Amazon is releasing Echos in Canada

chef

Finally! It looks like preorder are now available for Canadians and the date of the actual release is December 5!

A whole new country to use your plugin!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Echo Dot today, I can't for the life of me get the Emby skill though :(

I tried setting my language to "English(US)" and it still won't turn up. The Alexa app won't let me search for skills until I switch my language back to "English(Canada)" and when I try a direct web link to the skill page it says it's blocked by geographical reasons...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Tharnax

I've started my collection of Echo's recently but most are Christmas gifts for members of the family so I actually haven't opened any.  In preparation for setup I've been looking at the things I'd most likely use Alexa for, of course, one of them would be for controlling EMBY.  

Seems some Canadian's have tried with limited success.  Looking at the Alexa WIKI it appears English US and English UK are supported so I assume if I setup English (Canada) as my default language I won't have the option to add the Alexa for EMBY skill to my Echo devices.  It also appears based on @@pmac 's feedback that even setting our language to English US will also not work.

Any thoughts on how us Canadian's can now get on-board with controlling EMBY through Alexa like the US & UK?  Happy to contribute if I can to help with progress for this initiative, just point me in the right direction.

I just got my Echo Dot today, I can't for the life of me get the Emby skill though :(

I tried setting my language to "English(US)" and it still won't turn up. The Alexa app won't let me search for skills until I switch my language back to "English(Canada)" and when I try a direct web link to the skill page it says it's blocked by geographical reasons...

I have asked Amazon about this because I am seeing the same thing on my device.

I think a have a work around for this.

It involves opening an Amazon.com account.

I'll get back to you!

Edited by chef

@@pmac

try this,

If that works, then try to log into your alexa dashboard with the amazon.com info.

At this point, you should be able to access all U.S skills, including Emby.

In the meantime, who is the Alexa developer for Emby? Anyone know? We should get him involved over here, so he can set Canada for receiving the skill.

Canada finally caught up to the states, so he'll have to throw us a bone.

Let know if the workaround works for you. 

Tharnax

In the meantime, who is the Alexa developer for Emby? Anyone know? We should get him involved over here, so he can set Canada for receiving the skill.

Canada finally caught up to the states, so he'll have to throw us a bone.

Isn't the developer @Angelblue05?  or was that just for the Alexa UK Beta?  

Profile says "female" so maybe we can see if "she'll" get involved.   B)

Appears she supported the Alex UK beta and created the Wiki, so maybe she'd know best how to promote or convert the English US into English CA for us Alexa users in Canada.

Maybe buying a few Beers or Chocolate would go along way from moving her focus from Alexa for German to Alexa for Canada.  Besides wouldn't it be easier to add English Canada to Alexa?  :D

All the developer has to do is add Canada to the custom skill in a drop down list.

Hopefully they'll add us Canucks so we can enjoy :)

If not I have a plugin Alexa skill that works with emby until we get sorted :)

Edited by chef

Angelblue05

Chef it's in the process already but for some reason Alexa is throwing bootstrap errors. It has nothing to do with the skill. I could try to add you to the beta, to see if it was just that one user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@@chef how does your plugin skill differ from a regular skill? As @@Angelblue05 said, there's been some difficulties getting the Canadian skill working for some reason, I'd be interested to try something out in the meantime!

Tharnax

I could try to add you to the beta, to see if it was just that one user.

I know this was directed at Chef and I'm not "opening" Alexa until the 25th but I'd be happy to beta test the Alexa skill, if required.  

Angelblue05

Beta for Canada skills is still not working. Will let you guys know when the issue is resolved in Alexa. Their servers are still throwing locale errors.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

@@chef how does your plugin skill differ from a regular skill? As @@Angelblue05 said, there's been some difficulties getting the Canadian skill working for some reason, I'd be interested to try something out in the meantime!

It is in no way as robust as the official emby plugin.

@@chef are you having any other issues with Alexa lately? Mine seems to have completely gone down tonight. I'm getting a red ring whenever I ask it anything, whether it's from my dot or using reverb on my phone; nothing seems to work right now.

Tharnax

Everyone I know bought one. Most people didn't even realize that you could have bought a google home almost six months ago at Walmart in Canada, and everyone bought an Echo.

I think a lot of people were waiting for the Echo's to be available in Canada, then the released them for pre-order with some pretty good deals.  I got one of my Echos through Telus which came with a one year subscription to Amazon Prime.  I knew about the Google Home release and debated stopping by the Google Home display at Nathan Philips Square to check it out but after I saw the size of the lines online I quickly changed my mind.  Glad I waited to purchase Google Home though with the introduction of Amazon Echo, Google has really discounted their home devices to compete so I got both.  

I think a lot of people were waiting for the Echo's to be available in Canada, then the released them for pre-order with some pretty good deals. I got one of my Echos through Telus which came with a one year subscription to Amazon Prime. I knew about the Google Home release and debated stopping by the Google Home display at Nathan Philips Square to check it out but after I saw the size of the lines online I quickly changed my mind. Glad I waited to purchase Google Home though with the introduction of Amazon Echo, Google has really discounted their home devices to compete so I got both.

Ah from the T. <-or is it 'T dot' lol.

I'm just south of you down the 115. Lol!

Red ring can mean no connect to the wifi. Were you able to sort out that issue? Restarting the echo can usually fix that.

I bet those Amazon servers in Canada are getting pounded with Alexa request, from everybody.

Everyone I know bought one. Most people didn't even realize that you could have bought a google home almost six months ago at Walmart in Canada, and everyone bought an Echo.

Not sure what the issue was, but its working again this morning  :huh:

I've thought about getting a google home, since they're essentially interchangable with echo's. Right now I've just got an old phone running reverb in my bedroom for Alexa connectivity, but it obviously doesn't quite have the same microphone sensitivity, and I miss out on a few features such as using it as an intercom between echo's/etc. One bonus of using my old Galaxy S4 in there is the built in IR emitter (4 or 5 years old and still ahead of the iPhone X lol); $9.95 for the paid version of AnyMote, and no need to a 2nd Harmony Hub  :D  (Having two Harmony Hubs connected to Alexa doesn't work very well right now anyway, unfortunately).

Tharnax

Ah from the T. <-or is it 'T dot' lol.

I'm just south of you down the 115. Lol!

Close!  Just work in the 'T dot'. :)

South!?  I always thought Peterborough was north on the 115. Lol!  

Not sure what the issue was, but its working again this morning :huh:

I've thought about getting a google home, since they're essentially interchangable with echo's. Right now I've just got an old phone running reverb in my bedroom for Alexa connectivity, but it obviously doesn't quite have the same microphone sensitivity, and I miss out on a few features such as using it as an intercom between echo's/etc. One bonus of using my old Galaxy S4 in there is the built in IR emitter (4 or 5 years old and still ahead of the iPhone X lol); $9.95 for the paid version of AnyMote, and no need to a 2nd Harmony Hub :D (Having two Harmony Hubs connected to Alexa doesn't work very well right now anyway, unfortunately).

I was looking at harmony hubs just the other day. Do they need to be directly infront of the tv for them to work?

What is the range like. Would it work from across a room? If the room was about 15 feet.

Edited by chef

I was looking at harmony hubs just the other day. Do they need to be directly infront of the tv for them to work?

What is the range like. Would it work from across a room? If the room was about 15 feet.

It will fire across the room just fine.  Mine is on the back of my couch.

• Like 1

nurse_curtis

Is the code for the Alexa skill available anywhere?  There are so many skills I'm waiting for in Canada and would like to help testing if possible.  I recently got this amazing Google Assistant skill working like a dream, and made my Google Mini obsolete! https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant

I'm no coder, but can help with testing and am a half-decent code-hacker if I have something to work with.  A quick search on github didn't lead me to find it.

Is the code for the Alexa skill available anywhere?  There are so many skills I'm waiting for in Canada and would like to help testing if possible.  I recently got this amazing Google Assistant skill working like a dream, and made my Google Mini obsolete! https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant

I'm no coder, but can help with testing and am a half-decent code-hacker if I have something to work with.  A quick search on github didn't lead me to find it.

Ah! another Canadian! 'We The North!'

Unfortunately, @nurse_curtis, I believe the Alexa isn't open source. 

The custom skill I wrote with another community member involves running your Emby server through a domain with an SSL Cert, so it gets kind of complicated, whereas the official Emby skill works through Emby Connect (I think) and is much easier to enable.

With the holidays coming up, and some free time I'll have, I would like to take @Angleblue05 up on their invite to join the beta program for alexa in Canada. 

-----

But did anyone try the workaround?

1. Log into the '.com' amazon with your account info. Make sure your Credentials work with 'Amazon.com'

2. Then use those credentials in your Alexa App setup.

3. Make sure you choose a Location somewhere in the States

4. Add all the skills you want from the U.S. Skill Catalog

5. Turn your Location back to Canada, but stay logged in with the 'Amazon.com' - not '.ca'

All the skills added from the workaround should still work, even though you are set to Canada, and you may find that you can't access the Skill Catalog unless you reset your Alexa App and sign in again with Canadian Creds ('.ca').

Edited by chef