Very long connect times

BEis

I'm finding something very frustrating with my setup, I was hoping I could get some help. Often, when I'm starting an Emby app, it takes a very long time to connect to my Mac server. This happens on several different platforms: Apple TV, web app, iOS...

Sometimes it even times out, for example on the Apple TV, it will go to the "Welcome to Emby" screen and invite me to Enter Server Address or Login With Connect.

I've found when this happens, it helps if I go to the computer that the server is installed on, and through the menubar icon, select any one of the menu options (Browse Library, etc). Then I can go back to the other app, try again, and login will be very quick.

The computer itself is not asleep, but is there anything in the Emby settings that could be causing the server app to be sleeping, and not listening for clients to be trying to connect? That's the only thing I can think of, because it doesn't happen all the time, although it does happen often enough to be annoying.

Looking forward to hearing any suggestions to fix this. Thanks!

Hi, there's nothing in emby server settings related to this. Is it possible the network card in the Mac is being put to sleep when idle?

Hi Luke, thanks for your reply. No, that's not possible, because when this happens, the network is not idle. There is no monitor or keyboard connected to this Mac. I use screen sharing to interface with it, so by default, the network would not be idle...

Even when I am screen sharing with this computer, the problem still occurs until I actually use the Emby menubar icon. After that, the other apps are able to connect.

Also, one other thing I forgot to mention. I’m currently testing both Emby and Plex on the same machine. Sorry to keep making comparisons, but ... under the same exact parameters, Plex connects almost immediately while Emby either doesn’t connect, or takes a very long time to connect.

Can someone please help with this? It's very frustrating. I'm trying to convince my wife to use Emby rather than Plex (I have both installed, using the same media drives) ... but so far Emby has been a much bigger hassle.

We have the following devices, all of which have the Emby client installed: LG TV, Samsung TV, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield, Mac computers (using web browsers), iPhones, and iPads. And all these devices have this same problem. So I can only assume it has something to do with the installation on the server and how it is communicating with client apps.

When I launch Emby on the Apple TV, it starts with the "Starting Up" screen and the spinning wheel. This goes on for awhile, and then eventually it comes up on the "Welcome to Emby" screen, and has two options: Enter Server Address or Login With Connect. I'm assuming it defaults to this when it is unable to connect to the server.

On the Shield, I get a "Loading..." screen, which sits there indefinitely, until I finally double click the home button (I've let it sit for up to 10 minutes before trying to quit). At that point, I get the "Emby isn't responding" screen, and have the option to close the app.

On the local machine, if I click "Browse Library" in the menu bar, sometimes it works, but most of the time it just has the spinning wheel go for awhile, then nothing. But sometimes, after a minute or two, I finally get the option to log in as one of the two users on the server. But even when this login is successful, 1-2 minutes of waiting is way too long.

Typically, once I am able to get it to load on the local machine, then after that it is ok on the other devices.

It's not the network card, because this same machine is running Plex server, and at the same time Emby is giving me problems connecting, Plex is able to connect, play videos, etc. So I know the network is active and operating. It's only Emby that has a problem with connectivity.

Please help! I'm willing to send any info you might need...

it sounds like it's trying to connect with an ip address that isn't available. after it finally logs in, use the switch server function and manually connect to a new server using the ip address. it will end up replacing the existing server entry, and the manually entered address will take priority. See if that helps. Thanks.

Argh ... that's not working either.

I just read the fine print on the "Welcome to Emby" page (on Apple TV) ... it actually says "A local Emby server could not be found on your network." Even though there is one, obviously, on the network. Why it isn't seeing the server, I have no idea.

On the Apple TV, when I try to connect using the IP address of the server, I get the spinning wheel for a few seconds, and then it goes back to the "Welcome to Emby" screen.

On the LG TV, first I got the spinning wheel, then finally had the option to add server. I tried the IP address, and after spinning for awhile, I get a Connection Failure "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Pleas ensure it is running and try again."

On the iPad, at first I get the spinning wheel, again for a long time ... eventually, I get the option to add server. I enter the IP address, get the spinning wheel for awhile, then get the Connection Failure, same as above on the LG TV.

Interestingly enough, on the Shield ... as of now, it's working correctly. I was able to use Switch Server, and then it recognized the server and I was able to select it (it showed the IP address correctly). I also tried manually entering the IP address, and that worked as well.

All these devices are connected on the same network, so I have no idea why the Shield is seeing the server but the others are not.

adamstewiegreen

I have the same problem, and JUST had it happen to me again so here is a log file.

It's always when opening/browsing my library, and never/very rarely when going into the dashboard.

All my apps (Fire TV, android, iOS) are affected EXCEPT kodi (But I expect that's because it playing from SMB://, displays from a detailed cache and then updates when it can).

Log.txt

Edited by adamstewiegreen

AZRichG

When I open Emby from the menubar 'configure Emby' option the web page opens with the circle going around for 10-15 seconds, then I get the login page. So I type in my info and get the dashboard. However The usual 'you're up to date' info isn't there, just a box with no text and the 'Shutdown' option with no re-start next to it like usual. 

Once at this point things are quick to load up when I hit the home icon and the usual recordings are displayed with the Live TV, On now, etc.

Now that I'm logged in opening the dashboard via the menubar configure option loads right up WITH the version info and both restart & shutdown buttons. 

Seems to me that I have had to re-login a lot recently for some reason and that's where the delay is. 

adamstewiegreen

Luke: Thank you for the quick reply, and sorry about the delay.

It's pretty straight forward.  When I open my Emby library (ie. not the server app) the time it takes to load is often quite long (2 - 3 minutes). Specifically, for Chrome and Android this will mean I see the spinning circle until it eventually loads.  For Fire TV this means that, after waiting a while, I get an error (either volley error or "make sure you network is on" error - or both) then kicked to the server screen.  From there, clicking my username and/or server usually loads it quite quickly.

It's inconsistent.  For instance, today it loaded very quickly all day.

I hope that's helpful.  I should add that it doesn't matter if my server has been idle.  I've gone from watching something on my main tv to switching to my office and encountered the problem when opening the emby library on my office computer (which is the server computer).

AZRichG

When I instal a new version I always get the 'Allow Emby to accept network connections?' when it's up and running, I didn't get that with this version. Did any of you?

FWIW I went back to 3.2.36.0 as I would have connection problems from just about everything.

I'm actually a new Emby user, so the current server version is the only one I've ever used. Is there a download link for past versions? And also, how to install it ... just overwrite the current one, or do I need to uninstall first? I'd be happy to test out an older version to see if it affects this connection issue.

kaynemo

I too see a slower connections with the new Emby Server. It also takes longer to load the assets after logging in. Moreso, some videos, previously playing back fine, seem to stutter now. I did post previously that the newer Emby Server seems to work slower then before the new installation mode. It is still happening, sorry, but it is true.

AZRichG

I'm actually a new Emby user, so the current server version is the only one I've ever used. Is there a download link for past versions? And also, how to install it ... just overwrite the current one, or do I need to uninstall first? I'd be happy to test out an older version to see if it affects this connection issue.

I poked around and found the download for 3.2.36.0 somewhere through a link in another discussion. Sadly, I don't remember which one! I believe this is the link I used - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases, I scrolled down to 3.2.36.0 as it does what I need so far.

I actually found that link as well, thanks! I tried installing it, but it immediately started crashing when I tried to run it. Is there anything I need to do to uninstall before I reinstall an older version? Or did you just drop it on top of the previously installed app?

You're in uncharted territory

I have the same problem, and JUST had it happen to me again so here is a log file.

It's always when opening/browsing my library, and never/very rarely when going into the dashboard.

All my apps (Fire TV, android, iOS) are affected EXCEPT kodi (But I expect that's because it playing from SMB://, displays from a detailed cache and then updates when it can).

There are a couple slow responses in this log that have been resolved for the next release, thanks.

majorsl

Oh wow, I came in to report the same with my server on OS X too. For me, it started with the last release I think.  I see everyone is already all over it.

Glad to see a fix is in the pipe, thanks in advance!