails with the error

Failed to start service Emby Server. Program C:\Users\hcpc_user\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system couldn't be launched. CreateProcess() failed: Access is denied.

Why change something that was working perfectly before? It now makes the whole process frustrating......especially when it fails work.

To me that points to a permission issue.

As for worked perfectly before, well every major update from Microsoft has remove the service and Emby user would blame Emby for a Microsoft problem.

I have followed the instruction in the wiki may times and have yet to have it fail.  If you are having issue you will have to explain what you are doing to see if we can replicate it and update the wiki if needed. :) 

Is the Path pointing to the system folder, or the EmbyServer.exe file inside the system folder? it should be the exe file. Thanks !

Yes Luke, you are quite correct. I hadn't included the EXE. :wacko: Can I suggest that the Wiki has an example screen shot to make it clearer to what the configuration should look like? 

Apologies for my outburst earlier.

Happy New Year!

Happy2Play
Application path: path to EmbyServer.exe

Or accenting Embyserver.exe

itsme_to

hi @@tonyp4420, the article is step by step. what exactly do you feel is vague? ?thanks.

Its removed whitout a warning whatsoever. Emby is acting like  a virus at this point. The more i read the more im starting to hate Emby

No server services whitout any warning, Only @ amateurs

• 1 year later...
Happy2Play

Looks like they are currently returning a 503 Service Unavailable.

kingbily

Download NSSM. Make sure to choose the 64-bit or 32-bit version of NSSM to match the architecture of your Windows installation.

Save nssm.exe to a folder of your choice. You'll need to keep NSSM in this folder in order for the service to function.

Open a command prompt as admin and "cd" to the folder containing NSSM.

Type "nssm install" to open the NSSM user interface.

Follow this guide to create your Windows Service, but incorporate the following changes:

Application path: path to EmbyServer.exe

Startup directory: folder containing the above executable

Arguments: -service

Service name: Emby Server (or other name of your choice)

Then, on the exit actions tab, make sure to configure the exit action to not automatically restart

This is important because without this, using the Shutdown button inside Emby Server will cause NSSM to automatically restart Emby Server.

Edited by kingbily