Nested Collections

KOBEY

ability to be able to add a collection into another collection. ie: Spiderman Collection into a SuperHero Collection. like i could with mediabrowser with shortcuts. TIA

• Like 38
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...
LqHnyBear

Yes please. I'd love to be able to have nested collections. Like make a collection called marvel then have each individual marvel collection under that collection.

• Like 4

Aussiedroid

I kinda do this with genres (well for Superhero anyways), but not ideal I guess & not really collection centric.

I would find this handy too. For me, having a Star Wars collection, but with Prequel, Special Edition, Original etc would be great instead of them all grouping together into the one collection or all in individual collections. Same would be helpful for a few others too.

Edited by Aussiedroid

• 2 months later...

You'll be able to do this with the next release of emby server, although the main collections will still show them all flattened.

• 1 year later...

would be cool if we could get the feature to hide Collections that are nested from the overall Library.

If the Ironman Thor and Avengers Collections are allready in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Collection i dont need them to be shown alongside the MCU.

• Like 3

funwithmedia

would be cool if we could get the feature to hide Collections that are nested from the overall Library.

If the Ironman Thor and Avengers Collections are allready in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Collection i dont need them to be shown alongside the MCU.

Personally, I'd be interested in this being a per-Collection setting (eg, "Hide this Collection from main list if it is already included in another Collection" Yes/No), as opposed to a global setting (though I suppose you could have a global default and then override it per-Collection).

• Like 5

Nested collections are actually no longer officially supported as they presented several problems that have to be dealt with first.

Thanks.

• Sad 1

Yes, that was over a year and a half ago and we subsequently had to take the ability out of the UI due to problems.

Very few things are ever "canceled for good" :).  So, yes, it is something we'd still like to support.  It is just a matter of the priorities due to the difficulty in doing it. 

is there something like an upcoming features or priotity list? just curious what new features will be coming in the next months :D

I would suggest following the feature request topics. The most active ones are usually a good indication of what we'll be working on. And then you can also follow the beta releases to see active development.

• 4 months later...
braigo64

Bumping this because I've had a hell of a time trying to get nested collections to work only to fail miserably and realizing what minimal support there was has been pulled. Not even using the API works.  Hoping this gets put higher on the priorities list.

• Like 2

BKKK

I am bumping this because it used to work fine (for me at least) but now has been dropped (V4.4.2)

• Like 1

Happy2Play

You can still make nested collection manually or via the API (/Collections/{Id}/Items Adds items to a collection) link at bottom of Dashboard.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Item>
  <ContentRating>PG-13</ContentRating>
  <Added>8/28/2019 1:40:53 PM</Added>
  <LockData>false</LockData>
  <LocalTitle>MCU Collection</LocalTitle>
  <Genres>
    <Genre>Action</Genre>
    <Genre>Adventure</Genre>
    <Genre>Sci-Fi</Genre>
    <Genre>Thriller</Genre>
  </Genres>
  <Studios>
    <Studio>Marvel Studios</Studio>
  </Studios>
  <CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>Y:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\The Avengers Collection [boxset]</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>Y:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\Captain America Collection [boxset]</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
  </CollectionItems>
  <DisplayOrder>PremiereDate</DisplayOrder>
</Item>

braigo64

You can still make nested collection manually or via the API (/Collections/{Id}/Items Adds items to a collection) link at bottom of Dashboard.

I've done that both manually and through the API. It adds the collection to the xml file, but it doesn't show up in the UI.

Happy2Play

I've done that both manually and through the API. It adds the collection to the xml file, but it doesn't show up in the UI.

From my tests it doesn't show in Parent id library as said item technically is not in that parent folder it is virtual item with other virtual items.  It only appears in the My Media Collection library or via search.

braigo64

If the parent collection doesn't display the child collections then it's pointless to even use the API since I can't actually see anything.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Chyron

I would like Nested Collections to be reinstated. I have Audiobooks that are in Series collections that I would like to put those series into a subgenre collection.

Edited by Chyron
  • Like 2

rbjtech

I've been running with Nested Collections for a while now and have not seen any issues.

Creating them involves creating the links directly in the database which is strictly unsupported, so if you do not want to wait for the official support, then ping me a PM and I'll share the document I wrote on how to do it.

edit 2nd Feb 2024 - This no longer works ... :(

As an example - This is the Infinity Saga Collection comprising of the Phase 1,2 & 3 (Collections).

Capture.PNG.0d6e9eec1e4fc8236e2f5bec1445283f.PNG

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Meijinhada

Adding my vote for this.  I'm trying Emby through Kodi, and when I used MrMc, I had more than a few collections I had to manually create that would be nice to nest instead, like the MCU example already mentioned, or my Rifftrax.