VP9, Opus, mkv/webm on Chromecast Ultra

mawazi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

It would be great if the Chromecast Ultra profile would be updated to allow direct playing of VP9, Opus, and mkv/webm containers. They all definitely work, as I can direct play them with all transcoding turned off. The reference VP9 encoder (libvpx in ffmpeg) pushed out an update in October that allows for much faster encoding than before, making VP9 a useable codec for me (and others). All of those codecs and containers are open and freely licensed as well, which is a great thing to support. Also, VP9 + Opus + webm is directly playable in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera (as well as Edge if an experimental flag is enabled) which makes up a large percentage of browser use.

Hi, can you provide any sample media of things that are not direct playing but should? I've previously tested all of these i'm fairly certain. thanks.

Hi, can you provide any sample media of things that are not direct playing but should? I've previously tested all of these i'm fairly certain. thanks.

Here's a sample mkv: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Si6uuKK7pBZwad3-7qCHqbG5tcAgL53w

For me, with all transcoding features turned on for the user, the sample transcodes into h264+mp3+mkv. With all transcoding features turned off for the user, it direct plays.

Ok, reboot your casting app and give it another shot, thanks.

Awesome. Working like a charm now. Thanks, Luke! I really appreciate how responsive you are to your users.