"Scan media library" automatically?

BEis

I'm coming from Plex, so apologies for the comparison (although I'm sure you get it a lot) ... 

In Plex, there is an option to scan the media library whenever changes are made to the media library folders. This way, changes are made pretty much immediately whenever you add or change media files. Is there anything equivalent to this in Emby? I've only been able to find the scheduler, so you can set it up on a timer. But it would be great if it would trigger a scan any time I make a change in the file structure.

If this doesn't exist, maybe it could be a nice feature for a future update?

Hi, welcome. What you can do is click on a library in Emby library setup and enable the realtime monitor for that library, and then repeat for each library you wish to enable this for. Thanks.

Hmm, I don't think this is working as expected. Unless I'm missing something.

I have "Enable Realtime Monitoring" checked for all my libraries. I just updated a movie to a new version with a higher resolution. It has been about 15 minutes, and it still hasn't been updated in Emby. My Plex database updated almost immediately, but I'm still waiting for Emby to update to the new version.

It does say "on supported file systems" so is it possible it is not supported on my system? The server is on a Mac Mini, and the media drive is an attached NAS. Please let me know what other information you might need...

Still can't get this to work. I have to schedule library scans every 15 minutes, which isn't ideal. It would be great if it could automatically scan whenever a change is made.

My media is on network drives, is that why it isn't working as expected?

Ok, here's an example... (and an unexpected crash during this process ... maybe a different issue, but maybe you can diagnose the crash as well)

In order to run a test, first I turned off my scheduled library scans, which I normally have set for every 15 minutes. At 7:45 pm, I added a new file to my movie library by creating a new folder and dropping the file into it. I then let Radarr scan and rename the file according to my naming scheme. Then I waited for 15 minutes, until approximately 8pm. During this time, I used the Emby interface, just clicking through different menus, just to make sure Emby was active and not idle. Incidentally, during this time, the files was imported automatically into Plex (about a minute or so after I copied the file over).

At this point, Emby still had not scanned the new file which I had imported. So, just to be sure, I manually scanned the library at around 8:00, to make sure the movie can be properly imported. During this scan, Emby server crashed, and I had to restart the server app. After restarting the app, I re-ran the manual scan, at which point it successfully imported the movie I had previously copied to the movie folder. But please be aware, this import was a manual import, not automatically imported by real time monitoring.

I'm including my logs from the server. Because of the crash, there are several logs, so I'm including everything. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me. Thanks!

Emby server logs.zip

Edited by BEiseman

Unrelated, but the crash is coming from the email plugin and appears to be a defect in the .net core runtime. in other words, there's probably nothing we can do about it so we'll need to make sure the plugin is hidden from the catalog on MacOS.

Ok, I already removed the email plugin, just to be safe.

There were actually two files that were added. The second one was not intended to be part of the test, but it was added before the 15 minutes was up. But it was also not detected by the real time monitoring. Let me know if you would like me to run another test with just one file, so we have cleaner results...

Ok, there are errors in your log about the i/o notification buffer filling up. On windows we have already resolved this long ago by customizing the buffer size. For the next release we'll have that change be applied to MacOS as well. Thanks.

• Like 1

So this is an interesting development ... after you told me about the email plugin causing errors in the logs, I went ahead and deleted it from the server.

Since then, last night 2 new TV episodes were added, and this morning I added a movie and 1 more TV show ... and all were automatically added to Emby. So as of now, it looks like it is working correctly. Is it possible the email plugin was causing the problem all along?

Well shoot, it stopped working again.

So here's what I did, and I'm still testing different configurations so let me know if this could be affecting things.

Last night, when I started testing this, I removed all scheduled tasks under the "Scan media library" entry. So there were no scheduled library scans. When I did this, along with removing the email plugin, the automatic library scans started working.

So this morning, after a few successful automatic scans, I went back in and added a scheduled library scan for "On application startup." I figured it would be a good idea to have a scan whenever the server starts. Now that I've done this, it is no longer automatically scanning when new media is added.

I'm going to remove that scheduled entry, to see if automatic scans start working again. Is it possible that automatic scans don't work whenever there are scheduled scan entries present? If so, that sounds like a bug.

I'm including a new log so you can see if there are any clues there...

Log.txt.zip

Oh, I see ... ok. I thought post #11 was referring to the email plugin causing the server crash. Now I see you were referring to the problem with the scans. Ok, I'll look forward to the fix in the next release.