A question about transcoding

BEis

That's still using the cpu. fill disclosure, i didn't' actually check to see what libraries are included in those MacOS builds, I just assumed they exactly match the Windows builds.

Well, I've already replaced the files, so I don't know if it's good or bad ... I guess I could just reinstall Emby from scratch, if it's not doing any good.

So the fact that it's still using the CPU, does that mean we might still see support in the future? Or is it a no-go?

Everbrave

I'd have to see the server log, but quicksync is not active here.

I stopped the server, replaced the files, restarted the Mac and I am getting very low CPU user load (3-10%) with QSV enabled. However, the playback often pauses and resumes after a while. Just before pausing, the CPU load becomes high but never as much as before replacing the files.

Here the ffmpeg log with QSV and the files replaced.

Log-4.txt

Everbrave

What I posted about the CPU load is what I got while playing in Safari. Playing the same media file using the Apple TV 4K Emby app. shows CPU loads (user) of around 33-40% !!!

Here is the ffmpeg  log file

Log-5.txt

What I posted about the CPU load is what I got while playing in Safari. Playing the same media file using the Apple TV 4K Emby app. shows CPU loads (user) of around 33-40% !!!

Here is the ffmpeg  log file

It's decoding HEVC and encoding to h264 along with burning in subtitles. That is not a trivial task and will consume some resources.

Everbrave

It's decoding HEVC and encoding to h264 along with burning in subtitles. That is not a trivial task and will consume some resources.

based on the log files, is it HW or SW transcoding?

Everbrave

That example is software.

I toggled the HW transcoding and made the comparison again; I get similar CPU loads.

So, I conclude that QSV is not working even with files replaced.

I think we'll use that build anyway starting with the next release, so let's re-evaluate then. Thanks.

Everbrave

I think we'll use that build anyway starting with the next release, so let's re-evaluate then. Thanks.

I gave up on the Emby Server for MacOS for now. Frequent pausing makes the playback experience not exactly enjoyable.

Currently, I am running Emby Server on a Synology DS918+ with MrMC as a client on ATV 4K, since the Emby app for tvOS is unreliable at best (rather unusable!). I have many apps for local streaming, so it is not problem, but I hope to have a reliable Server performance for remote Playback.

Currently, the Hardware Transcoding for DS918+ (Apollo Lake) is working using AV-API; I hope QSV will provide for even better performance when properly implemented in Emby Server (currently, it doesn't work).

The developers of the Synology package really need to get HW Transcoding working with QSV because The Other Server" can do it too (using their customised ffmpeg) and I (nobody) want to go back ;)

Edited by Everbrave

Everbrave

For synology we support vaapi and many are reporting nice results with it. Thanks.

yes, indeed but still the QSV doesn't work (why?) and tvOS client is on the Alpha level. The wisdom is, in a server-client concept, both parts must be equally maintained.

The TVOS client is fully released and beyond alpha level, but please report your feedback for it in that section of the community.

QSV requires building those libraries into our included ffmpeg builds. it's something we can look at in the future but right now VAAPI works very well.

Everbrave

The TVOS client is fully released and beyond alpha level, but please report your feedback for it in that section of the community.

QSV requires building those libraries into our included ffmpeg builds. it's something we can look at in the future but right now VAAPI works very well.

Thanks

• 10 months later...
mireki1975

good news, i had also transcoding "problems" with extrem high cpu usage on a mac mini 2012 i7 quad.

now i got the new mac mini i7 and it raised the temperature also when streaming to another device (also direct play).

i investigated around because i cant believe that the new mac mini has such problems with transcoding and installed BETA 3.6.0.63 for macos

and with this version streaming to iOS devices works without big CPU Load!!! THANKS

but take care this version has problems with current local Kodi/emby addon players so i decided to go back to current release.

Team Emby : when is 3.6 ready for rollout?

• 2 months later...

Ok, still new at Emby using 4.0.0.2. With 2018 Mini i5 and Transcoding page on Emby Server with Hardware Acceleration set to Auto. Everything else is at Defaults except maybe Throttling is On.

macOS, iOS, and tvOS all at latest versions.

720p x265 video streaming to iPad mini 4. Emby Dashboard reads "Emby iOS 1.7.2" & "Direct Playing"

and

1080p x265 video streaming to AppleTV4K.  Emby Dashboard reads: tvOS 1.2.14  "Transcoding (26 fps)" 3.3 Mbps H 264 (AAC)  and  "HEVC Software --- > H.264 (AVC) Software" .

Activity Monitor reads mostly in the mid to high 2% range occasionally spiking to 3 second bursts of 15% or 1 second at 55% both occurring about 1 or 2 percent of the total time.

I don't know how to interpret this as I never looked under the hood with P.lex but appreciate the information available here. I like it!

I saw 264 video toolbox mentioned in the x 264 hardware acceleration section. The system load I'm seeing is much lower than when using HandBreak transcoding x264 to x265. With HandBreak it would be a steady 55% or so with this mini.

Is HEVC_video_tool_box being loaded automatically?

Hi, yes we are using videotoolbox for hardware acceleration on MacOS. The reason for the lower system load is most likely the throttle feature. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Turned off throttling and ran the same videos as before and it appears that when transcoding 1080p x265 to x264 files to both AppleTVs the processor bursts up to about 55% for about 90 seconds and then settles down to a 2 to 5% load while streaming to the 2 AppleTVs and the iPad. The transcoding was showing 129 fps when bursting.

I wonder if the AppleTV's buffer stores the transcoded file hence the short initial burst of processor load. I believe AppleTV's don't support HEVC yet while iOS does.

I'll have to check if this same buffer behavior applies to a Fire stick.

No. On the contrary. It's great that you've enabled videotoolbox.

In my case I think running Emby Server without throttling might be best for me as it seems the 50% CPU load is only for the first 90 seconds and then it's down to almost nothing which is great considering this is not a dedicated server. 

Charlie117

is there a T2 Chip transcoding in the works?

Thanks for info

I had no idea the T2 Chip also had an ASIC encoder onboard:

HEVC video transcoder

The Apple T2 chip features a specialized video transcoder for the High Efficiency Video Coding codec, also known as H.265, bringing 30 times faster decoding so you can work more quickly with higher resolution video throughout pro workflows.

But I would do some comparisons first with the Intel iGPU ASIC encoder to check if it's really worth the effort of adding support for the T2 Chip if it doesn't offer any significant advantages. 

Edited by Charlie117

mireki1975

from my point of view it makes sense even if the whole filesize drops when transcoding h264 to h265 via T2 and stream it over the web