Emby Web App on my fridge

jachin99

jachin99

I have played around with this a little bit, and the home page doesn't do too bad but when I go into things like my TV guide, or I try to play a video, its slow to load. What can I do to speed things up? Its a Samsung family hub fridge with tizien 3.0

Well done! It probably just doesn't have much horsepower. For starters, I would make sure you're playing things that don't need transcoding. That will definitely help them load quicker.

jachin99

I'm looking to use it as more of a second screen/remote control than anything else.  Now that I have been able to spend some time with it, more specifically i can see myself using to BROWSE my emby material and then send said material to an actual TV more than anything else.  I think the only video I'll likely play from it will be Movie trailers.  I would also like to know if there is a way I can get the fridge to load my TV guide quicker.  So far I've tried to cut out a ton of channels I don't get.  Also for the web app, does emby HAVE to transcode while playing video to a web browser, or while casting emby to a PC?  

Also for the web app, does emby HAVE to transcode while playing video to a web browser, or while casting emby to a PC?  

Emby will always direct play without transcoding when possible. To learn more, check out our wiki on Transcoding:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

jachin99

The wiki says bluray and DVDs cannot be transcoded but I have my media stored in MKV format so those files should be able to be transcoded, correct?  

Edited by jachin99

jachin99

What can the emby web app cast to?  When I select cast inside of an emby app, I see all of my devices, but when I do this inside EWA, I only get this device, and If I'm lucky chromecast.  Is this a normal limitation of the web app?

• 2 years later...
Mpmarvin999

Hate resurrect an old thread but emby is quite sketchy for me too on my fridge. Any way you guys can get with Samsung an optimize this some? A lot of freezes when playing live tv from my HDHomeRun Duo. Is there a way to tailor the preferences for specific clients on the server end?

Hate resurrect an old thread but emby is quite sketchy for me too on my fridge. Any way you guys can get with Samsung an optimize this some? A lot of freezes when playing live tv from my HDHomeRun Duo. Is there a way to tailor the preferences for specific clients on the server end?

Hi there, how are you running it?

jachin99

Take a look at the quality settings in the web app on the fridge. I have mine set at a Max of 720. I also have my crf rate set to prefer better performance. It's not always perfect but I have listened to tv in the background on this thing for entire days working on my kitchen.

Mpmarvin999

Take a look at the quality settings in the web app on the fridge. I have mine set at a Max of 720. I also have my crf rate set to prefer better performance. It's not always perfect but I have listened to tv in the background on this thing for entire days working on my kitchen.

Thanks for replying. Wife and I spend some time when eating at our breakfast nook so it’s proven to be a daily used feature.

I was playing around yesterday. I been playing between 720 and 1080. What speed do you have yours set to?

Hi there, how are you running it?

Not sure what you’re looking for but it’s wireless for one, no option for a wired connection which is what I would have preferred unless I missed something. As you know there’s no app so I have to run it through the built in browser. Anything specific I can answer let me know. Really would like to get this to be solid.

jachin99

@@Mpmarvin999 You can even try knocking it down to 480p.  I think mine is two or 4 mbps, or something low like that.  You really can't see the screen up close, and its still perfect for things like eating breakfast in the kitchen nook.  

Luke, Its the internet app that is usually bundled with the galaxy phones.  I checked the user agent really quick, and it said something like Mozilla 5.0 /Tizien 4.0/SamsungBrowers/Chrome 1.0.  I can get the exact string if you want.  

Yes I would try just lowering the in app quality setting to something suitable for the device and network connection.

jachin99

One more bit of advice. If you use the Samsung family hub Android app I would stay on Android 9 or lower if possible because after updating my pixel XL to Android 10 family hub crashes and I have to use smart things, which doesnt have all of the features I liked in family hub.

I read the changelog for the latest update and Samsung says it will be updated for android 10 in January.

Edited by jachin99

Mpmarvin999

mine is set to 1280 x720 at 8.4mbps, and its showing direct play via http.  The stream is mpeg2ts from my HDHR Prime.

I set mine to 720p at 3mbps and it’s still feezing up. Plays well for about 10 minutes give or take. My stored media seems to play well but live tv still is a problem. Where do you see “direct play via http”?

I set mine to 720p at 3mbps and it’s still feezing up. Plays well for about 10 minutes give or take. My stored media seems to play well but live tv still is a problem. Where do you see “direct play via http”?

Check the stats feature inside the video player. 

Mpmarvin999

Check the stats feature inside the video player.

I brought up stats for nerds and took a pic. Does this help?

post-307593-0-90205100-1577912402_thumb.jpeg

I see it’s transcoding so I changed to 10mbps and now

I’ll see if this helps.post-307593-0-13198400-1577912991_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mpmarvin999

jachin99

Have you confirmed live tv play smoothly in the web app on other devices? It looks like your stored media direct plays but tv transcodes. Have you tried adjusting the crf setting in the server dashboard under transcoding? Try adjusting that to see if performance improves.

Edited by jachin99

• 1 year later...
Mpmarvin999

As an update there has been plenty bumps in the road with this. It really comes/came down to Samsung's browser. Latest update is the best yet. I can leave emby on the fridge for hours and it's stable. I think their browser is maturing as well as Emby I guess.